OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Custom Built 7MM-08....What scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Built 7MM-08....What scope?
    Posted: December/26/2007 at 22:39
I'm trading my 5R .308 for a custom built 7MM-08 that is a tack driver to say the least.  I have a 4-16x44 Meopta R1 Scope on my .308 and really don't like target shooting at 2-300 yards because I can't see the target that well.  I would like the scope to atleast have 20x power if not higher.  I have looked at a Pentax Lightseeker 6-24x50 and a 20x42 super sniper.  I will probably hunt with the gun some so take that into account as well.  I would like to keep it under $600.  Thanks!

Here is the 7mm-08
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=159150

C Cape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 12:07
All these views and no replies?  Someone give me some input guys!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 12:14
Well to feel a 4x16 isn't enough scope for 200-300yds, and wanting something at least 20 power but for hunting and not more than $600 kind of makes it a difficult post to answer. I guess a 4200 elite in 6x24 or a monarch in 5x20 would be pretty good choices. My favorite, the conquest would be over your budget in 6x20. I would think a 4x16x44 meopta would be a perfect choice for 200-300 yd target shooting and hunting....just me I guess....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 12:17
Originally posted by C Cape C Cape wrote:

All these views and no replies?  Someone give me some input guys!

LOVE your avatar!! Wink

Seriously, welcome to The OT!

Why do you feel like you need a 20x plus scope, my friend?

Can you give us a little more insight to exactly the kind of shooting you'll be doing with the 7mm-08??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 12:30
really think about how steady you will have to hold the rifle on 20x while a huge buck is walking out in front of you at 300yds
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 12:41

Why do I have the feeling theres going to be a "Hey get a Kahles off The Sample List" post sometime in the NEAR future?? Whatever 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 12:42
C Cape,
Given your price limit and 20X min requirement, there isn't very many suitable hunting scopes to choose from, so I would go with either the nikon 5-20X44 Monarch or the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X50 (or maybe the 6-24X40, but with this much magnification, the larger objective is an asset):

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8771-218-nikon-5-20x44-monarch-riflescope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1308-185-bushnell-4-16x50-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

However, I too wonder why you feel you need no less than 20X for a 7-08 hunting rifle.  I personally have a 1.75-6X32 on my 7-08 and it is plenty powerful enough for all the hunting I do up to max shooting distances of about 300 yards, but then my 7-08 is a lighter, more compact rifle than that one.  With 20X on the upper end, yes, you'll have better precision for target shooting, but at the cost of less field of view on the lower end, much increased bulk, extra weight, lower light transmission, increased optical aberrations on the higher powers, increased cost, and adjustable objective/side focus (a feature I DO NOT want on a big game hunting riflescope, and with 20X+ magnification, you don't have a choice).  If you need to take a quick shot at a deer at 20 yards, you will want more FOV than the 5-6X low end offers.  Even though that rifle is undoubtedly very accurate, if you're going to do that much target shooting that justifies the high magnification, then a sporter weight deer rifle in 7-08 isn't the best choice anyway.  With a more moderate power scope, you can get better optics for the same or slightly less $, and I would personally prefer slightly better optics over more power.  If it were me, for that rifle, I would probably go with a 2.5-10X, or maybe 3-12X, 4-12X...but that's me.

Edited by RifleDude - December/27/2007 at 12:52
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 13:38
I also really like the avatar! As a side note my 7mm-08 wears a 3.5x10x44 conquest and it works very good.

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 13:50
C Cape........................You should heed Rifledude`s advice!!!....In the first place, do you have a problem with your eyes causing you to want a 20x scope? If that is the case, you have another option. Get a target scope and a hunting scope! More than $600 but nevertheless an option!...........If you don`t have an eye problem with a 3x9 power for hunting, then that would be the max. variable I would consider for a 7mm/08!!!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 15:23
To get a 20x scope you can hunt with? And under 600? Y'all need to get real at some point.  That's like saying I want a one ton hemi powered crew cab and is easy to park 4x4, that gets 40mpg for under ten grand...  You need to focus a little better.

First why do you want 20x?  Define why you can't see the target well with the R-1 and I think we can be of much more help.  Is the target too dark?  Is the target fuzzy and unclear?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

C Cape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 20:18
I want something I can see a target at 300 yards with.  Target isn't fuzzy or unclear.  My meopta is very clear at 16x but I can't see the target that well to where I like shooting at 300 much.  I bought a 6-24x50 Pentax Lightseeker today.  The rifle won't be hunted with much but might be taken to the stand every now and then (Normal shots up to 500 yards).  Normally I would not be putting a price range on the scope I'm putting on this gun but being a college student puts a big damper on the money part.  I really wish Meopta made a scope higher than 16x.  I figure this lightseeker will be a decent scope and I might step up to a Mark 4, Zeiss, Swavroski later on down the road.  Thanks!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 06:19
Hope the pentex does what you want.....they are pretty good scopes.

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 06:29
 i still think its a step backwards the meopta is a better scope
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 07:15
I think that if hunting is going to happen with this rifle that going to a variable was a wise choice however, the parallax/focus adjustment combined with the higher lowest power are going to make closer shots rather difficult. I believe the lowest setting for the focus is 25 yrds. It might even be 50 yrds I can't recall right off. You may want to look to be sure. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 07:42
brightness/resolution will not be a big difference between the two scopes. Would maybe take resolution/acuity charts to see the difference actually.

Focus

C Cape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 16:51
I'm probably going to miss my meopta but they make them every day.
ncdrummer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 10:09
Wanna rid yourself of that crummy old Meopta?  Let me know.  Drummer
C Cape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 21:08
I've already gotten rid of it.....Wish I wouldn't of!  Went to the range with the pentax....I wasn't really impressed.  It's pretty clear till about 14 power then it's blurry.  They have a 4.5-14x50 LR VXIII that I can get for the same price.  Would yall change the scope or leave the pentax?  I don't think I'm going to be happy with any scope above 16X power for around $600.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 08:47
Guess I would recommend the 6.5x20 conquest but its over your budget. Staying at $600 how about the new monarchs?

Focus

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 14:42
yeah, meopta is good glass for the money - i would get the 4200 elite w/ side focus if i were you. it's a great scope for the money.

good luck

J
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic