OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

unburnt powder?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unburnt powder?
    Posted: December/26/2007 at 22:23
Hello,  I have been loading my 44 mag with 20.4 grains of 2400 using WLP primers and hornaday 240 gr bullets like the manual suggested.  After firing, there is quite a bit of powder that hasn't been burnt.  Not a lot, I guess.  I haven't weighed it.  It's probably less than a grain, but after firing 100 shells, I probably have enough powder to load another round.  I wonder if I should be using a magnum primer?  The manual doesn't say to use a mag primer, and winchester doesn't even make a large pistol mag prime, CCI does though.  I don't mind the powder not being burnt if this is common.   Thanks   
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 09:08
you could try a magnum and see what happens
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 09:10
2400 just does that.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 09:12
we shoot 2400 out of our 218 bee and it doesnt do that, and that uses a small rifle primer, course its only like 14 gr of it or something
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 10:33
2400 is known for this, switch to blue dot or 296.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 15:26
I'm guessing that this is out of a revolver and not a TC or long gun?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 15:38
Judging from the primers hes using I'd say you are right, not a lot of barrel length like a rifle or carbine.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 22:46
You're right.  It's a revolver with a 7.5 inch barrel.  I think I will try the blue dot powder.  I don't know if all alliant powder is "dirty", but the 2400 sure seems to be.  
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 23:12
6 1/2 inch barrel.  my bad.  
303Guy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 23:55
My 44 mag did that with MP200 if I did not put enough of it in.  So did a number of other guns I used it in.  My 44 would burn cleanly with less of it then some other guns I saw but mine had a heavier hammer blow.  I was using CCI large pistol primers.  MR200 is similar to 2400.  (But not the same).
Regards
303Guy
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 22:41
Does a heavier hammer blow make a difference?  I had an instance where I pulled the trigger, the hammer fell, and nothing happened.  Scared the heck out of me.  I was afraid to open the action.  There was a dent in the primer.  The guy next to me said that sometimes if the primer is not seated in far enough that will happen.  He said to stick it back in the chamber and fire it again cause the primer might have been pushed in farther from the first time.  I was not going to try that.  What would be the cause of that in most cases.   Bad primer? Bad seating?
303Guy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 00:45
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

Does a heavier hammer blow make a difference? 

I would say so, yes.  My 303 with it's rediculously heavy firing pin was complete immune to improperly seated primers.  My other pistols would sometimes not fire if the primer was seated too deep.  (This crushes the primer somewhat which apparently disrupts the detonation of the compound, causing irregular igniton of the powder charge).  A second hammer blow would usually set of the round.  My 44 mag revolver would not accept rounds with primers improperly seated.  But it never failed to fire and the primer indent was very healthy.  (I started using large rifle primers for simplicity sake, and they worked just fine too).  I examined fired cases from another revolver that did not burn it's powder very cleanly and the primer indent was 'weak'.  A gun builder told me that the firing pin strike was an importand aspect of good ignition and this is what I observed.

Hope this helps,
Regards
303Guy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic