OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Scope for the money

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Scope for the money
    Posted: December/26/2007 at 15:17

I am currently looking for the scope that will perform the best in low light conditions for the money. I am limited on the amount I can spend to around $750.00. I want an illuminated reticule and would like to have 50mm or better (however this is not as important as the reticule). I know from reading the posting there will be many different opinions on brands names but all suggestions are welcome. I intend on shooting in the 600 yard range but most of the time it will be 200 - 300 yard range mainly shooting whitetail deer and bear. Dependability and quality are number 1 goals of course. Like I said the name brand is not important but I do want the best scope I can get for the money I spend.

Your opinions are welcome... let the learning experience begin Yippee

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 15:49
http://www.swfa.com/pc-9144-1134-new-meopta-3-12x56-meostar-r1-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx 

this is your best bet for the MONEY - illumination is expensive combined w/ good glass.

i have a 56mm meostar and love it. 
Only downside to this scope is that the eye relief is kind of short - so if it's a hard Kicking gun - you may be out of luck for the budget.

http://www.light-stream.co.uk/spec2.htm - you may be able to get one of these shipped to the U.S. - i have one and it's really really good for lowlight precision shooting. i put the glass on par w/ elite 4200 or conquest - it's heavy though, but built like a tank.

good luck. illumination and good glass are gonna cost money.

let us know what you find.

J
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 15:50
other suggestion would be a good kahles or zeiss conquest w/ #4 reticle - it's the next best thing to illuminated reticle for lowlight.

J
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 17:46
I'm just not into illuminated reticles so my pic would be the kahles with a 7a reticle or the conquest with a 4a.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
30-06man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30-06man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 19:51
Bushnell 4200 with Firefly would be the best.
Rick

Don't Point and Click... Aim and Fire!
snake_master1967 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 21:38

The 4200 elite with Firefly seems nice... I don't feel comfortable having to charge the reticule.

That being said.... let's forget about illuminated reticules and just worry about quality optics... What's going to give the best sight picture in low light for the low limit I have?

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 22:27
This is what I suggested to you on your Shepard post a few days ago.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7279-185-bushnell-25-10x50-elite-4200-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 - 30mm - 4a with illuminated dot

You get an excellent deal on a scope with very good glass, 4a reticle, and illumination. The good news is you'll have almost $300.00 dollars left over to put towards something else if needed.

Edited by mike650 - December/26/2007 at 22:40
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 06:13
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

This is what I suggested to you on your Shepard post a few days ago.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7279-185-bushnell-25-10x50-elite-4200-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 - 30mm - 4a with illuminated dot

You get an excellent deal on a scope with very good glass, 4a reticle, and illumination. The good news is you'll have almost $300.00 dollars left over to put towards something else if needed.

Thanks Mike.... I'm going to Bass Pro in the next week or so and I'm going to look at it and compare it with other scope they have that may be higher end optics. Let my eyes see the difference before I make a final decision. But the Elite 4200 is at the top of the list so far, unless the Conquest or something else beats it out for the $$$.
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 06:21
snake,

You said you are willing to do away with the illuminated reticle so your best bet is going to be a Kahles.  Get a KX new for around $800 or get a CL off the sample list in the $650-750 range.  Try to get a 4a reticle, it's your best bet for low light.  I have the 4a in my Kahles scopes and it's easy to see in low light.  You might find better prices than these, you will have to look around. 

Edited by TheDrakeTaker - December/27/2007 at 06:23
Robert
scrubhunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrubhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 12:00
I have to also speak for the firefly.  I love mine and theres no battery issues.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 19:53
Does anyone have a larger view of the Zeiss Conquest ZRF reticule? If so could you drop a link, please.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 20:23
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 06:13
The Kahles 3-9X42 CL for $700 is the best deal in scopes right now.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 14:41
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

The Kahles 3-9X42 CL for $700 is the best deal in scopes right now.

+1.  I tend to agree with that... it's a steal, if one can afford to spend $700 to begin with.  Otherwise, in the "under $400" scopes it's hard to beat the Elite 4200, in a new scope that is. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 23:47

I know this might seem redundant but I’m new to the higher end scopes and am trying to learn from those who know first hand before I drop big money on a scope. Keep end mind the best scope I’ve ever had to date is a (at least) 10 year old Tasco Mag IV 4 - 18 x 50mm and a Bushnell banner dusk & dawn 3 - 9 x 40.

I’ve looked at some of the other postings around about 40, 42, 44, 50mm objectives. I realize that once you start talking about better glass you get better sight pictures or views. I know from looking through a Burris Black diamond that there is a world of difference from what I’m use too. I presently seldom use higher than 6 power one because in low light my scopes won’t give a good view of the reticule to make a clean shot. I don’t see where it will it serve me to go higher than a 10 or 14 power at all and will 42, 44, 50 mm be the best over all for what I want (hunting mainly). The weight is not to much of a concern cause a normally sit in a blind or box stand and have a good shooting rest. I just want to make sure I look at every angle before I drop 6 months of saving on a scope. So I am sure for the next few weeks I’ll have more questions. Currently the scopes I am considering are Elite 4200, Kahles CL, Zeiss conquest, and I’m looking at the IOR scopes also. As I said before Opinions are welcome and needed!
The one constant in this ever changing world is……… Change!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 07:20
Do yourself a favor before buying any of the above scopes recommended, despite the fact that I am sure they are all very good.  Take a look through a Trijicon TR-22.  Without going through a near orgasmic description of what I experienced when I first looked through the scope as compared to any scope that I own or had looked through, it is absolutely amazing.  It does not have an IR, but an illuminated triangle on a post, that is adjustable by means of a tritium collector, no batteries.  Works well at night and is not too bright, as one member on this site had said.  I used it in the pouring rain a couple weeks ago without any problem.  This model has a 56 mm. objective with 2.5-10x mag. range and comes in around 800 dollars.  It is advertised as water resistant, but after talking to the company, this is only because an incident where somebody had submerged one of their scopes in muddy water and if I am not correct ran over it with some type of vehicle.  Regardless, they replaced it, but instead of continuing to use the term waterproof they changed their terminology, much like watch makers did.  They were previously guaranteed to be waterproof to a depth of 9 or 10 feet of water for a certain period of time and they have changed none of their manufacturing methods and they guarantee their scopes in the harshest of weather.  Please take a look through one before buying anything.

Edited by Dolphin - December/29/2007 at 07:26
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 07:46
Under $400 4200 and smaller conquests(2.5x8 3x9)......under $600 conquests(3.5x10 4.5x14).....over this the kahles first and then the swaros and better zeiss scopes. Maybe everyone don't shop and pay what I do for my scopes but that pretty much states my money spending views.......

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 09:06
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

Under $400 4200 and smaller conquests(2.5x8 3x9)......under $600 conquests(3.5x10 4.5x14).....over this the kahles first and then the swaros and better zeiss scopes. Maybe everyone don't shop and pay what I do for my scopes but that pretty much states my money spending views.......

Focus

I agree with this and would also add some of the Nikons to this. The Team Primos 3-9 is an excellent deal @ $216.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 09:37
Yeah I should have added the monarchs.....no reason I didn't, just not thinking I suppose......

Focus

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 10:24
What's the major differnce between the tube sizes? I see 30mm and 1" are the common sizes. Which is better?
The one constant in this ever changing world is……… Change!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic