OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Request Opinions:  Conquest vs Swarovski A-Line
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Request Opinions: Conquest vs Swarovski A-Line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Request Opinions: Conquest vs Swarovski A-Line
    Posted: December/26/2007 at 13:43
Looking at Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10X 44mm or Swarovski A-Line 3-10X 42mm.  I am not sure that I am receiving value for my dolllar by spending $400 more for the Swarovski.  There may be opinions about that, so fire away!  3-9 will not do, so the Kahles supporters will not be able to get me to join their club.  Need a 1" tube for my fancy one piece rings that I already have.

But.....if I take a look over at the Sample list....about $100 more would buy that Swarovski.  There are ring marks and warranty issues to consider.  Is a "not new" Swarovski a better deal than a new Conquest with warranty?  Let the opining begin!
MOJO
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 15:17
Why won't 3-9 do?  It's a shame because you are missing out one some great optics. (Kahles)
Robert
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 17:47
The scopes aren't in the same league......thats why it takes a used swaro to be close to a new conquest.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 20:17
Going up only 1 power from my present 2.5-8 didn't seem to be enough of a change considering that I was not satisfied with the 8 power, hence the decision to go to 10 power, without getting involved with side focus, and/or AO, which adds more weight. 

I have no issues with the Kahles line at all, who obviously have an excellent scope! 
MOJO
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 08:41
I have the Swarovski 3x10x42 you are looking at -It is an awesome optic. If you can find a place to look through both that might help.  If you can pull it off - I'd go Swarovski , but you honestly couldn't go wrong either way. The extra money is your decision to make in the balance of the money  vs  the reward  .
crimsontide View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimsontide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 15:55
If you can fit it in your budget, I would suggest that you go with the Swarovski.
Crimsontide
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 17:48
IF 9X isn't enough different from 8X, then 10X probably won't get it either.  Think about 12 or 14X.  You can get a Kahles 3-12X56 for the same money as the Swaro.  Duh!!!!!  IF that's too heavy look at the Leupold VXIII 4.5-14.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 18:35
Thanks for your candor!  You don't sound the least bit left out that you don't have a Kahles.
MOJO
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimsontide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 18:46

I heard Kahles is owned by Swarovski.  IF that's true, then I guess a Kahles is ALMOST a Swarovski.    ( Just kidding you Kahles fans. It's all in fun and Kahles are fine scopes)Yippee

Crimsontide
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 18:52

I admire the loyalty of those Kahles owners.  I am already going from a 36mm objective to a 42mm or 44mm.  I am not a fan of the larger 50mm much less 56mm.  Just me, folks.  Also I wanted to stay on the lighter side with 16 oz. maximum as one of my criteria. 

I hate to think what Focus might say if I started making comparisons between a Swaro and a Leupy.  I already have a Leupy.  Thanks for making me look again though!    

MOJO
PaJack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 19:00
This is my first post here!! I own a 3-9-50mm and a 4.5-14-44mm Conquest and they are excelent scopes. I have a Leupold on other guns but the Zeiss are much better in my opinion...Big%20Smile
Jack
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 06:25
Focus would say.....between a swaro and a leupold.......get the swaro...between a conquest and a swaro.....get the swaro......... and don't bother to look back....just look thru your new scope :>)!

Focus

Edited by Focus - December/28/2007 at 06:30

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 18:31
Hey Focus!  Good to hear back from you.  You get the last word as far as I am concerned.  It was best not to get those Kahles Klub people all bent out of shape on a Kahles vs Swaro debate, which probably will never be settled here, but sure is fun opining!  Looks like a Swaro for me, even if the new one ends up being a slightly used one!  Maybe I'll get lucky and land one with a 4a!  Thanks to all for all of the posts on this subject   Happy New Year too, and always remember, "you gotta get the mojo workin"! 
MOJO
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 18:46
Hey Mojo I think you'll like the swaros....hope you find a 4a reticle. Happy New Year to you too......

Focus

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimsontide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 19:19
I too think you will like the Swarovski. Good luck in finding the one that's right for you.
Crimsontide
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 00:03
+2

Yippee
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 16:05
True Confessions.  It's time to come clean on an old post.  

I just could not pull the trigger on that Swaro that I thought I was going to buy.  It was more $ than I really wanted to spend. But I did end up with a 4A in the end after all.  I went back to the drawing board and did some further review.  I just kept looking at those Kahles, and what a value they were.  It was time to open my horizons to the 50mm scope.

After a lot of patience, and persistence, and some help from Chris, my Kahles KX 3.5-10X50, 4A Reticle, from the Sample List, was shipped yesterday.  I am really looking forward to seeing it.  There was a question about the mechanical reticle, on the plex and 4A reticles on the KX  being deal breakers, until I realized that every one of the more than 50 deer I have harvested, died at the hands of a mechanical reticle.  Quallity is quality. 

There was also the question about the service center being up in the air.  I suppose nobody wants to end up sending their scope to Austria, and waiting who knows how long before you get it back.  And what do you do in the meantime?  I've got that base covered too.  Right pyro?

If I had any second thoughts about it, they were allieved when I read the very nice article in the February edition of the NRA American Hunter on the Kahles KX 3.5-10X50, with the 4D reticle.  Maybe some of you have read it.  I'm sure that the article went to print before any of the news came out about the big break-up.   

There are more people to thank in this forum than I can list.  I've had more belly laughs in the last couple of months than I can remember.  All in good fun, and never at anyone's expense.  I could read the Big Squeeze's posts all day, and Bushnell has probably already offered him a job!  And Pyro has been a good sport, even though I give him the raspberries about the .270 O'Connor.   And Ed?.....the only thing I could think of after buying the Kahles was ...............HEE HEE HEE!!!!
MOJO
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 09:09
Welcome to  Club Kahles.
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 09:11
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

True Confessions.  It's time to come clean on an old post.  

I just could not pull the trigger on that Swaro that I thought I was going to buy.  It was more $ than I really wanted to spend. But I did end up with a 4A in the end after all.  I went back to the drawing board and did some further review.  I just kept looking at those Kahles, and what a value they were.  It was time to open my horizons to the 50mm scope.

After a lot of patience, and persistence, and some help from Chris, my Kahles KX 3.5-10X50, 4A Reticle, from the Sample List, was shipped yesterday.  I am really looking forward to seeing it.  There was a question about the mechanical reticle, on the plex and 4A reticles on the KX  being deal breakers, until I realized that every one of the more than 50 deer I have harvested, died at the hands of a mechanical reticle.  Quallity is quality. 

There was also the question about the service center being up in the air.  I suppose nobody wants to end up sending their scope to Austria, and waiting who knows how long before you get it back.  And what do you do in the meantime?  I've got that base covered too.  Right pyro?

If I had any second thoughts about it, they were allieved when I read the very nice article in the February edition of the NRA American Hunter on the Kahles KX 3.5-10X50, with the 4D reticle.  Maybe some of you have read it.  I'm sure that the article went to print before any of the news came out about the big break-up.   

There are more people to thank in this forum than I can list.  I've had more belly laughs in the last couple of months than I can remember.  All in good fun, and never at anyone's expense.  I could read the Big Squeeze's posts all day, and Bushnell has probably already offered him a job!  And Pyro has been a good sport, even though I give him the raspberries about the .270 O'Connor.   And Ed?.....the only thing I could think of after buying the Kahles was ...............HEE HEE HEE!!!!

mojo, no problem friend im cool!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 09:30
Hey, Mojo-----like RifleDude said several days ago--you are not going to have any trouble with Kahles warranty or service....they are just going through some corporate changes right now due to their divorce from Swarovski. I wouldn't even think about it!.....but I am a Dinosaur!! HA! I EXPECT the darn things to work!

Personally ( nothing against Swarovski...), but I hope that Kahles kicks their butt in the marketplace because of the way that Swarovski handled the marketing of the Kahles line....Swarovski had a very patronizing attitude toward Kahles products...trying to position Kahles as Swarovski's little, not-quite-as-good protege.                  --Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic