OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Aimpoint Comp ML3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aimpoint Comp ML3
    Posted: December/25/2007 at 09:19

I have both an EOTECH and a Aimpoint the aimpoint is on my LAR-9, the EOTECH is on my M-4.  Recommendations in regards to what i should do with the aimpoint?  I like it but i still feel like it doesnt give me the feel of a true reflex site as I keep wanting to close one eye to acquire the target.  The EOTech is set up as a Co-Witness to my iron sites the aimpoint is as well, but it doesnt seem to hold its zero.

Maybe its me.. any suggestions?
If we are kept in an information rich environment then there is no excuse for stupidity. Therefore being kept abreast of such info, let us resort to the one thing we no to do best... DRINK MORE BEER!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 10:08
a good way to get over the one eye problem is to practice with a scoped handgun, the skills will move over to your rifle work. something like a Mark II, use your aimpoint on it and switch it back and forth. If you are using co-witness I'm guessing LE or military but am asking -- does the grid seem to be moving with respect to the iron sight co-witness, or with respect to the bullet impact. (if your LE the need to practice both eyes is more important).
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 14:06
Originally posted by SoonerShooter SoonerShooter wrote:

Recommendations in regards to what i should do with the aimpoint?  I like it but i still feel like it doesn't give me the feel of a true reflex site as I keep wanting to close one eye to acquire the target.  The EOTech is set up as a Co-Witness to my iron sites the aimpoint is as well, but it doesn't seem to hold its zero.

Maybe its me.. any suggestions?

Which optic is not holding zero? The Aimpoint?
What type of mount?

I never had any trouble shooting an Aimpoint or an Eo with both eyes open.
I would try to quickly rectify that problem you have. Bad juju. 
Especially if you ever go to a gun class. They really prefer, check that, INSIST that you shoot with both eyes open. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SoonerShooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 16:38
The iron site co-witness.. the dot doesn't seem to stay put.  Its not how i am positioning the cheek weld either.  IM just wondering if it isnt due to movement from my shoulder... maybe?   But when i use my EOTech it doesnt have the problem.

If we are kept in an information rich environment then there is no excuse for stupidity. Therefore being kept abreast of such info, let us resort to the one thing we no to do best... DRINK MORE BEER!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 16:42
The EOTech isnt having any problems. The Aimpoint seems to drift from time to time from the iron site co-witness... I think i figured the problem out though.   When i shoot on the bench it doesnt budge.. i think it has to do with a combination of things, the CAA saddle, the position of my noggin and my breathing rhythm.  (I took it out and used it and found some drift on the EO as well until i set down and practiced my breathing and removed the CAA Saddle.

Go figure!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Ugh-Rah!!!! 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 21:34
there is no change in poi using eo or aimpoint with shoulder movement or the eye in relation to off axis position that's their big advantage, however it is the rate BUIS system that really locks up good, especially the front, does yours???
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoonerShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 10:54
Thanks Cheaptrick, your PM's answered my question.  I got a new mount and it did the trick.  This one is a loaner until i get my new one ordered... (Through SWFA of course). 

But i took out out and hit with out any problem.  I have noticed now that i have posistioned the Aimpoint toward the front of the weapon, i get a much cleaner field of view as well.

Thanks to everyone who commented!

---SoonerShooter
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 11:18
Excellent!! 
Glad you got it working. Thunbs%20Up

I did the same thing with my M2 in a Larue mount. I placed it out farther than most people's I've seen. Worked well for me like that. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic