OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-X II vs.Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-X II vs.Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-X II vs.Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest
    Posted: December/24/2007 at 13:43
hey guys, ive narrowed down my choice to these two scopes and the leo is $199.95 vs the zeiss being $349.95 and I don't really know the big difference as to why the zeiss is significantly more expensive. If anyone can offer their thoughts on each and whats the better buy. Thanks for all yalls help.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 13:47
varixII or vxII?? either way it doesnt matter the zeiss is better optically than either of those, you will notice better quality glass better low light performance and a cleaner picture in general
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 14:52

Did you mean the newer VXII or the older Vari-X II??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 14:54
Oooops! Didn't see pyro's post.......Embarrased

Agreed, the VX 2 or the Vari-X 2 won't out perform the Conquest.
The Leupold VX 3 is a better comparision in that regard.
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 15:18
thank you for your input, sorry for all the questions im kinda new to the "good Scopes" ive had a simmons my whole life and feel the need to finally upgrade since i got a new rifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 15:38
No need to apologize.
Were are ALL here to learn more about the sport we love...American%20Flag 

Pssst...Watch out for the Kahles Cult.....Wink 
They will have you selling your body parts to get a Kahles KX....Bandito

Edited by cheaptrick - December/24/2007 at 15:44
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 15:52
haha thanks man, ya im just trying to learn a little more before my purchase
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 16:04
Welcome to the forum!!!..............The VX2 or the Zeiss! Go Zeiss Conquest assuming you wish to spend the money!!.........OR! Consider the 3x9 Elite 4200 for $260 instead....Certainly, a better scope optically than the VX2 and even the VX3 and comes to within a fraction in the brightness category to the Zeiss while remaining just as clear and resolute!!!..........You look through a 4200 and a Zeiss Conquest and if your eyes can justify the extra $90 or $100 bucks, then buy the Zeiss!!   
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 16:07
YEP!!!.................Better watch out for that 4200 cult too!!!!..............I happen to be in that group!!Big%20Grin
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 16:08
Conquest is a real good choice, use quite a few and never had a complaint. The reticle and the glass will satisfy.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 16:11
thanks guys i appreciate it, just trying to learn a little more. I have been looking at the 4200 as well as the 3200(what is the main dif b/t the two for the money?) Do yall think the 4200 vs the conquest is worth the $100 dif?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 16:30
If it's still available....Smile

I think Big Squeeze may be buying them up and rat holing them for his buddies, but I can't prove it.....Pirate

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 16:49
The 4200 is a lot better than the 3200 I've had and used both. Yes I think the $100 diff between the 4200 and conquest is worth the money due to the different occular focus, the etched reticle, the slightly heavier reticle for low light, resistance to flare out,and the slightly better brightness. Does this apply to everyone else?....maybe not, it just makes that much difference to me. Get both in hand and check em out.

Focus

Edited by Focus - December/24/2007 at 16:50
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 21:26
Tough choice between the two ..Focus has some good points, but  on the  other hand the 4200's rainguard really works, and optically they're very close ... tough choice--
Corky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 21:39
dunagan15, i just went through this same process as you are doing.  I didn't want to go over the $400 mark so I ruled out the kahles, swars, etc.  I can say this, the leupold's did not compare to the Zeiss or 4200's. 
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 22:21
well thank you for your input, ya ive now ruled out the leo and im looking into the 4200 a lot, as well as the new nikon monarch, and the conquest, its time consuming yet enjoyable and necessary to make the right purchase for me
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 23:47
Funny one there Cheaptrick!......................Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin..........Havew a wonderful Christmas!!!!!Merry%20Christmas
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 13:19
I have had the 3-9 Monarch and the 3-9 4200 side by side the last few weeks. The optical difference between the two is not much. The Rainguard I'll have to take a shower with to test. I won't be hunting in the rain up here for a while.
I'm trying to prod my brother into posting his opinion of his 3-9 4200 because he also has the 3-9 Conquest on his night time Volquartsen .22 mag.
BTW, my VarX-III's are supposed to be the optical equivalent of the newer VX-II's. They are very good scopes but the 4200 and Monarch are a little better. Like CT said, the VX-III would be a better comparo.

Edited by tahqua - December/25/2007 at 13:22
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 13:23
well thanks for the input, which do you like better, and the monarch you have, is it the new bdc reticle?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 14:25
i also have a monarch and a 4200 but i havent got the 4200 mounted yet to confirm if its better at last light than the monarch but from what other members have told me the 4200 is a little better in last light than the monarch is. rainguard is suppose to be awesome stuff, although ive never had any issue with the monarch in the rain or snow. but its suppose to really help.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic