OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

target turrets or not

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: target turrets or not
    Posted: December/24/2007 at 10:28
i'm newly registered to this forum (great site overall) and I have a quick question that i was wondering if anyonoe could answer for me. 

I presently have a Bushnell 3200 7x21x40 with mil-dot reticle on a ruger standard MArk ii in 204 ruger for long range chucks, crows etc (varmints of opportunity)

My question is this...i hastely bought the 7x21 with the mil dot without doing proper research (ultimately learning that the true use for the mildot is ranging and not holdover)

I have since decided after some long range misses on chucks last year that i need to dial them in to be more profficient.  CAN I dial my existing scope for the yardages i need (normal low turrets) or is there a greater difference between target turret and regular turrets than just convenience in the field.  (I know that true target turrets should have a readjustment ot zero to always maintain that mark)

Thanks again and great site.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 12:01

A lot of guys use mildots for holdover as well as for range estimation, with great success. The key is learning to think in "mils", instead of "inches" or "minutes of angle". That said, I too prefer to dial. There is no reason you can't use hunting turrets to dial an occasional long shot, just not as convenient as target turrets. Also, they may wear out a little faster than turrets designed for regular dialing, but this probably varies a lot from one manufacturer to the next.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 12:21
target turrets offer convience, and yes you can "dial-in" but first you need to build a chart showing the corrections. you need the bc and the velocity of the load to begin.  return to zero is not necessary as target turrets are marked. with numbers and return is easy, (unless you around a couple of times)
agross View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 08:50
yeah got that already.  I found  link somewhere and you enter all the info regarding bc bullet weight temp,  fps altitude.

I printed up a few charts for varying velocities and thats when i thoght about just sticking with the scope i have...using the 204 ruger 32vmax factory bullets from hornady the number of clicks up was not that significant with a 200 yd zero.

I will give it a whirl this summer shooting chucks (will try a combo of holdover with the mil-dots and click up)

thanks and once again great site.  The only down fall to this site is that i'm on it so often that it is often difficult to find new material to read .(LOL) 

Merrry x-mas to all. 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 10:13

chuck and dog hunting have the advantage of only needing the clicks once, and you won't be dialing back and forth as a "tactical" shooter-- so your current knobs and set up should work-- good luck and have fun

happy holidays.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 14:36

That is a wicked little cartridge at fairly limited yardages, so yes, with a 200 yard zero you won't need too many clicks to get to the limit of practical range of your rig, probably under 350-400 yards for chucks and less for coyotes. You'll need more energy to kill coyotes further out, and any wind will give that tiny bullet all kinds of trouble.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 19:10
Agross, i will be getting 1 of those 7-21X MD's shortly for testing. How do u like it??
Steve
agross View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 19:25
from my limited experience with last year i would say it is pretty good for the $$$.

Clear enough to see chucks out ot 450 with good clarity and visibility.  This spring i aam going to try zeroing it at 100 then do some group tests and 7x 14x and 21x to see how it holds zero and do some clicks up down left right ( box technique) and we shall see.

I will try and post some results later.  As for the effective of the 204 all i can say is that the hits i have made atg 350 rage looked as if a small grenade went of inside the chuck using the 32 gr vmax from hornady.

My best shot was a 418 headshot on a chuck.  Unbelievable considering it is out of a standard rifle resting off of the railing of a deck.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 19:41

418 yds, nice shot agross. Welcome to O.T.

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 07:18
As already said the std turrets will work quite well although a little less handy perhaps. The 204 has proven to be a pretty good long range varmint round with the wind being the biggest factor on the smaller weight bullets. Nice Shooting!

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 06:21
I was hoping it was a quality unit. It's only 12.8" long! About as short as it gets for the 6.5-20X class variables. Great shootin', BTW.
Steve
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 10:56

Your circumstances may be different, but I shoot prairie dogs quite a bit and I used to dial in my firing solutions.  Now, I don't anymore, because I would spend more time cranking knobs than shooting.  I just use mil based (Mil Dot, MP8) and other ranging reticles (Varmint Hunters, TDS) instead, and I have just as high a hit % as before, actually higher.  The reality I've discovered in the fast-paced gentlemen's sport of prairie rat shooting is that you're likely to explode one at 500 yards, followed by the next one at 50 yards, and very seldom do they all cooperate and line up all at the same distance.  This, combined with the fact it is hard to range a small 8" tall prairie rat in open, featureless country makes knob cranking a frustrating exercise.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 00:30
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Your circumstances may be different, but I shoot prairie dogs quite a bit and I used to dial in my firing solutions.  Now, I don't anymore, because I would spend more time cranking knobs than shooting.  I just use mil based (Mil Dot, MP8) and other ranging reticles (Varmint Hunters, TDS) instead, and I have just as high a hit % as before, actually higher.  The reality I've discovered in the fast-paced gentlemen's sport of prairie rat shooting is that you're likely to explode one at 500 yards, followed by the next one at 50 yards, and very seldom do they all cooperate and line up all at the same distance.  This, combined with the fact it is hard to range a small 8" tall prairie rat in open, featureless country makes knob cranking a frustrating exercise.

I've never been fortunate enough to shoot prairie dogs when the action was very fast, also, the towns had been shot up a little before we arrived, so we didn't have to shoot anything very close.  I didn't think it was a big deal to dial in, but you make some good points there, Ted.  Hopefully my next trip will be fast-paced enough to try out your method.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic