OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinions needed please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions needed please
    Posted: December/22/2007 at 23:54
Hey guys, I just bought a brand new Remington 700 (bolt-action) buckmasters edition and I'm interested in yalls thoughts on a new rifle scope. The thing is I will be hunting on 2 completely different types of land: one being personally owned around 20 acres or so of wooded area(somewhat thick with limited clearings) in Georgia and another 4200 acres in Alabama with open fileds, thick brush and woods. So the main question is, what type of scope would suit both these areas well? Thanks
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 03:28
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 08:22
whats your budget?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 09:36

What cartridge are you chambered for?
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 10:00
The 700 Rem. Buckmaster comes chambered in 243 Win., .270 Win., 7mm/08, 7mmRem. Mag., 30-06, or the 300 Win. Mag...........For your use, a variable no greater than a 3x9 regardless of the calibers listed above! The 2x8 variable previously mentioned is also a wise choice.....................You didn`t type a budget. You want a scope that will give you great glass, excellent durability, excellent dependability, lenses that will never fog up or become distorted in any weather regardless of conditions!.......For the money the best scope is the 3x9 Elite 4200 @ $260 on this site! You get more with less money!! Optically, it is better than the Leupold VX3`s, comes to within a fraction in brightness to the Zeiss Conquest and is just as clear!!.............For the bucks, a 3x9 Elite 4200 is unbeatable!!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 11:16
3x9x40 elite is a good choice but if your budget extends to $399 I would opt for the 3x9x40 zeiss conquest. Excellent scope with great reticle and quick euro style focus.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 12:16
sorry for not leaving that little detail, its a 270
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 12:17
and my budget is nothing above 800
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 12:31
kahles scope no question
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 12:35
With that budget I would give serious consideration to a Kahles. They all have excellent glass and are rugged. The http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mfg_selection=5&prod_type=1&hide_sold=false here has some great deals and they are warrantied. I like the 7A reticle but a lot of folks here prefer the 4A. They are both heavy and easy to pick up in low light.

Edited by tahqua - December/23/2007 at 16:38
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 16:21
I MUCH prefer a 7a over a 4a reticle if both are offered every time. In low light the 7a rules. Your budget allows a better than conquest scope it appears.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 08:32
I'll second that, with $800 to spend you can easily get a Kahles KX new or a CL off the sample list.  3-9X42 would be perfect for you.  As mentioned, get a 7a or 4a reticle, I prefer the 4a but the 7a is also very easy to see in low light.  Both beating the plex easily.
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic