OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

"New" Nikon Monarch 4-16x w/ BDC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "New" Nikon Monarch 4-16x w/ BDC
    Posted: December/22/2007 at 13:48
This is Nikon's newest offering, a 4-16x, "locking" side focus and a BDC reticle.
In the next few days, I'm going to get to the range and try this scope out.

First impressions are very positive!!
Generous eye relief, good optics, and the BDC reticle looks interesting.  

Here's the scope mounted on a .308 Remington 700, 20 MOA Badger rail, and TPS low TSR rings. 

Edited by cheaptrick - January/17/2008 at 16:58
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 18:30

That looks great, Mark!
      Now go and boresight it on a pieplate oh, about 200 yards away.    
  Then, when you start actually shooting at twenty-five you won't be asking yourself "I know what I'm thinking, Punk, did I fire six shots or only five...."  Dirty%20Harry
You'll already know because all the bullet holes will be in the center!  (Maybe just a smidge low...)

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 19:04
whats the sticker on top of the eye piece?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
swatop07 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swatop07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 22:21
The sticker indicates the bullet drop compensator reticle.
Guns dont kill people. Proper sight alignment, breathing and trigger control does.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 08:12
ah thanks
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 08:42
Originally posted by swatop07 swatop07 wrote:

The sticker indicates the bullet drop compensator reticle.

Yep. 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 09:34

The scopes' finish matches your  rifle perfectly! That really looks like a winner.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 09:36
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

The scopes' finish matches your  rifle perfectly! That really looks like a winner.

Yeah, I guess it does! LOL!  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 09:38
I hope to get to the range tomorrow or Tuesday and check out the scope. I'll come back to this thread and post some thoughts.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 11:33
Keep us posted Mark, I for one am interested in your opinions.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 12:57
are you going to be able to shoot after 6lbs of prime rib??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 13:09
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

LOL...Not going to be able to shoot till Tuesday morning, Bro.
Bandito  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 13:14

i dont know when i will be able to shoot, the weather up here is terrible right now watch the bears packers game thats what its like here only a lot colder and way more snow!

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 13:19
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

That's a good one, P.
Nice set up, CT. It seems the Z6 has spurred a lot of activity in the marketplace. Nikon was no doubt at work with 4x zoom but now we have the 6x zoom Elite coming and I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon is already on it, themselves.
The side focus is taking off, also. Bench rest and tactical shooters have different demands from your scopes than myself, being mostly a hunter. I have to wonder if they are putting too many "bells and whistles" on scopes. Granted the scope you have shouldn't see too much big game use, but we are seeing this on some 3-9's. Once I focus big game rifle I'm done. I don't want to pay for this stuff and I see it coming.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 17:57
Now that I have looked at the other rifle you posted I find that spider web to be very attractive. You have had so many scopes on her I don't think Black Betty cares whats on top.
So which one has been your favorite so far, without shooting with the new Nikon?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 18:25
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Now that I have looked at the other rifle you posted I find that spider web to be very attractive. You have had so many scopes on her I don't think Black Betty cares whats on top.
So which one has been your favorite so far, without shooting with the new Nikon?

My US Optics SN-3 was my favorite, followed by the 10x Super Sniper, Doug.  
The SN-3 had the "WOW", but the Super Sniper has the simplicity.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 12:34

Had a good day at the range.

The BDC reticle.....I like it! The knock I've read from others concerning this reticle is that "it's too thick to shoot groups with". REALLY??? Do tell.......Shocked 

Well...me and Black Betty "managed" somehow. 

Shot the scope in, got my zero @ 100 yards and this is either a 6 or 7 shot group....Whacko
I was shooting this group while having some problems with my AR and TAP ammo (bad primers??) and lost track of my round count.
Dime won't quite cover all of the hole, but close. My calipers are still packed, so I wasn't able to measure it accurately.

In all fairness to the folks that claim the reticle is too fat, I only shot @ 100 yards fooling around, so the reticle may certainly be a little thick for 200 and 300 yard precision target shooting.

I'll try to get out to the other range I go to where we can shoot out to 300 yards. I'm thinking of getting some ground hog targets to test out the accuracy of the "circles".

Next test is tonight. I'll check out this laser etched reticle to see how fast it fades in low light at dusk.

Edited by cheaptrick - December/25/2007 at 12:47
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 12:53
Good shooting Mark. I'm glad to see you like the BDC. I still need more convincing on these compensating reticles of any sort. I might have to give one a try on my heavy varmint rig, though.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 13:39
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Good shooting Mark. I'm glad to see you like the BDC. I still need more convincing on these compensating reticles of any sort. I might have to give one a try on my heavy varmint rig, though.

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment and I agree on the BDC reticles. I will try to get to the range and shoot ground hog or PD sized targets @ 200 and 300 yards. That will tell me a lot and hopefully you and the forum as well.
The Optics Goddess and some others from SWFA were hitting cans of shaving cream on a regular basis out to 500 yards with a BDC reticle!

This reticle make a "leaner", instead of a "dialer" out of me yet if I can get that kind of accuracy out of mine.
We'll see!

Amen on your previous comments on companies selling "more sizzle" and less steak too, Doug. 
This scope, in it's price range....a 3-9x would be a great deal, I think. 

I'll comment more on the optics after sundown.....Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 14:17
nice shooting ct!!! im envyous!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic