OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should I get a Marlin 336 or post 64 mod 94 Win?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Should I get a Marlin 336 or post 64 mod 94 Win?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigsmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I get a Marlin 336 or post 64 mod 94 Win?
    Posted: December/22/2007 at 13:12
Money is tight, I am a Winchester lover, had a few, but never owned a Marlin.
I have been looking at 30-30's and there are plenty of both under $400.00 available at CoMpeTiTors via auction.
I'll probably go to the gunshops too though. Never felt a cheesy Marlin in my hands, they are not as pretty in my opinion, but some newer 94's have turned me off. Wont even pick some up off the gun racks in a shop.
So, if anyone out there has a 336, I guess I'm asking how do you like it, what do you suggest? I have heard that they sometimes get jammed or have feed problems.
I don't want to take my pre 64 Win out in the woods and hunt with it anymore. I just am worried I'll bang it up and it is an old freind.
Rather just have some bench fun with it from here on in.
Sometimes when I hunt a brush gun is a better choice for the places I go so I want a lever for that reason.
sigsmoker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigsmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 13:38
I don't mean to imply Marlins are cheesy. I just never felt one in my hands that felt cheesy, they all felt right and well made.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 14:01
I've had both; still have the 336.  The Marlin just seems to be a lot better made, steel vs. aluminum, etc.  I've shot thousands of rounds through my 336 with no problems.  Plus, if you ever want to scope it, Marlin is definitely the way to go.
Corky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 15:39
I have a 336 and love it.  The only thing i've noticed with mine is that it won't eject a spent casing when I am shooting Federal factory loads.  It works perfectly with Remington factory loads.  Not a big deal to me since i'll be reloading my own and will use Remington brass.  I should say that I have a .35 rem, so a 30-30 might not have that problem.  Get a Marlin, you won't be disappointed.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 16:05
i had a m94 and my dad has a 336 and i prefered the side eject of the marlin and the marlin didnt feel near as flimsy either.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 16:22
It's not like Winchester was into 6 Sigma either...  I think after you live with the Marlin you'll like it.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 18:06
I would prefer the marlin, more accurate in most cases and my smith tells me a little better made except for the very old winchesters.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 18:16
 I agree with most of you guys, the Marlin feels a little more rugged, but the Winchesters have a long record of performance and I'm guessing they may be a little lighter to carry.
 If I went with a Winchester, I would get a used pre-64  or at least one that was pre-crossbolt afterthought lawyer appeasment thingy.
 If you may scope it someday and don't want to do the scout rifle configuration, Marlin is the only choice.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 19:57
Since I seem to have a preference for handy short barrelled cannons, my next rifle will be the Marlin 1895GS stainless, 18.5" barrel in the 45/70!!...........My suggestion to you, is to go with the Marlin.... I am!!   
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 20:25
45/70 why not the 450 marlin?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 20:55
450 Marlin is N/A in stainless!!! 45/70 ammo can be had anywhere because its far more popular!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 20:57
well thats a good point i guess
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 21:05
Besides! Any game within the ranges of either the 450 or the 45/70 won`t know the difference anyway!!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 21:06
yeah either way they get hit buy a geo metro!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 21:10
After my Marlin is purchased, I`ll have 3 rifles with barrels not more than 20" in length!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 21:12
i only own one rifle with a barrel shorter than 20" 10/22ruger
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 21:13
The recoil isn`t too much for ya with that 10/22 Ruger is it?????
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 21:15
no
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 21:16
That`s good!!!......You`re not a WIMP then!!!! 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 21:20
yes i am, i'll admit it that i cant handle any more recoil than a .338 will dish out

here kitty kitty kittyBaby
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic