OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is this normal for a Kahles???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this normal for a Kahles???
    Posted: December/22/2007 at 11:28
Just got a new Kahles 2-7x36 CL. I noticed that on the bottom of the magnification adustment ring that there is/was a hole about 1/4 inch on diameter that seems to be filled with some sort of black putty. There is another small hole about 1/8 inch filled with the same putty like substance on the bottom of the eye box right above the words "made in Austria" Is this normal? Do I have a defective or tampered with scope?  Also, does the CL have an etched reticle or wire? Somebody help please! Thanks, Bricat
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 14:31
Bricat -

My CL has that also.  Also, they are etched.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 21:50
Thanks ND2000, any idea what those are? Does anyone know? Bricat
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 11:24

I'm no expert, but I would guess they are ports for filling the tube with nitrogen or argon during the manufacturing process.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 11:43
That's kinda what I thought they were also, just wondering why other companies can fill theirs and not have holes-very strange. Bricat
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 11:56
Sorry no offence to you kahles guys....but that turns me off some and I would want to see that in real life before making my mind up to purchase one. Like said above there are sure less obvious ways to do this than leave holes filled with some kind of filler in plain view. Didn't know that......

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
stopher23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stopher23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 21:35
me 2 an im thinkin ab gettin one
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 03:23
What's the deal? Chris, cheaptrick, Koskin -oh Dark Lord of Optics, where are you when we need you? We draw on your knowledge now o great ones!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:36
Yeah for the amount of guys that suggest a kahles everytime someone asks scope selection advice, you would think questions concerning kahles would get jumped on and answered right up. I've owned a lot of scopes to date and never seen one with holes filled right in plain view. Come on......conquests get slammed for having plastic turret covers and yet you never hear a word about this kahles fact? Took days for Sam to get an answer on his reticle question.....and this one nobody seems to know about apparently. Interesting....does that many members really own them....or just suggest them?

focus

Edited by Focus - December/24/2007 at 07:37

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:37
rifledude is who you guys need to talk to, he answered sams question 2 weeks ago and he apparently didnt see it or something. rifledude has quite a collection of kahles scopes so ask him

Edited by pyro6999 - December/24/2007 at 07:39
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:40
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

rifledude is who you guys need to talk to

So hes the only guy that really owns one? Thats not how it looks when so many recommend them at every chance like they have first hand knowledge of them. Huh....I would have figured there was lots of kahles owners on here with all the kahles posts.....

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:43
not what im saying! if you want the fastest response ted is in here quite frequently! just because somebody owns a kahles doesnt mean they know sh*t about it, i recommend ted because he knows what he's talking about on the technical side of the kahles scopes. you are reading way to far into stuff my friend
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:52
No pyro I'm not.......when I talk about conquests, leupolds, and elites is because I own and use them. Nothing beats personal experience with a product. I don't have a lot to say about nikon and kahles because I don't own or have personal experience with them. When someone asks about scope choice on here the kahles recommendations come out in force......but....when there is a question about kahles things go pretty quiet. You can of course see that as well as me, must be more than just ted who owns a kahles and has noticed holes filled on them. I think Bricat asks a perfectly normal question that should be common knowledge with kahles owners.....unless his scope is the only one with this. I know ted is quite knowledgable, but is he the only person with any kahles experience on here? I guess I just had the mistaken opinion that quite a few posters owned and had knowledge of kahles products.....maybe I'm wrong.

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:59
i dont any kahles scopes either. but when a question comes up about one would rather somebody like you or me guess at it, or do you ask someone like chris koshkin or rifledude, who probably knows the answer because they own them???? the reason people recommend the kahles scope so much is because they are a scope of known quality and dependablity and in a lot of cases people are willing to spend that much on a scope so a kahles is a good choice hard to beat them in there price range, is there anything wrong with zeiss no, is there anything wrong with leupold no, who says every kahles scope like bricats has these "holes" i havent ever heard or this until this thread. another reason to go talk to the people i suggested is the same as why i told swatop07 to call chris when he didnt receive his scope on time, you talk to the people who are going to get you what you need, he came in here all pissed off saying how bad swfa's service was and all i did was tell him to talk to chris, and look at what happened, he got a scope in a day and a half and now he is happy, if he would have kept calling the office and talking to somebody else he would have got his scope eventually but why not go directly to a source who can tell you what you want to hear? its like taking a ford to a chevy garage to get it fixed ,sure the mechanic will see some similarities but he probably wont be able to fix it, same here ask people who know less confushion and more satisfaction

Edited by pyro6999 - December/24/2007 at 08:11
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 08:13
Quote who says every kahles scope like bricats has these "holes" i havent ever heard or this until this thread.

I know thats my point exactly, where are all the kahles owners to tell us if their kahles have these holes? Pyro you seem to be taking my comments as an attack on kahles......they aren't......I'm simply asking some basic scope questions about kahles and wondering aloud why no one seems to post any responses. Seems a reasonable enough thing to wonder with all the kahles talk and recommendations on here.....I know when someone posts about a brand scope I own and use, I try my best to answer any questions they have. Well got no more to say.....we'll wait for someone that actually knows to post.

Focus

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 08:20
im not taking it as an attack on kahles, i am just slightly pissed because a question about an etched reticle was answered 2 weeks ago and the author of the question didnt see it so he asked it again thats what pissed me off, like i said there a plenty of kahles owners in here, but they are probably like me and are clueless about the holes and since they dont know better probably dont care. i cant afford a scope of that caliber hell the nicest scope cost wise i own was a gift, otherwise a nikon monarch is all the better i can afford, some day i will own a  kahles scope because i know its a good name in the biz. yeah there probably is a lot of people just saying kahles, i am one of them, but who would argue that a kahles isnt a good suggestion?? 
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 08:36
1.5-6x42C 30mm
2.2-9x42C 30mm
The only hole is on the bottom of the ocular tube 12mm behind the power adjustment ring with a red 4mm screw.
I think there is a screw underneath this substance which I believe is grease. Take a dental pick or other pointed tool and see if it is. If it is pliable it is probably a silicone sealant. Kahles has been promoting their waterproofing lately and this may be added on top of the set screw. If it is I want some of that ugly substance on top of mine. Wink
Sorry I can't be of more help.
I am also a supporter of Kahles scopes. These two see hard use and have remained crystal clear and are very bright.

Doug

Edited by tahqua - December/24/2007 at 09:03
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 09:08
My experience with Kahles is limited to having examined them and used one on a friends Steyer sniper rifle. I can tell  that the glass is exceptionally clear and I think the multizero feature is quite useful but I dont own one so far, would I buy one -  you bet - very high on my list, but so are several other scopes each of which is spendy and most are TACTICAL, and I struggle to buy one or two a year and keep hoping to win the lottery.  If you PM Chris Farris or Koshkin or rifledude they will be better at the technical aspects, Ive seen the hole and didn't think anything about it - it is the way it is.   When I suggest Kahles to someone it is because I expect it it fully meet their needs and be worth having them consider and compare to other models that they are thinking about - they compare - they decide, I think the glass is worth  comparing based on having examined them.  Sometimes I may suggest a brand that a person looking for a scope had not previously thought of like a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 they may compare one and find it really works for them or they might decide  that other features are more important to them.  If you want to know about Leupold Mark 4   10xM3, 3.5-10FFP, 8.5-25x50 Ill scopes and VXIII 4.5-14x50, 3.5-10  and Comp M4 & 9000L Aimpoints, Trijicon TA01B, IOR 6x42,   Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 and Nikon Omega and Tasco 3-9 scopes   I've got them.  I bet you dont have every scope made either, but keep working on it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 09:12
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

rifledude is who you guys need to talk to

So hes the only guy that really owns one? Thats not how it looks when so many recommend them at every chance like they have first hand knowledge of them. Huh....I would have figured there was lots of kahles owners on here with all the kahles posts.....

Focus

Ted is not the only one that owns one around here, though he is very knowledgeable about them. ILya owns some, too, and is doing a test. The last time they both were on was at the time this was posted. I would suggest giving Ted and ILya some time to respond.........it is the Christmas/Hanukkah season and not everyone has O.T. as a daily priority.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah,
Doug
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 09:13
Thanks Tahqua, no, these holes aren't filled with grease it is definatley some sort of putty -like substance. Focus is right, c'mon fellow Kahles owners where are you? -Bricat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic