OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

R700 scope mounting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 00:46

I'm still trying to figure out what happened.  Windage adjustable base- (Leupold/ Redfield/Burris,etc?) with rotary dovetail on front ring, sliding rear ring sets on base and held in place by cupped screws holding it at the sides, correct?  Rear ring bounces off base, recoil slams it around enough to bend tube at rear ring??

Battl3fr0nt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battl3fr0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 02:21
well I was doing some reading and I could have got the trophy for 30 more bucks but the Banner I got is supposed to be a much better scope for some reason...  and btw everything will be ok just not for a while I gotta go buy new mounts and rings the gun shop took back the scope... so i got it replaced... but now Im gonna get solid mounts so you dont need to mess with the back windage or whatever cuz that is the prob with the mounts I have now the back just will not line up now.. no matter what or how hard I try... so yeah just gonna get new mounts (better mounts) next week and forget about what happened... but about the trophyscope why do you say it is better... It just seemed to cost a tad more.. and I have heard the banners are a better line for low-mid range scopes..
agian, thanks for the help and support
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battl3fr0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 02:22
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out what happened.  Windage adjustable base- (Leupold/ Redfield/Burris,etc?) with rotary dovetail on front ring, sliding rear ring sets on base and held in place by cupped screws holding it at the sides, correct?  Rear ring bounces off base, recoil slams it around enough to bend tube at rear ring??

Yes correct it was and it was the leupold.. but now im gonna get front and rear dovetail.. so nothing like that can go wrong (I hope)
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battl3fr0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 06:52
and another thing I cant find my modle of my R700 on there site.. It came big game sights on it and its not woodgot it about 2 years ago new for $379 on sale .. I am having a really hard time trying to find screws for it since i took off the sights to put on the scope would anyone here know how I could find out?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 23:07
 You really need to post pictures of your rig so we can figure out what's going on. You have  a good base, maybe not the best , but perfectly usable and proven. There should be no reason it shouldn't accept undamaged rings unless it too was damaged. I wonder if you simply have the wrong base for your rifle.
 You might want to start fresh with Weaver rings and bases, 25  bucks will go a long way if you're on a real tight budget.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battl3fr0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 04:37
That is what I have done.. I was at the gun shop and the guy said try out these weaver mounts and rings and that is the stype I was looking for anyway.. so I spent about 40 bucks and now have my scope mounted... they are alot better then the ones I had and I like how you can just take off your scope on the fly without messing with your mounts.. I got the Weaver Quad Lock ring's to go along with the mounts.. I have not been down to the range but I am going sunday and he said he will bore line it at the shop and check to make sure I have everything tight enuff (im pretty sure I do)
I just like the Idea of the Weaver Quad Lock ring's they are very stable.. I would recommend them to anyone that is just getting into mounting optics..

I will check back with what happens and how they hold up at the range after 40 rounds (30-06 R700)  but I think I will be going with weaver for my next rifle also.. look into the wuad lock and tell me what you think about the rings but agian thanks for all the support, oh and does anyone know how I can find my R700 modle. I checked the website and it was not on there.. It came with big game sights on it and a black stock (matt black everything) thank's.. but if there are better weaver style rings at the gun shop that I see I might give them a try also but the Quad lock look's like it will do me well..
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 01:23

Qadlocks are good rings, they will work fine if you installed them correctly

Call the gunstore where you bought the rifle or call Remington with the serial number of the rifle (stamped on the reciever) to learn what configuration it left the factory as, if you need to know. There are possibly hundreds of configurations of the 700.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic