OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

R700 scope mounting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battl3fr0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R700 scope mounting
    Posted: December/22/2007 at 08:42
I just got a scope for my R700 its the Bushnell Banner Dusk Dawn 3x9x50 it seem's to be a very nice scope for the money (im new to optics) Howdy But I wanna know how far it should be away from my eye should I have to lean into the gun alot to get full fov or just a bit? or not at all? sorry for the noob talk but I just wanna have it set up right so when I get it bore lined it will be all good and I wont have to take it back to get it bore lined agian.. I already reajusted it by pulling the scope back a but more but I just wanna know what most people use the gun is the R700 30-06.. any help will be very nice

another thing where can I get a good cheap bore liner it can be lazer or optic it does not matter, i heard the lazer one's you always have to buy batterys for.. anyway thank's
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 09:04
You can adjust the stock or adjust how the scope sets in the rings until you get a full field of view.  You should not have to lean into the gun too much.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 10:17

Silver's correct , you should be able to shoulder your rifle with your eyes closed, pull the butt snugly into your shoulder with your cheek nestled comfortably onto the comb. When you open your eyes, you should immediatly see the enire f.o.v., edge to edge. Set this with your scope set on the magnification you normally hunt with and with your (heavy?) hunting coat on, because this affects length of pull and consequently the eye relief as well. Be sure you have at least a couple inches between the scope and your eye so you don't get punched when you pull the trigger.

Ideally you would first have a gunsmith help you fit the rifle to your physique by cutting or lenthening the buttstock, building or lowering the comb,etc. until it fits you prfectly. You then mount the scope with the correct height rings and slide it back and forth for perfect eye relief. That's fairly hardcore, though and a bit costly. Most guys do okay with a factory stock, if they pay a little attention to mounting position, as you are doing. BTW, don't apologise for your "newbie" questions. They are good questions and very important issues to address in getting the most from your rifle
 Regarding the boresighter, I'm going to talk you out of getting one. Learn how to boresight using your own two eyes and a good set of sandbags or an adjustable benchrest on a paper plate at a couple hundred yards. Once you've done it a few times correctly, it is very precise and easier than breathing. You also have less crap to drag to the range and eliminate any chance of damaging your rifling or blowing your barrel up by leaving the stud in the bore and firing.

Edited by RONK - December/22/2007 at 13:05
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 17:36
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Regarding the boresighter, I'm going to talk you out of getting one. Learn how to boresight using your own two eyes and a good set of sandbags or an adjustable benchrest on a paper plate at a couple hundred yards. Once you've done it a few times correctly, it is very precise and easier than breathing. You also have less crap to drag to the range and eliminate any chance of damaging your rifling or blowing your barrel up by leaving the stud in the bore and firing.

I concur with Ron on the bore sighter, but I would recommend less distance than 200 yards.
I typically sight in @ 25 yards or so to get on paper, THEN go to extended ranges.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 17:58
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

I concur with Ron on the bore sighter, but I would recommend less distance than 200 yards.
I typically sight in @ 25 yards or so to get on paper, THEN go to extended ranges.

You've got a point there Mark,  but if you BORESIGHT accurately on a 200 ( or 100 or even 300 yard ) pie plate, your bullets will be hitting quite near the CENTER of the 25 yard plate when you begin to send live rounds downrange. I was addressing only the "looking down the barrel" stage of the process, not the actual shooting. I agree with you on that part, to begin shooting close up so you don't waste rounds that for whatever reason may not be on paper at longer distances. Smoking%20Bandit

Edited by RONK - December/22/2007 at 18:05
Battl3fr0nt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battl3fr0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 18:07
thank's for the replys.. and yeah I guess I will just go to the range and try bore sighting there.. It is just I live in Hawaii and there are no area's to shoot unless you are at range and they are only open a few days a week.. i just wanted somthing I could do in my house to get it lined in. agian thank's for the help Big%20Smile
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 18:53

You CAN do it in your house, as long as it has windows, (or at least gunports!  Whistling)
 Just set your rig in sand bags on your kitchen table, remove the bolt and carefully look through the bore and through an open door or window, (cautiously, of course), and center a distant, (~200 yards Smile), easily distinguished object in the bore.  Now, without moving the rig at all, peer through the scope and adjust the crosshairs until they are on the same object. ( You will have to turn your dials "UP" if the crosshairs are ABOVE the object and "LEFT" if they are to the LEFT.) It is a little easier with a helper turning the turrets while you do the "peering". I personally set the crosshairs a few inches BELOW the object to allow for bullet drop from the line of bore. If your rig is a decent shooter and you do this carefully, the results WILL astonish you.
 You could actually do this by using the moon as the distant object, if the damn thing would  just hold still for a few minutes!  (Don't even try to use the sun. Seriously.) Pirate

Edited by RONK - December/22/2007 at 19:01
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battl3fr0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 20:28
lol, cool ok I will because that is the first thing i did I aimed out the window and got it kinda ok then took it down to get it bore sighted and he said I did a pretty good job.. I will just practic on it... I just thot the best way to bore line your scope was with a tool... but I guess it is not
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 20:38
if its a laser one they are very good the old school barrel mount ones will get you on paper at 25 or 50 but thats about it.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 00:47
I pull my bolt and peer down the barrel at a smaller object than a pie plate at about 25 yards or so. The smaller objects seem to allow for better more precise...."guesstimation"  Bucky

For the new Monarch I set up yesterday, I used a 2" x 2" flag in the front yard that lets my dog know where the Invisible Fence line is located. I was lying prone on my garage floor with my rifle on a bi pod, and a rear sand bag, using the method you described.
(No helper though.) Smile 

Shoot one at 25, then go 100 yards and set my zero.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battl3fr0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 02:16
sounds good, yeah im gonna buy a bipod its 60 bucks but then I will not need to worry about placing my gun on the peice of wood at the range.. and gotta look into getting some kinda rear sandbag. Im going to the range tommarow so i will have to do without untill next sunday.. i did go and get it bore sighted and they said start from 50 yard's.. and if I have to move my scope it should not mess up my zero to much (thats what they said) but it should be good for shooting off the bench and in prone.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 08:16
i just use steel shot bags and fill them with fine sand and tie or sew the end shut

Edited by pyro6999 - December/24/2007 at 07:24
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 12:12

Bipods are very useful in the field, long-range hunting and varmint shooting, etc. However, I think that when you are going for the finest degree of accuracy, bags are better.  I once owned an EXTREMELY accurate Remington 700 in a .223.  It would routinely shoot under a quarter inch at 100 yards with good handloads. Two of my best 5-shot groups looked like a single .30 caliber bullet hole, shot off sandbags.  On a real good day, the best I could do off the bipod was about 3/4 of an inch.  I shoot better off bags; YMMV... 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battl3fr0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 04:32
well I guess everything that could go wrong went wrong today at the range... After i had the guy check my mounts and he said they where all good and then bore sighted it.. i went to the rnage today and the scope some how moved alot.. i didnt notice it I was gourping within 2 inching then after about 10 shots with my R700 it was getting all out of wack I thot it was windage and stuff so i messed with it... stupid me didnt check to make sure the scope was in the same spot but this was my first time... how there is a small dent in the back someone it got pushed into the lose ring... (i find all this out when i get home..) I just dont know what to do.. Im gonna try to take the scope back but and just say I didnt mount it but it is there fualt in a way I guess cuz the guy at the gunshop was helping me mount it and said it was all good... Im just really pissed cuz now my scope is dead well not dead but u can see the dent from the inside.. when you look into the scope.. not to major I guess but still... I know its just a cheap scope but  ehh.. im just really pissed at myself for letting this happen.. I dont have alot of money to spend on this kinda stuff well none at all really but it was just a hobbie i wanted to get into that went wrong.... if they dont take it back Im not sure what i will do... and wasted about 25 rounds thats like 22 bucks once it started getting lose... it was the back windage part that came lose btw.. ehh sorry for thr rambling but I really dont know how im going to sleep and its already almost 1am...  sorry for all the typos i just am really in a bad mood right now Really%20Sad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 04:43
Lo siento, mi Amigo.

How can we help you?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:23
it could be worse that could have been a $2000 schmit bender scope you did that to instead of a $100 bushnell
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battl3fr0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:24
no i know you cant help me.. i just had to vent.. I just cant believe it happened the way it did... first 5 shots where awesome.. then started getting weird and the back ring started getting lose at the bottom part, not the top cover thingy.. and I guess it just got so out of wack it made a dent in the bottom of the scope near the end.. but you live and learn.. I am out a rifle now tho :( at least for a few months it seems..  thing about it is, it was so fun at first then i get home and realize what had happened and it was like ehhhh!! im still just depressed as hell.. i dont know what im going to do..
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 07:27
why are you out a rifle? is just because the scope is damaged, or did something happen to the rifle as well??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 11:43
That's a bad feeling for sure.  I know that this might not be the optimal suggestion, but is there any reason you couldn't just tighten and loctite everything down and go shooting?  I know you can see the dent in there, but a scope is just half (maybe less) of shooting.  You can use the dinged one and still practice B-R-A-S-S, shooting position, etc.  I had a dented Simmons one time and it continued to hold POI, maybe yours will too?  Like pyro said, don't throw the rifle out with the scope.  It's still gonna be a shooter.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 11:45
if i had an extra $90 laying around i would buy you a bushnell trophy off the sample list and you would have a better scope anyways!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic