OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shepherd rifle scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shepherd rifle scopes
    Posted: December/21/2007 at 19:54

Have any of you tried the Shepherd rifle scopes? If so what is your take on these scopes? Are they a good buy for the money; are they as good as they claim to be in both lighting and the accuracy? Any info would be deeply appreciated.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 20:37
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 20:49
I have two friends that have them and both use them for hunting and both like them. I do not believe that they are as tough as the Leupold scopes I use, and I do not think the glass is any better, in fact there are several companies that blow both of these away with the quality of their German made glass. Kahles on samplelist are an example of great glass at a relatively affordable price.  As for balistic reticles any scope with a balistic reticle that is a second focal plane scope has one huge drawback the reticle only works at the highest power at all other powers only the center x is on target at the distance of it's zero. 
5747 Kahles 2.5-10x50 CS Multizero 51824, Matte finish, 30mm tube, 4A reticle, side focus, the new redesigned and improved Kahles, very close to new condition. $1,879.00 $999.95

This lightly used Kahles for about the same price as a Shepherd will absolutely blow the Shepherd away  and the multizero gives you the ability to set the zero at 5 different known distances which you pick  like 100, 200, 300, 400, 500   Use a laser rangefinder and you are more certain of the outcome.  The Shepherd deal assumes that game will be a particular size and uses that known size with  a series of circles to estimate distance. Some Nato sniper scopes have marks for known distance and Mil dot reticles can be used to range distance of known size objects.  Also there are a few scopes that are FFP front focal plane and as  you turn down the power from high power to lower power the reticle becomes smaller however the marks like mil dot or MP8 used for known holdover at one power are the same hold over at all other powers also.   EXAMPLE (also a better choice than shepherd)
7998 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical Matte finish, first focal plane illuminated MP-8 reticle, 30mm tube, target knobs, ring marks. $1,020.00 $819.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
snake_master1967 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 20:55

Yeah... I saw that post.... after doing some exploring around the different areas of the forums. Which still leaves a question or two for me.

Are the circles as bad as they sound in the posting and what about the light gathering?

Honestly what I am trying to do is put together a rifle/scope combo for myself that will give great lighting at dawn or dusk with a very good reticule. I'm not looking for a "sniper" scope with a bunch of fancy bells, whistles, and bubbles but I do want a very good scope for the money I spend preferably a lighted reticule. I want to spend  no more than $750.00 for a scope but I do want a scope that I can hunt at distances of 500 - 600 yards, but I will mainly use it for 100 -300 yards. My main concerns are as stated earlier... Great low light visibility and also a long lasting dependable scope.

Any suggestions?

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 21:02
this reply was to helio... by the Thanks to everyone that puts in thier 2 cents worth.... it's welcome advice.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 21:22
scopes don't gather light, they only allow or transmit up to what ever the compliment of components. the reticle is way to busy and poorly designed for what it trys to do. and because it is difficult to use except on the highest powers, the exit pupil does not allow much low light capability. as stated before you can sight in any scope with just one shot if you have that much confidence in its POI. you will have to set your loads to the drop dictated by the circles,
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 21:23
Any Kahles on the sample list is going to be a great choice.  Great glass, and low light capabilities.

I have a Burris Black Diamond 4-16x50 Ballistic Mil Dot on my 300 win mag.  I shoot out to 1000 yards, and do some low light shooting, and it works great for both.  It is also a very rugged scope, but also heavy, so if you want a light scope, go with something else. 

The kahles has a definite advantage in glass quality.  They will be durable as well.  And you could go up to a 56 mm lense on it.

Another to consider is the Bushnell Elite 4200.  I don't have any experience with them, but they get very good reviews, and you won't have to spend as much money.  Good glass, but that is all I know about them.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 21:29
Missed you comment on the lighted reticle.  I like the burris bal-plex lighted reticle, which I believe you can get on the Signature Series.  Still a nice scope, but not as nice as the Black Diamond, Kahles, or Elite.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 21:35
The Burris Euro Diamonds have LRS as well.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9042-358-burris-25-10x50-euro-diamond-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

I also like the 30mm tube, but that is just personal preference.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 23:47

What is the deal with "The Sample List?" I see that some are used or refurbished but do they still carry good warranties?

Plus after looking at the list I see that it opens up a whole new range of scopes as far as pricing as compared to buying new. I still want to stay at the $750.00 limit however I see on the list that it opens doors to names like Zeiss, Kahles, and Swarovski to name a few...

Now I’m really confused. So many high end scopes but who to go with.
I would like to find something 3x12 or 6x18 50mm range with illuminated reticule, but low light shooting, clarity, and dependability are top concerns. I know these are all top of the food chain optics but which in your opinion is the name to go with.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 00:43
My cousin had a shepherd that he used and had a lot of success hunting Elk but he finally sold it and bought a Leupold VX-L.

Here's a Swarovski AH that's pretty cool. It's built for long distance shooting and won't punch too big a hole in your wallet. The scope is a 4-12x50, very light weight, and comes with ballistic reticle. No bells and whistles here other than the reticle itself.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8617-278-swarovski-4-12x50-american-riflescope.aspxreticle.

if you like the TDS reticle

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1504-278-swarovski-4-12x50-american-riflescope.aspx

the ever popular 4a

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1502-278-swarovski-4-12x50-american-riflescope.aspx

and the old school

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1503-278-swarovski-4-12x50-american-riflescope.aspx

Good luck!!

Edited by mike650 - December/22/2007 at 01:05
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 10:23
Kahles is good.  Some even say the glass looks almost as good as a swarovski.  Only downside is no lighted reticle, that I know of.

I am a big fan of burris, and they offer all the features you want.  The bushnell elite 4200 do as well, and people say they have better glass than the burris scopes.

I would recommend a kahles first, then a bushnell 4200, then a burris euro diamond.  would recommend the black diamond first (right after the kahles), but they don't have the lighted reticle.  Any of those will give you good low light with the 50 mm.  They all are rugged and dependable.

As for how the warranties work on the sample list, i do not know.  You need to either call chris at swfa or send him a message.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 10:37

I know a couple guys who have Sheperds and like em.
   Personally, I would avoid them especially since you stated that you don't want bells, whistles and bubbles. That is the very description of the Sheperd scopes.
 I also think you should try out an illuminated reticle before you spend the extra money on that feature, since you are on a budget.  I think that a glass upgrade and a heavy reticle trumps illumination in low-light scenarios

Edited by RONK - December/22/2007 at 10:38
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 12:11
When I first read this thread I thought you where looking to a LR scope without the bells and whistles. I missed the illumination part.

Here you go...

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7279-185-bushnell-25-10x50-elite-4200-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 - 30mm - 4a with illuminated dot 

Edited by mike650 - December/22/2007 at 12:12
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 19:37
Just out of curiosity, how do ATN optics do as far as their lens? Are they comparable to Burris Black Diamonds, Kahles, and Swarovski?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2007 at 20:35
i have been told by a very reliable source that atn's are way over priced for there quality, worse than leupold, i wont say who my source is i just know that he wouldnt lie
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_master1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 03:10
Thanks for all the input Excellent If anyone else has some feel free to leave it even pm it....

Thanks Again guys and gals
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2008 at 17:49
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i have been told by a very reliable source that atn's are way over priced for their quality

+++++
I speak from experience. I have one. I went through six before I got one that worked properly and ended up getting over half the purchase price off. That makes it worth it. The glass is reasonable. Has pretty good low-light characteristics (I can hunt in moonlight). The BDC and rangefining are right on. The lighted reticle does not "overpower" the ability to see through the scope (many lighted reticles, at the lowest setting, are so bright the reticle is all that can be seen), so it is good.

That said, I don't HATE mine anymore. HOWEVER, I do NOT recommend anyone purchasing one. The NV stuff, I don't know about. Have actually seen some pretty good reviews on the NV gear by ATN. I would not sell mine to anyone else, because I would not take the chance that something would go wrong on their watch. It would still be my "responsibility" in my mind.
Bottom line...get something else.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
gvblack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gvblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 21:40
I bought a Shepard about 12 years ago for a 8mm mag wildcat. The BDC works well, especially if you have problems with hold over. Great for a lesser experinced shooter. Glass is good, solid, but not mind blowing.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 23:33
I'd steer clear of Shepherd, there are much better scopes on the market.

To say I know a little about the scope and the company would be an understatement.  Their glass is OK at best, the reticule gimmick (one-shot zero) is good in principle, bad in practice.  A friend has one and one reticule component will shift while the other does not.

The aiming circles are a great use and idea - if you get the right scope for the projectile and you never mount the scope on anything else.

Most of the people I know that use and like Shepherd are African hunters who have the right scope/rifle combo and never use the high magnification. (18X with a 40mm objective ain't a recipe for clarity.

Again, it isn't worth the money, it isn't pure crap, but much better scopes can be had for a better price.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic