OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Alaskan Clydesdale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaskan Clydesdale
    Posted: December/21/2007 at 10:34
Received this email today, thought it was interesting...

Only in Alaska....... This guy raised an abandoned moose calf with his horses, and believe it or not, he has trained it for lumber removal and other hauling tasks. Given the 2,000 pounds of robust muscle, and the splayed, grippy hooves, he claims it is the best work animal he has. He says the secret to keeping the moose around is a sweet salt lick, although during the rut he disappears for a couple of weeks, but always comes home.... impressive!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 10:44
SAAAAWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOOOOGLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY MOOOOOOOOOOGLEEEY!!!!!!!!!!!
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 11:54

That's photoshopped, isn't it? I have a real hard time believing that. Especially the part about it wandering away during the rut and then returning (presumably with a big grin on it's face...)
 It looks real though, and I guess stranger things happen, but I would never be able to trust it. For that matter I would never trust an ungelded stallion either.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 12:05
that's alot of burgers on the hoof
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 13:54
there is a ranch west of town where i grew up and the lady that owns the ranch is called Mrs. Moose, she has like 12 pet moose that come and go as they please and she feeds them hay when they are around, and they trust her enough that they do postcards and xmas cards with the moose all the time, so yeah i think its very possible
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 13:56
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

That's photoshopped, isn't it? I have a real hard time believing that. Especially the part about it wandering away during the rut and then returning (presumably with a big grin on it's face...)
 It looks real though, and I guess stranger things happen, but I would never be able to trust it. For that matter I would never trust an ungelded stallion either.

Could be.  I tried to verify whether it was authentic or not, but I couldn't find anything about it at snopes.com.  If it's photoshopped, it's an extremely convincing photoshop job, as it looks real.  Regardless of whether the story about him wandering off during the rut, then returning is real or not, if that is indeed a real photo, I find it amazing enough that the guy was even able to strap all that gear on a huge bull moose like that without him tearing that dude a new @*$hole!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Manevitch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manevitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 14:13
It is a fake - look at the two piles of wood; they're mirror images of themselves. Plus the lighting doesn't match the shadows.

Oh, here's the Snopes article that claims it a fake:

Snopes Workmoose Article
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 15:13
Well its still a really neat pic, so were the other two that looked to be real. We had an old gal up here in Maine that had a collection of about 20 deer from raising injured and abandoned ones. One buck got huge and would scale a 10 foot fence every year at rut and be gone for about 3-4 weeks and then return to the pen and get back in. He was so hard on the other deer in the pen that the fish and game people would come and trank him and cut his horns off to just nubs so he wouldn't kill the other smaleer bucks in the pen. He weighed 342 at his top weight which would put him around as big as bucks get up here on average. One year he escaped and never came back....I'm betting some hunter put an end to his double life.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 16:28
Originally posted by Manevitch Manevitch wrote:

It is a fake - look at the two piles of wood; they're mirror images of themselves. Plus the lighting doesn't match the shadows.

Oh, here's the Snopes article that claims it a fake:

Snopes Workmoose Article

Thanks Manevitch, I guess I didn't enter the right keywords for the snopes search.  I didn't notice the wood being mirror images of themselves, but now that I look at it more carefully, you're right, it is.

Oh well, interesting pic nonetheless.  It's amazing what you can do with photo editing software.  These days, even a photo isn't proof of anything anymore!
Ted

martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 18:50
good catch
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 20:28

I agree, it's very convincing, especially with the article accompanying the "photo". It's written with enough detail to make you really wonder...
  The sad thing is, some Darwin candidate will think it's the real deal AND a good idea besides, and then commence to get smooshed into the cold, cold mud for his attempts to duplicate this great idea....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic