OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

hornady bullets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hornady bullets
    Posted: December/20/2007 at 14:55
is the hornady sst more like the nosler ballistic tip, or the accubond??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 15:03
the acubond from what i have read I use them also. The jacket on the SST's is thicker thans nosler's BT

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - December/20/2007 at 15:05
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 15:07
sweet maybe i can use those if i cant find any accubonds since they are the same weight it may work for me, and they are a bit cheaper thanks bd!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 15:09
Not a problem.I know they will leave a big exit hole but won't explode just a big mushroom
i really like them.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 15:13
$33 for 100 is a great price, i was paying $25 or so for 50 noslers
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 15:15
The 180's for the 300wm are 34 for a 100 shiped. witch thats not to bad at all.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 15:22

$23 from the big fellows

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 16:01
Hornady innerbond is more like the accubond, SST is more like a BT but has the innerloc. SST's have quite a good reputation for accuray....like the v-maxes.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 16:15
180gr. SST's loaded over RL 25 were WICKED accurate in my old .300 RUM Sendero.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 16:24

I've got a couple boxes of 150s stashed away somewhere that I need push into some -06 brass.  I haven't done any handloading in so long that it's pathetic. I really need to get motivated here real soon!         Indiana%20Jones
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 17:57
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

Hornady innerbond is more like the accubond, SST is more like a BT but has the innerloc. SST's have quite a good reputation for accuray....like the v-maxes.

Focus

Correct.  SST's don't have a bonded core like AB does, just the internal ring to sorta lock the core, just like the Hornady InterLock bullet.  It's basically a modified version of the IL with a plastic tip and boattail.  I've used the SST's on a few deer.  I've been able to get good accuracy from them, basically on par with the other plastic tipped, high-BC boattail bullets like BT, AB, Scirocco, etc.  Just based on the 6 or 7 deer I shot with it, I thought it was a little more fragile than the AB; the AB seemed to stay together better IMO, but admittedly, I'm going strictly off observation here, and a rather limited one at that.

Edited by RifleDude - December/20/2007 at 18:01
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 18:25
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

Focus

Correct.  SST's don't have a bonded core like AB does, just the internal ring to sorta lock the core, just like the Hornady InterLock bullet.  It's basically a modified version of the IL with a plastic tip and boattail.  I've used the SST's on a few deer.  I've been able to get good accuracy from them, basically on par with the other plastic tipped, high-BC boattail bullets like BT, AB, Scirocco, etc.  Just based on the 6 or 7 deer I shot with it, I thought it was a little more fragile than the AB; the AB seemed to stay together better IMO, but admittedly, I'm going strictly off observation here, and a rather limited one at that.

The performance differences you describe for the SSTs and the Accubonds is about what I would expect.  A mechanical locking ring in the jacket helps keep jacket and core together to some extent, but it can only do so much.  A good bonding process takes it to a whole different level.  I've seen various bondeds cut from carcasses with the lead core shattered into several pieces, but the pieces were still attached to the opened jacket! I think there are many circumstances wherein this is a very valuable attribute. "Single-package delivery", some call it...
 BTW, I am a big fan of the regular Hornady Interlocks,  but I think the Accubond will hold together better if you need it to.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 09:48
I agree with all said, my experiences with the bonded versions is that they take a hard bone hit and continue to penetrate and stay together. Between the innerbond (hornady) and the accubond (nosler) the innerbonds expand and tend to "flatten" more that the accubond. I haven't found a plastic tip bullet that preforms better in all aspects than the new nosler accubond, it flies real accurate, and does real well on the size game I've shot with them (whitetail). Plastic tips don't deform in the magazine either.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 09:52
i like the accubonds as well, im just glad to hear that nosler will be shipping them after xmas!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2007 at 11:26
I shot the SSTs out of my 270 for a couple year right after they came out.  I only recovered one bullet.  That was shot at close range and literally exploded into about 100 peices.  At long range, they were devestating on deer.  Left huge exit holes.  Hit a  hip bone once at 275 yards, and it left a 6 in exit hole.  I am a big fan of the hornady bullets, but I personally don't like the SST, other than the accuracy I got with them.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 09:33
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I shot the SSTs out of my 270 for a couple year right after they came out.  I only recovered one bullet.  That was shot at close range and literally exploded into about 100 peices.  At long range, they were devestating on deer.  Left huge exit holes.  Hit a  hip bone once at 275 yards, and it left a 6 in exit hole.  I am a big fan of the hornady bullets, but I personally don't like the SST, other than the accuracy I got with them.

Helo, I take it that you found them to be too destructive in terms of meat damage? (Otherwise your last sentence seems to be a bit contradictory to the rest of the paragraph.) Not trying to be critical, just trying to understand...Cool
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 19:38
I like the hornady bullets, interlock and interbond.  Not a fan of the sst, but they gave me better accuracy that the interlock or interbonds have.  The sst are too explosive in my opinion. Ronk, you are right about the meat damage.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 19:52

I thought that's what you meant. Thanks for clarifying.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic