OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

260 and 7mm-08

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:55
I was going to buy a lilja from Dan but he doesn't produce a ready to screw on threaded, chambered, cut to length crowned ready to go barrel. I want the barrels ready to screw on, that way they did the prep work and I'm not running to a smith and waiting for him to make it ready....and paying him too. This barrel is ready to go for $400, thats more my speed. Plus I couldn't find anyone not happy with a LW barrel on several large shooting forums. They must be doing something right....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:00
works for me i can see why you didnt go that route
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:00
 I think a Sendero in a .264 Winchester Magnum would be an awesome long-range rig. I wouldn't want a barrel shorter than 28 inches on mine. Not a chambering choice for a compact brush gun, that's for certain. Wicked plains rifle potential there though.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:03
Thanks, fellas. Got me thinking now........ Christmas%20List
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:08

That is the first time I've seen that emoticon used, and under perfect circumstances.  Well done!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:13
You know, my Dad had a pre 64 winchester 70 in the 264 westerner and that sucker was wild to watch him shoot right at dusk. Even with the 26" barrel it would shoot out a big orange cloud of unburned gas. He took it to BC on a sheep hunt in 1964 and shot a grizzly with it with factory 140gr powerpoints. Bear run off like nothing happened, next day the wrangler at camp shot the same bear with a 300wea. and when they went to skin it the hide was full of melted lead all stuck in the long hair at his shoulder. Almost NO damage to the inner hide at all, wow good case for a bullet with a little integrity huh? Bet a barnes or an A Frame would have made a hole into the vitals.....he never had any confidence in that gun after that, traded it off and got a 300 weatherby. Bet that gun would be worth a pretty penny now, and they say technology hasn't changed things for the better....

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:22
yeah it would hav been worth a lot
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:41

That's a great story, Focus! In 1993 one of my cousins shot a pronghorn about six times with factory Power Points in a .30-06. I don't know how far away he was from the critter or what the bullet weight was,  I think 150 grains.  Each bullet blew a saucer-sized wound about an inch deep. On a PRONGHORN!!

I don't know what year they were manufactured but I think the new ones are a different bullet entirely.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:45
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

You know, my Dad had a pre 64 winchester 70 in the 264 westerner and that sucker was wild to watch him shoot right at dusk. Even with the 26" barrel it would shoot out a big orange cloud of unburned gas. He took it to BC on a sheep hunt in 1964 and shot a grizzly with it with factory 140gr powerpoints. Bear run off like nothing happened, next day the wrangler at camp shot the same bear with a 300wea. and when they went to skin it the hide was full of melted lead all stuck in the long hair at his shoulder. Almost NO damage to the inner hide at all, wow good case for a bullet with a little integrity huh? Bet a barnes or an A Frame would have made a hole into the vitals.....he never had any confidence in that gun after that, traded it off and got a 300 weatherby. Bet that gun would be worth a pretty penny now, and they say technology hasn't changed things for the better....

Focus
a real bullet out of that rifle would have killed that bear in its tracks
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:53
Yea I agree, course back in them days my Dad didn't reload and there wasn't very much available for the 264 but the winchesters in power point and silver tip if I remember. He pretty much wrote off a great gun in a great caliber because of poor bullet design and performance. I think it was at about that time that John Nosler experienced bullet failure on a moose and he went home and designed the now famous parition bullet. Barnes - swift - bitterroot - bear claw - fail safes....wern't even a gleam in the bullet designers eyes yet....

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 18:00
the problem was that the bullets he was shooting wasnt designed to go as fast as it was and hit something that hard(bear)  but yeah your right at that point in time thats what he had to use
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 18:06
Yeah there wasn't anything much available that would handle the new for then velocity of the 264. As I remember he had to order the factory ammo as nobody was even stocking it yet. They weren't really the good old days in all aspects I guess. We pretty much take good bullet designs for granted these days and argue about which is better, back than they would have been thrilled with any of the current crop.

Focus

Focus

OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 18:09
I shoot a 7-08 and like it alot.  I'm also in receipt of an Encore barrel from MGM in 260.  It will have a 1:9" twist and should be really sweet with bullets up to 140 gr.  I plan on using 120-130 gr TSX bullets.  Everyone I have talked to that use these bullets rave on their killing ability.  I'm hoping to get my barrel in by year-end and I'm really anxious to get it scoped and at the bench.  I can see it becoming my standard caliber.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 18:10
yeah no joke, although from a factory ammo stand point the .264 still only gets a single 140gr load from rem and win, thank god for reloading
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 18:11

any ways back to the .260 and 7-08 if you wanna be able to load for a lot of different bullet weights its hard to deny that the 7mm is a bigger variety for sure over the 6.5

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 18:14
oh yeah and kimber also chambers the .260
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 18:25
Sounds like we think a lot alike OK hunter, I have heard a lot of good reports about the barnes bullets, seems the accuracy and fouling issues are behind them and the new bullets are doing quite well in hunting chats all over the net. They talked me into the 1 in 8 twist with the 260, I use 1 in 9 in the 7mm-08. Let us know how you like the 260 when you get it. Thats provided you aren't like me and have to wait till the snow depths subside to be able to do any shooting.

I'm looking at the paritions and accubonds for the 260 but won't rule out the barnes bullets at all. I want to make use of that penetration and I always lean towards the stout constructed bullets because of bone shots.

Focus

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 18:29
Pyro, I feel the bullet variety is pretty good for the 260's, only place I see an advantage with the 7mm is with the 175's for moose size critters. But like said already, I would not feel undergunned with 140's in the 260 for moose or black bears. My hunting buddy used a 140 on his moose this past fall, one shot and down it went. All thats left is the wicked drag....

Focus

Edited by Focus - December/15/2007 at 18:29

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 18:57
Originally posted by OK hunter OK hunter wrote:

I shoot a 7-08 and like it alot.  I'm also in receipt of an Encore barrel from MGM in 260.  It will have a 1:9" twist and should be really sweet with bullets up to 140 gr.  I plan on using 120-130 gr TSX bullets.  Everyone I have talked to that use these bullets rave on their killing ability.  I'm hoping to get my barrel in by year-end and I'm really anxious to get it scoped and at the bench.  I can see it becoming my standard caliber.
check our thread about the tsx not working

Edited by pyro6999 - December/15/2007 at 18:58
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2007 at 12:31
    Good news all you model 700/.260 fans!  The 2008 limited edition model 700 (walnut, stainless fluted barrel ) will be chambered in .260 Rem.YippeeYippeeYippee  Bricat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic