OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

260 and 7mm-08

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 260 and 7mm-08
    Posted: December/15/2007 at 13:56
Hey guys, have had a 7mm-08 that wouldn't shoot to my wants and i sent the barrel down the road. I do however want to build another 7mm-08 for a lightweight deer rifle and I also want to build a 260. I ordered a 260 lothar walther barrel (anybody with experience with these?) and have an action and all pieces to put one together. Whats the boards experience with these two calibers and likes-dislikes? I know some of you guys have played with these calibers and would take any ideas or opinions to help in these projects. I sent a conquest in that I suspected had some parallax and it did. Looks like a couple months on it and the barrel so I have some time to formulate some ideas. Course they will both involve short barrels and very accurate action builds.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 14:09
I shot a 7mm-08 for a good while.  The .260 has mojo the 7mm doesn't.  I realized this the day I dropped a big hog in his tracks at 125 yds with a 120 gr Ballistic Tip, and then a couple of hours later watched my 11 year old son shoot crows at a little over 200 yds with the same gun.  He was kind of recoil shy at the time, too.  My brother was so impressed he went that day and bought a Kimber 84 just like mine (a very lightweight rifle).   You're going to love the .260. 
I almost bought a Remington 700 Sendero in .264 Win Mag not too long ago, just so I could have "more .260", but after I looked at the ballistics I decided it wasn't worth it.  It does everthing I need it to.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 14:13
I have no experience with the 7-08 but anything that throws a .284 pill is going to be pretty good. The .308 case is an excellent all around short action choice.
I do have a .260 in a Remington M7 SS that is good for 3/4" groups with factory 140gr Cor-Lokt. I have too much factory ammo to reload for it yet. I am looking foreward to it, though.
Both of these diameters have good sectional densities and ballistic coefficients. I would take the 7mm if you were going to use a short action for elk or black bear.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 14:33
Thanks guys, what I expected to hear all right. The 260 just plain fascinates me and I can't wait to play with some loads in that. Its looks to be a mama jama for varmints too, up here we got some pretty good size coyotes and cats. I want the 7mm-08 for when I get drawn for the moose permits and in case I decide to close the deal on a bear if hes big enough. One gun will also be for bad weather (stainless, rainguard scope, synthetic) while the other will be more a back-up fair weather shooter. I'm looking at 125-130 gr pills in the 260 and 140-175 in the 7mm-08. Still climbing trees also and a big long guns no fun to maneuver around through the limbs. The 260 just looks like it performs way beyond its potential at first glance. If it works on them big hogs it will do just what I want....

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 15:01

The 7mm-08 is great, but I just think the 260 improves on it.  I wouldn't hesitate to take the 260 with 140 gr Partition, or equivalent, after black bear or elk if I wasn't going to shoot over 200 yds.  I don't think a bear could be any tougher than a big hog, and the Swedes have been killing moose for a few decades with the 6.5X55.  Don't overlook the power of sectional density in a bullet.

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 15:16
I agree with you on that, the 6.5x55 has long been considered a premier moose cartridge with our scandinavian neighbors. I doubt a bear would be any tougher than a large hog, they go about 400-500 for the size blackie I would shoot but it would be a treestand shoot with time for shot placement. I only use paritions and accubonds due to the shoulder shots on large whitetails.

Focus

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 15:56
Tagged.

I too am considering a light weight hunting rifle for next year.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:11
im telling you guys the 6.5mm calibers are magical, i used to have a 7-08 in a ruger compact, i bought it for the sarge before the boys came along and i tagged a doe with it one season i was using plain old federal classics 150gr sierras and it killed the deer. but my sister in law has a rem m7 i suspect like dougs and she killed two deer in one sitting and didnt even know it until she walked over to start gutting out, she shot the one and it dropped so fast she didnt see it go down and then the fawn came in and she shot it too. 6.5s are awesome, i really am impressed with the performance of the 130gr accubond in my 6.5 rem mag and im sure that in the 260 they will work just as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:23

not that is makes a difference or should influence a decision but I think the only gun listing in Remington for the 260 is in their mod.7  --- died already????? 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:25
you are correct dale but i think its because they are putting them in compact rifles just like ruger is chambering the .260 in a compact as well, no need to put it in a m700 imo

Edited by pyro6999 - December/15/2007 at 16:28
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:35
the 708 is still in the 700. which still seems strange. , either one in a titanium action and a mcmillian socko stock would be great.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:36
And Mother Green offers NO .260's for us poor lefties.

Oh bother, I guess it's back to a 30-06 for this kid.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:44
sako chambers the 260 in there 85 as well
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:46
Yeah savage offered a 260 in their SS guns for lefties and RH but discontinued due to poor sales. Oh well that why I swap and change barrels all the time, just screw the old 260 tube on my favorite action. Don't care if it fades out or not, just give me a set of dies and I can turn quality 7mm-08 or 308 brass into 260 brass all day. The caliber just has my attention and I've got to try one out, the more I hear the more I want one! Hope that lothar walther barrel is a shooter....

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:48
if that barrels not a shooter try a krieger or a lilja
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:51
Remington really dropped the number of rifles they chamber in .260; a sure sign they weren't selling too fast.  Too bad, but nobody's getting mine!   It's interesting that they added the 264 Win Mag in the Sendero; that died 40 years ago.  Another great option if you're building a rifle is the 6.5-284.  The long range boys love those.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:53
they actually have the .264 in a 700 cdl sf going right now too, i am thinking of buying one
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:53
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

And Mother Green offers NO .260's for us poor lefties.

Oh bother, I guess it's back to a 30-06 for this kid.

Mark, you could pick up any left hand 700 that has a 30-06 sized bolt- face recess (22-250, .243, .308, .270 Win. etc.) and have it re-barrelled to .260 without too much trouble. I wouldn't even worry about using a long action, though a short action would save a bit of length and a couple (?) ounces.
 As a matter of fact a long action may feed a bit more smoothly.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:53
hey ct why not buy a 700cdl in a 243 lefty and rebarrel it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:54
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

Remington really dropped the number of rifles they chamber in .260; a sure sign they weren't selling too fast.  Too bad, but nobody's getting mine!   It's interesting that they added the 264 Win Mag in the Sendero; that died 40 years ago.  Another great option if you're building a rifle is the 6.5-284.  The long range boys love those.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic