OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Simmons Aetec 2.8 x 10 x 44 on Encore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simmons Aetec 2.8 x 10 x 44 on Encore
    Posted: February/04/2004 at 00:23

First Posting?

I am in the thought process of purchasing a Simmons Aetec 2.8 x 10 x 44 for my 209 x 50 Encore, and was wondering if I will need high scope mounting rings versus medium height scope rings.

Can anyone give me some insight about what to expect for clearances.

Many new scopes have a large ocular endbell outer ring that interferes with hammer access, this scope appears to me to be slightly smaller.

The objective lense on a 44mm scope barely clears the barrel with mediem height rings.

The rear sight will be an interference with medium rings for sure, so I will reluctantly have to remove the iron sight.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2004 at 23:41

Great choice.  The Simmons Aetec line of scopes are some of the best values out there in scopes today.  The aspherical lenses give you a wide field of view and plenty of eye relief.  There is no exact science in determining ring height other than trial and error.  There are too many variables involved like; length of action, length of mounting area on scope, barrel diameter, objective O.D., rear sight, eye relief required by shooter., etc., etc.  Going by past experience and the application you present I would say high rings.   The Aetec you mention does not have an adjustable objective but its big brother (the 3.8-12x44) does and it might even require super high rings even though both scopes have a 44mm objective lens, the one with the parallax adjustment has a larger O.D. 

A hammer spur on a scoped Encore is worth its weight in gold, even when have a little clearance.

Edited by Chris
MWalker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2004 at 11:02

To answer my own question is to help others that may be of interest with a similar mounting issue.

The Aetec mounted just fine with Simmons medium height rings, I had to file down a bit of a relief in the objective lense scope cover but the end result was about .062" clearance between objective lense and barrel.

The hammer clearance ended up as satisfactory without the aid of a hammer extension. It remains accessable at the intersection of the 1" tube and the magnification adjustment ring, without gloves the hammer is safe to relax if need be.

I took my gun to to the range yesterday and was very satisified with a 2.0", 3 shot group at 150 yards. My 209 x 50 is now ready for the 2004 season.

I must add that the Aetec is a splendid scope for the dollar, and recommend one to anyone in search of a scope.

arrowsmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arrowsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2004 at 15:52
MWalker or others,

Would the rear site be a problem if the sun shade were not used?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic