OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

cabela's scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Possom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cabela's scopes
    Posted: December/15/2007 at 02:21
Does anyone know who the manufacturer is for competitor brand of scopes? Does anyone know who makes the scopes for Bass pro? (Red Head)

I am looking for better than the Tasco scopes I have, but I am on a budget. This is for deer hunting 200 yard ball park for long distance shots, most around 100 yards. Friends have suggested the Simmons Whitetail Classic (2.5x7- 44mm) as a durable accurate inexpensive scope with good low light performance.  Any similar suggestions and/or  information on the competitor line would be appreciated.

thanks-
possom
The Heartbeat of America is Freedom.
cnwrobb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnwrobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 04:45

I was told by a very young (and possibly not very experienced) employee at the Bass Pro Shop in St. Louis that their scopes were manufactured by Bushnell.  He really wasn't too sure about warranties though.  Haven't a clue about competitor line of optics.  Pentax makes a line called Gameseeker that is fairly inexpensive and yet has substanstial quality IMHO.

cnwrobb
cnwrobb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnwrobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 05:00
Meant to say don't know who makes competitor optics.  Another great option is the Sample List  that SWFA has.  Be patient, do your research and you can find a bargain.
cnwrobb
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 05:57
Possom,
i would check the www.samplelist.com and www.riflescopes.com. I'm sure you can find something in your budget but with better glass and more durable.

CNWROBB,
There is something about your avatar that makes me just want to sit and watch it for hours and hours.I can't figuer out what as of yet but I will let you know here in the next few hours.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 07:07
doesn't have any penguins in it.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 08:25
What is your budget, my friend??  
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 08:54
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

doesn't have any penguins in it.

Are you sure?

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:21
Originally posted by Possom Possom wrote:

Friends have suggested the Simmons Whitetail Classic (2.5x7- 44mm) as a durable accurate inexpensive scope with good low light performance.  Any similar suggestions and/or  information on the competitor line would be appreciated.

thanks-
possom

A friend of mine just parted with his Whitetail and bought the 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite from http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx. He could not see until last legal hours on our deer hunt. If you can stretch for $250 you will be getting an absolute best buy in hunting optics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:25
Tahqua is dead on, as usual. 

For a few dollars more, a literal cornucopia of options are opened up for the optics user these days.  
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:33
I hope I'm dead on, I just gave my brother his 4200 3-9 yesterday. That came from SWFA, too. He already has a 3-9 Conquest and I'll try to get him to post his observations here.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 13:27
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I hope I'm dead on, I just gave my brother his 4200 3-9 yesterday. That came from SWFA, too. He already has a 3-9 Conquest and I'll try to get him to post his observations here.

Yeah That would be interesting, would like to hear his opinions. I'm still wanting the 3x9 4200 for a lightweight hunting rifle I'm building.

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:18
better buy one soon
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 16:50
Thats what they say.......I'm just not ready to part with the $ yet. Hope they are still around when I want one. If not I'll get a big sky with the weatherguard coating. About the same weight but a lot more $

Focus

Possom View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Possom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:21
Well, my budget is 200usd. But I'm wanting to know what is good and durable. I know I can't afford better, best, excellent, etc. I'm just an average Joe that goes hunting in deer season, with an old rem 700. The Rifle had an old Bushnell on it and It got moisture in it, so in a bind to fill the freezer last year I bought a $40 tasco. I'm not much better off financially, So i am looking for l good. If you can understand what I mean.
The Heartbeat of America is Freedom.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 17:26
A 3200 elite bushnell in 3x9x40 - a burris fullfield ll in 3x9x40 - Sightron Sl in 3x9x40....all these will have decent optics and a warranty. The bushnell will even have rainguard and the burris if I'm not mistaken can be had with a free set of bino's.

Focus

jowens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 19:40
If you're truely on a tight budget, look on the samplelist and look at the remanufactured Nikon's. They will all be better than what you have, have a warranty, even though their customer service isn't first class, but it would be acceptable. Also consider the Sightron SI, Burris full field II, Bushnell elite 3200. All of those scopes will be a world better than what you are using and you will really appreciate the better optics. I myself, would buy the elite 3200 if it fits your budget fits. The rainguard on it is a super nice feature.
A gun is only as accurate as the person pulling the trigger.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 21:05
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2007 at 09:54
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

if your budget is $200 no fudging buy this

A very solid suggestion. I concur!
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 15:25
+1 on the sightron for all around.

what caliber rifle? and what distance will you be shooting?

there are some NICE fixed power scopes (4x32, 4x40, 6x42) that would be very good choices depending.

J
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 19:23
Sightton SII gets a thumbs up for under $200 but if you can stretch to $250 for the 3-9 Buahnell 4200 it is worth the difference and a a bargain at the price listed.  Funny I looked it up and it says 289.95 I could have sworn I got a christmas special offering them at about $250. now I cant find the e-mail. Anyway there is a free jacket with the purchase of a Bushnell with rainguard and I got one for one of my boys and it is very nice - light weight waterproof camo great for fall or just a light jacket to wear around. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic