OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fixed 4X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixed 4X
    Posted: December/14/2007 at 15:12
I am thinking about getting a fixed 4 for my 338-06 that is about done.
Looking at the zeiss conquest, can get for a little over $300. Any better options? IOR?
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 15:18
If you can get a conquest for a little over $300....jump on it! A nice little scope with good optics.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 15:57
Get the Kahles 4x fixed C.  It is more than $300, but is certainly a better option.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
miket_81 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 16:05
Where are they, I went through all of the Kahles models that SWFA carries and couldn't find  a 4X
prueman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prueman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 16:23
Why is that?
Michael
prueman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prueman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 16:25
Originally posted by prueman prueman wrote:

Why is that?
Sorry, I meant why is the Kahles a better option than the conquest?
Michael
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 18:02
Conquest 4x32 with #4 reticle or IOR Hunting 4x32 with #4a reticle would be an excellent choice.  For a little less money, you can take a look at Sightorn S2 4x32 and Leupold FX-II 4x33. 

ILya

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 19:39
Originally posted by miket_81 miket_81 wrote:

Where are they, I went through all of the Kahles models that SWFA carries and couldn't find  a 4X

Have them call the mothership Smoking%20Bandit
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

miket_81 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 00:33
Which between the IOR and the Conquest is the best optically? Is the Kahles that much better? What do the Kahles run?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 02:32
With 4x scopes, once the quality gets good enough, it is hard to figure out what is better optically.  WIth higher magnifications, differences are usually easier to see.

That having been said, I think IOR is a touch better than the Conquest, but Kahles is a touch better than either.  In practical use, you are not going to see much difference.  IOR has a steel tube, if that is something you care about.

Other differences are as follows:  They weigh about the same, with IOR being just a touch heavier (by a quarter ounce, I think).  In overall length, Conquest is noticeably longer (by an inch and a half).  IOR has shorter eyerelief (3.5" vs 4"), but larger field of view (29ft at 100 yards vs 26ft).

Kahles 4x26, I have seen around for ~$600-650.  However, if you are looking for the highest end 4x out there, S&B 4x36 at nearly a grand is it.  Kahles and S&B are similarly sized and have noticeably short eyerelief (at 3.1") and wider field of view.

For my money, I would probably go with an IOR or Conquest.  If this is gong on a gun that works OK with short tubes, SIghtron S2 4x32 is a great little scope with gobs of eye relief.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 11:23
The Kahles shows up here http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mfg_selection=5&prod_type=1&hide_sold=false sometimes. Otherwise all the scopes mentioned so far are good to go. They are fairly compact and look good on a rifle.
I have two older 4x scopes. A Burris FF and a B&L Balfor. They are both very clear and just plain work. Extremely solid and, unless shooting in low light at long range, cover nearly all the bases.

Edited by tahqua - December/15/2007 at 11:31
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 11:38
Used to have a balfor....really good scope. Never see anyone mention them much anymore.

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:00
I went on the search for one a bunch of years back. John Barsness had written an artilce in Sports Afield saying that he thought the Balfor 4x was near as good as the 4x Zeiss. He also said it was unfortunate that B&L was discontinuing the model. I found one through Cherry's Gun List and bought it.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:03
I inherited mine from my Dad, B&L made some of the best optics available in the sixties and seventies.Had several balvar scopes also, one still brand new.

Focus

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 15:27
IOR hunting would be nice and affordable - i have the 4x40 monarch UCC and it's really nice for the money, but the reticle MAY be too thin for some.

zeiss conqest would be great, if the budget allows.

J
jowens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 18:11
IOR's are very good scopes. Etched recticles and very good low light performance. For the money, i would def. take the IOR inless i could get the Kahles off the sample list for a decent price.
A gun is only as accurate as the person pulling the trigger.
rahtreelimbs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rahtreelimbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2007 at 21:52
Although not in the same class as Zeiss or Kahles what is the opinion of the Nikon Buckmasters 4X ???
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2007 at 10:38
Have on on my 10/22, like it for what it's used for.  My 22 Mag will sport the Kahles 4x when I get the rings, unless I sell the scope first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic