OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

short barrel .30 cals....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 12:28
as long as you dont load it down to much, in those magnums thats a big deal
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 13:11
mostly it is reduced mag powder loads or small amounts of slow burning powders, 4759 will shoot at any low level in a mag case. (as an example).
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 13:14
as an example I use .412 cast bullets and HS-6 in my 416 rem. alot, lots of fun out to a 100 yds, and cheap practice (say nothing of recoil reduction)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 13:16
yeah i cant imagine shooting that with full strength loads very oftenCrutch
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 11:08
I've had good success with the 308 at 20/22" barrel lengths, with pretty warm OCW loads it still tickles 2800fps and delivers superb accuracy. With our brush and regrowth jungles to hunt in it seems all long barrels do is inhibit handling when you do make contact. I would consider longer barrels with the larger powder charge magnums if they were in my arsenal. Accurate reloading did an interesting test where they kept cutting a 223 barrel shorter and shorter while recording the velocity changes. At some lengths there was little difference but at other points it was note worthy. It was not a consistent velocity loss as it got shorter.

Focus

Edited by Focus - December/15/2007 at 11:10
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 11:10
gotta link?? for the test
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 11:36
It's interesting to see the different manufactures of semi autos often releases .300 WM as the first caliber in a new model and that is with only 20" barrels.
Sauer, Benneli, Browning to meantion some..........

Regards Technika
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 11:43
Sure wasn't sure if that was allowed........

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 11:47
I wish I had cut my 308 barrel on my deer rifle to 20" instead my gunsmith is a long barrel guy and I'm a short barrel guy. It was a 26" bull barrel and I wanted 20" he wanted 24" so we compromised at 22". Now that I've got a couple tack driver loads worked up I don't want to have to play with OAL and powder charge to get back where I am if I cut it.

Focus

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 11:47
Hey there Gentlemen!!!.............................This is a veeeeeery interesting topic!!! HMMMM!...........................It just so happens, that I have just a LITTLE experience with shorter barreled compact rifles and chronographing the results of my reloads!!..... As some of you know, I have a 300 WSM, M77 Ruger Frontier compact, WITH a 16.5" barrel. Well! My chrono results show (somewhat) different results than Technika`s findings with his 20" Browning!!..........Also, there is an interesting article on "gunblast.com" (click on "archives" & scroll all the way down to 2/10/04). In that article by Jeff Quinn, his test rifle was a Ruger Frontier 300 WSM with the 16.5" barrel, which is exactly like mine..........His chrono tests paint a little different picture!! Using factory 180 gr. ammo, his chrono results were in the mid 2700 fps. range, which in effect duplicate or slightly exceed the 30-06 velocities from the longer tubes!! Hmmmm! Also, in Dick Metcalf`s article in "shootingtimes.com," his chrono results from a 7mm/08 Frontier show about a 4.5% total loss in velocity vs. the 24" tubes!!! Hmmm! ...................Now! We all know that each individual rifle has its own characteristics and velocity differences are no exception, EVEN when using factory ammo!! I did not chrono any factory ammo, BUT I did chrono my reloads!...................Here are my chronograph results..................67 gr. IMR 4350; 150 gr. Sierra Gameking @ 3155 fps!!!Excellent.............................64.5 gr. IMR4350; 180 gr. Sierra Gameking @ 2994 fps!!!!Excellent.....................69gr. Rel#19; 200 gr. Nosler A/Bond @ 2828 fps!!!!Excellent Groupings for those three were 1.20" or less!!ExcellentExcellentExcellent ShockedShockedShockedShocked.....................Was I cheated here??? Hmmm? I don`t tink so!! It just goes to show that indeed,,,every rifle is different!.................As for me? I`ll be more than happy to trade off a small 4.5 % of velocity loss for a more lighter, more compact, quicker handling rifle and from a barrel that is 31% shorter than the 24" tubes!!..........................I`m interested in two things; accuracy, then velocity! Muzzle flash? Loud?? Recoil?? Could care less!!...................For you short barrelled detractors??? Don`t be too fast out there to criticize the short barrelled stuff! You just may be surprised!! In fact, you will be surprised!!!!!!!!!!!.......Technika! Try a Ruger Frontier!!Wink
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 11:55
I agree with ya Big Squeeze, wish I could shorten your username but when I do it don't look good....accuracy varies as barrel length is changed also. It changes the barrel node where the bullet exits with a given powder charge and OAL. I know you can tune this out somewhat but still a barrel will give certain accuracy levels at certain lengths. Benchresters seem to hover at the 20" mark you notice. Look at the different accuracies with the test barrel they shortened in my link......it was shot at perfect conditions in an indoor range with no wind from a bench.

Focus

Edited by Focus - December/15/2007 at 11:56

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:02
Focus!..................Shorter barrels are inherently a little more accurate than the longer tubes as Metcalf points out! Less harmonic resonance from the shorter barrels! However, when you rapid fire them, your accuracy goes to the crapper!..........I wait a minimum of 3 minutes between rounds with the bolt open to cool the barrel down! I`ve never had too rapid fire on a hunt anyway, so that aspect has no disadvantage!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:07
whats wrong with posting the link??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:08
Quote I`ve never had too rapid fire on a hunt anyway, so that aspect has no disadvantage!

Glad to see you're not a spray and pray man! Yes barrel harmonics really come into play with accuracy. I find contour has a lot to do with heat build as the heat builds faster in light contours. I like medium contours but short OAL length, short and stubby you might say.

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:08
holy balls that had to be louder than hell at 10 inches
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:14
Hey Pryo!!!...........................How`s about you and me going to the range sometime, that is, if you`re ever out in Calif. or I get to Minn.............With some of my reloads, I`ll let you shoot my little (MILD) honey!!!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:19

no way man! i cant handle the recoil in my 23" wsm, you think i could handle a 18.5" one shooting the same load?? i shoot 66.6 grs of r-19 out of mine at 2990fps and thats more than enough

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:27
Pyro.......................Oh c`mon now!!! You can handle it!!! You can do it!! You can use my Limbsaver slip on recoil pad too! Just wear a T-SHIRT!!! I`ll even bring my .375 Ruger Alaskan for ya!.....Say, 40 rounds each???Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:31
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

whats wrong with posting the link??

I've been on some sites that don't like you posting links to other sites. It sends members to the competition. Like I said some sites don't approve of it, I just wanted to know it was acceptable before doing so on here thats all.

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 12:43

i dont see why, it was intresting info pertaining to our topic at hand.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic