OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sight in Question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sight in Question.
    Posted: December/13/2007 at 21:03
Just got a Nikon Prostaff 4x32 to go on my .17 hmr.  First fixed objective i've used for small game.  Just wondering at what distance should i sight it in for?  Be doing mostly close in tree squirrel shooting.  In the past i've sighted in at 25 or 30 yards with a .22 lr.  The .17 has so much more energy, should i go longer just for the heck of it?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 05:57
Here is a very detailed page on the .17 HMR from Varmint Al
Looks like 100 yards might be a good way to go.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 08:24
I have two HMR's have shot about 5000 rds. This is what I have found.......REMEMBER just my opinion.....I sight my HMR's in at 50 yards. They will hit center again at 110 yards. This is using 17 gr V-Max Hornady ammo. I tried the 3x9 scopes and found that was not enough power (for me)I went to a 4.5x14 on one and a 6x18 on the other. I found that shooting paper the higher power really helps. A group of us try to get together and shot for bragging rights every once in awhile. Since owning the 17 HMR's  I have done alot more shooting. I keep trying to see how far I can hit a target with it.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
ghost82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 19:09
thanks for the  input fellas i knew i could count on some good advice here.  Ill try some different things.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 19:41

It somewhat depends on how much mid-range trajectory you are willing to live with. For squirrel head shots, a half inch is about the limit for me. Choose your favorite load, zero at 80-100 yards or so as suggested above, and shoot at various closer distances adjusting your scope's elevation as necessary to achieve a point-of impact no more than a half-inch, (or whatever you decide on), above point-of-aim at any distance . I don't own a .17, but something around 90 yards  should be a pretty good start.

Medic- you stated that you typically zero at 50/110. Do you happen to know how high it hits at 80 or 90?
 ( I would guess less than an inch, but I really don't know for certain...)
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 09:10
At the end of this month we are going to a friendly shoot. I have my Marlin 917VS zeroed at 50 yards. We will be able to put targets up every 10 yards. I will set out to (125 maybe) and see what happens and give a report. Hope to be able to weather permitting of course....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2007 at 13:09

Excellent!
ghost82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2007 at 19:39
Reading that article down to the prickly pear and 2x4 test makes me believe i could probably take coyote with the .17 although most feel its not a good coyote weapon.  Has anyone taken coyote with their .17.  After all it really boils down to shot placement!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 06:00
I have taken coyote with .22 LR so I have to believe you can with the .17HMR. It is all about shot placement since both calibers are marginal.
igniter3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igniter3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 13:32
Hi,
I sight in my Ruger .17HMR at 50 yards (Bulleye). 100 yards hit about 1/2" high,
and a 1/4" low at 20 yards. I use ICC full metal jacket.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic