OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low Lite Scope Needed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Lite Scope Needed.
    Posted: December/13/2007 at 17:54
I am looking for a scope for my 270.  I've problems seeing through my leopold at low light when i could still see through my Nikon binoculars. Any suggestions?  I would be willing to spend $2000+.
tucker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 18:11
If you have 2 grand to spend get a Swarovski PH (2.5 x 10 50mm) or a high end Zeiss.  I have a friend who swears by Swarovski, he owns several.  Your question would be tougher if you had $200 to spend.
tucker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 18:15
Or a Swarovski z6
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 18:33
Easy, Zeiss Victory Diavari 3-12X56, Kahles Helia C 3-12X56 (or an illuminated version for under 2k).  Zeiss being better, but you wouldn't be able to tell.  Swaro is good, but get the 2-12X50 Z6.  Don't know what magnification you want, but choose from these three lines.  Remember your binos will always be brighter due to binocular vision.  Jumping into this line of scopes will increase the brightness, but the biggest difference you will see will come in clarity.  I'd get the Kahles, (I have one and love it) and save $700 toward Zeiss binos.  Good luck.

Edited by TheDrakeTaker - December/13/2007 at 18:36
Robert
Richardson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 19:01
Thanks for the suggestions.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 19:07
Richardson -

I am going to give you slightly different advice.  I would not go larger than a 42mm objective lens.  You will have zero use for the higher powers (say, greater than 7x) with a .270 rifle and the 50 and 56mm objective lens are so damn big they sit too high on the rifle for most people.  I would hate to see you spend that $$$ and not be a perfect fit for it.

With this in mind, Kahles, Swarovski and Zeiss are all superb.  Schmidt & Bender is excellent also, although they are heavy.  If $$$ is truly no object, I strongly believe the Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 is the best scope optically on the market today.  Having said that, I own 2 Kahles scopes with more on the way in 2008. Wink

Good luck.  Enjoy!

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 19:09
ND brings up a good point, I forgot this was going on a .270.  The Z6 he threw out would be excellent.
Robert
Richardson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 20:15

Would the 56mm not let in more light?

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 21:10
Originally posted by Richardson Richardson wrote:

Would the 56mm not let in more light?

It not as much the amount of light that is let in, as the amount of light that gets through.  That is a function of the how well the lenses and prisms are ground and coated.  Then it become a matter of how much light your eye can proscess. 

A 42mm lense at 6x has the same amount of usable light as defined by the ablity of the eye to dialate as a 56mm lense at 8x.  With that all said, I have to then turn around and tell that stuff is true on paper, but can be a a bunch of crap because of other variables also invovled.  Things like your eye health and the quality of the scope are more important than the paper formula.

Now the bigger lense also effects things that can help you by the way it changes the internals of the scope.  It can improve resolution of the image by the way it focuses the light, but that can also be a part of the function of the lenght of the tube.  Some of those factors are in conflict with popular features like making the scope smaller and lighter.  It comes down to how the light gets bent in the tube.   

There are some nice 3x9 scopes that are less than the two grand, but you will still have to lay out some money for them.  The guys can be like the government, Well a couple are closer to strippers but, you tell them how much money you have and they will help you  spend it. Yippee If you want 8x over 6x then you pay more.  The Kahles, Zeiss and S&B would all make great choices, but I'd look at some of their lower powered models and see I if could keep some coin. 

Edited by silver - December/13/2007 at 21:14
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 21:49
kahles is a great choice and you can save a lot of money over a s&b or a swaro  and still get a great scope
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 05:07
It is a simple choice really, considering your budget-you can't go wrong with choosing top of the line 56mm Swaro,Zeiss,S&B,Kahles. Be sure to pick models with illuminated dot,or thicker crosshairs that are visible in low light.If you want to save some money-there are fixed power 8x56 riflescopes specially designed for night hunting-every of the above mentioned companies produce it. 
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 08:19
if you hunt in SC, like i do - the 56mm won't be a bad choice UNLESS it would be too big for comfort.

the 56mm will allow for more magnification use in the lowlight.  i use a 7x56 on my 7mm and it's a great beanfield gun in the lowlight.

good luck - all have been good suggestions. i would get the illuminated kahles C and call it a day.

J
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 08:40
I'm trying to decide between a Kahles 4x12x52 CL and a Zeiss 3.5x10x50 Conquest leaning toward the Kahles never owned one, love the Zeiss Conquest they have been GREAT to me....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 08:42
 you will be surprised when you look at the kahles, the cl is a great scope, as is the conquest i dont think you could go wrong either way they are both good scopes.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 09:38
Depending on your eyes, the larger objective will payoff in a larger exit pupil. Personally, I tend to feel that in practice exit pupil size has more to do with low light performance than most other factors. Of course, there is a  point of diminishing returns. Contrary to some views, I do feel that a 8mm exit pupil is more useful in low light than a 6mm. Also, fixed power scopes of the same quality generally have a very slightly brighter image.

Just my two cents.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 15:58
CL is the winner in that battle - but the zeiss is very good too.

+1 on the lower powered fixed scopes. a good 4x is hard to beat.

J

jowens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 18:10
Swaro Z6 or High End Zeiss
A gun is only as accurate as the person pulling the trigger.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 18:11
I think you should consider what other features are important to you as well as bright optic and spending 2K so I would say give some consideration to a good fixed 6x42 which is very bright very reasonably sized compared to a 56mm scope. I think the IOR tactical 6x42 is very hard to beat and the MP8 reticle is quite good for known hold over marks or you can dial in correction and it is not nearly as much money.  If you prefer the ability to use the scope at high power to evaluate game animals I have a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 that I like the glass in and I just dial it down to about 6x when it gets dark and poof it is bright, by jumping to a 56mm you only gain from 6x to 8x so not sure it is worth the size difference. I do however really like the 56mm Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10 with tritium & fiber optic illuminated post  and may will buy one eaven though I despise anything over 50mm.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
timbercruiser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbercruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 19:17
For a low light scope get the 3x12x56 Zeiss Diavari and you won't ever have any regrets.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 23:35
I would recomend Zeiss 3-12x56 for normal low liight use.
If its a budget situation i would go for a second hand 8x56 on Ebay or simlar.
And if there is no budget situation at all and you have longer ragnes I would recomend Zeiss 6-24X72.
When I tried a number of high end scopes years ago a september evening I gained 15-30 minutes with the 6-24x72 compared to other scopes.
THe test was on a fox at 330 yards and a hare at 170 yards.

I did recently a test betwen Burris rangefinding scope and Zeiss diarange 3-12x56.
a fox at 35 yards and the hare at 160 yards.
over 30 minutes after we no longer could see the hare in the 3-12x56 would it be no problem to kill it with the -72mm.....

For low light use there is currently nothing that beats Zeiss 6-24x72 when it comes to conventional optics.
I use different rifles to different uses, and the rifle I use for low light use is optimezed for that and therefor is the looks on that rifle not as important.

Last but almost as important is to buy a set of rubber eyepiece and objective extensiontube.
Those items makes a huge differance when having low moons or lights from farms that is disturbing.

Regards Technikagards
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic