OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

razor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: razor
    Posted: December/12/2007 at 03:34

I recently upgraded the scope on my deer hunting rifle from a Nikon Monarch to a Kahles CL and now want to upgrade my binoculars to be on par with this scope.

I have heard a lot of good reviews on the Vortex Razors and was wondering how they compare wtih what i am using now.  I currently have a pair of Bausch and Laumb Discoverers in 10X42, do you guys think there is a discernable difference between them and the Razors.  I am willing to spend more but i am reluctant too.  I have been somewhat happy with the Discoverers but not completely satisfied.  I have a hard time focusing them so that i have a clear and sharp image throughout the whole view. I have been looking at the 8X42 model Razors, do you think there will be a noticeable improvement beetween what i am using and the razors or should i step up further to swaroski or even leica?  any information would be helpfull thanks.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 08:33
If you haven't read this yet it will be helpful to you:

deerkiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 18:39

Thanks Birdwatcher.  I hadn't read those reviews, they were very promising.  I would say if the razors are coming close to the quality of the big three they must be a real value and are probably a good upgrade from what i have been using.  thanks i think i will give them a try.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 20:12
You're welcome, please be sure and give us your evaluation of the one you purchase.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 20:35
Deerkiller -

If you can afford them, go with Swarovski or Leica.  The difference between the two is personal preference.  You will forever be disappointed knowing there is something better out there for you if you get the Razors.

For example, I have what I believe to be the best pair for me under $1,000.  I also have a pair of Swarovski ELs.  I can assure you that I find myself using the Swarovskis 100% of the time.

Good luck.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 18:52
GET SOME LEICA's or SWAROVSKI's

You can find NEW LEICA's cheaper than MAP now, i believe SWFA sells the ultravids below MAP because the NEW HD's are out thus they can discount the "older" model. They will still cost more but this is something you will own for years, whats a coupel hundred dollars over 5-10 years
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 20:08
The Vortex Razor 8x42 costs $700 brand new.

The Leica Ultravid 8x42 costs $1,450 pre-owned, at SWFA.

That's alot more than a couple hundred dollars.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 21:08
u can get it "pre-owned" cheaper than that from an authorized leica dealer

but anyway, yep its more

over 10 years, it a whopping 70$ a year
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 22:04
If I find a payment plan where they let me pay $70 a year,Bandito I'll be the first one in line!
Lobber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 18:57
I got the Razors a few days ago. I spent alot of time looking through top end binos before I went with the Razor. After receiving my 10x42s and spending a couple hours with them, I can honestly say that in my own opinion, throwing another $1,000 at a big 3 name is money wasted.

I look at it like this. I'm not made of money, and $700-1000 will pay for quite a few years of my annual deer hunt out west. And having a pair of ELs or Ultravids instead of the Razors will never be the make or break on a monster buck. I really believe the glass is that close.
Hey guys watch this, see that Prairie Dog waaay out there?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic