OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

20mm vs. 50mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20mm vs. 50mm
    Posted: December/10/2007 at 17:36
You guys gave great advise last time so I'll fire off another one!!!   How much difference is there between a 20mm and a 50 mm scope...as far as letting light in.  I worry about scopes much under 40mm because I fear I won't be able to see well thru them the last few minutes of legal time.  Please include the smallest objective that ya'll would use for hunting around dusk.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 17:42
The formula for the area is area = pi X radius squared but that is only one factor in light transmission, you really need to do a side by side comparison in low light, the quality of the scope makes a difference with small objectives.

Duce Smile
Duce
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 17:52
depends on the magnification
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 18:09
Heres a handy chart to give you a quick overall idea. First depending on your age and general eye condition your exit pupil size will be 5 to an absolute best of about 7. Unless you're quite young figure about 5-6 now look at the objective diameters you're comparing. It shows how much power you can use for your eyes exit pupil. Now all things being equal the higher magnification will allow you to see an object in low light better simply because its larger in the sight picture. This of course has to take into account that you can hold the rifle and scope steady at higher power. Now the brightness and resolution gets mixed in by taking into account the actual optical quality of your chosen scope. Not a simple one answer fits all kind of thing.....

I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2007 at 06:20
If you take two of the same scope models, but in a 3-9X40 and a 3-12X56, the 56 will be brighter at higher powers.  When the exit pupil is above 7 on both scopes you will not be able to tell a difference in brightness.  When you get above 5.5x on the 40 you will see that the 56 is brighter on up to 8x.  8x is your best shooting power on the 56 and 5.5x is your best shooting power on the 40 as fas as brightest high magnification.
Robert
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2007 at 14:51
a 3-9x40 is plenty of 'light' if you keep the magnification around 5 or 6 when it gets dark.

if you are hunting longer ranges where magnification is important, go 50-56mm if you want the most light - BUT it's a huge objective lense that may look funny on your rifle.

J
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic