OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FOr the millionth time Zeiss vs. leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOr the millionth time Zeiss vs. leupold
    Posted: October/26/2004 at 20:42
I am getting a 3x9 conquest or a 3.5-10 vx-3
I like the non-critical eye relief of leupold
I like the etched reticle and superior optics of the zeiss
Eberyone I have called including SWFA today and Bearbasin, have told me to go with the conquest
What do you all think
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2004 at 23:58

Both are very good scopes. I would take the Zeiss any day of the week over the Leupold. The Leupold scopes are very tough. Personally I woud opt for Zeiss. 

P.S. what type of hunting do you plan on?

Edited by Roy Finn
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2004 at 00:05

What's your point? SWFA & Bearbasin said to go with the Zeiss. Stop beating a dead horse.

Edited by Roy Finn
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2004 at 04:55
i heard the new vx-3 is a 3 piece tube??? not a 1 piece?
I would assume the leupolds ot be tougher but no one has told me they thought the same
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2004 at 12:00
Will Plato's essentialism replace evolution?
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2004 at 22:00

Zeiss.

ranburr

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2004 at 09:56

i say go wiht the zeiis aswell, its one awesome scope for the money.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
One-Eyed Jack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One-Eyed Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2004 at 13:40
Originally posted by SAKO75 SAKO75 wrote:

I like the non-critical eye relief of leupold
I like the etched reticle and superior optics of the zeiss

I have a different experience with my Zeiss Conquest 4,5-14x44mm and Leupold 4.5-14x40mm Vari-X III Tactical scopes. I do prefer the Zeiss reticle, but I also think the Zeiss' eye relief is less critical than the Leupold's, and it's a little crisper and brighter.  In addition, the side parallax adjustment is a dream compared to the Leupold's AO. If the Zeiss were a little less pretty and a little more "tactical" (e.g., the textured black paint easily scuffs - how about anodizing it?), then it would be even better.  The Leupold is still an excellent scope (and, I think, less expensive); I could use more magnification in both. My main scopes are USOs. For the money, it's hard to beat the optics of this particular Conquest and I would buy another one if I needed another "small" scope.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2004 at 14:24
kokdyer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kokdyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2004 at 23:29

I have both and the Docter, Burris, and Kahles.  Go with the Zeiss!  Leupold may a smidgen tougher, but optical quality of the other four is extremely apparent!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic