OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Impromtu scope&mount test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impromtu scope&mount test
    Posted: December/09/2007 at 13:57
It seems to be common knowledge that I tend to be slightly abusive in the treatment of gear.  Less known is that I actually take pretty good care of things when not trying to break them.

I recently bought an M1A supermatch which is more accurate than I had hoped for.  Old eyes required that a scope be installed, the open sights are not compatible with 20th century eyes.

Got a Sadlak aluminium mount, installed per instructions and email advice from Mike Sadlak.
Mount looked well made, instructions are concise, fit and finish very well executed.

Topped this with a MkIV M3 scope and badger rings.  Range trip proved that the low Badgers were too high to shoot sling prone.   Off to see the optical wizards at SWFA for a ring refit.  An hour into their backroom I came away with a set of low IOR rings that I'm quite impressed with.

Range trip today to zero the rifle in 32 degree temps and a 19 degree wind chill.  It's raining  :)

Set the rifle on bags, got the scope to point of aim=point of impact and reset the knobs to zero.  Turned around to get something from the vehicle................and turned back only to watch a wind gust take my beautiful M1A off the bags, 36 inches to the ground, scope side down, impacting cold hard concrete right on top of the elevation turret.

Well crap.  Loaded 5 into the magazine to set about the re-rezero process.
Put those five shots into the middle of the first 5.

Thank you note to Mike Sadlak pending.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 17:33
 NOW are those darn Leupolds really THAT much overpriced?
Seriously though that is one of my worst nightmares. How bad is the cosmetic damage?
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 17:48
I get to refinish the stock and I'll just ignore the divot on the elevation turret.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2007 at 10:41
That is what I would call a real sad story.ouch

Duce Crutch
Duce
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2007 at 20:48
Damn, that sucks, Mike!  I've had that happen a couple times, and everything just sorta goes in slow motion there for a minute as your mind says "NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!" before your body has time to react.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 07:14
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

NOW are those darn Leupolds really THAT much overpriced?

Thunbs%20Up That is really something that you didn't damage the scope more.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 08:47
which mk4 are you using mike?? the lower m3 probably helped, m1s would have been as forgiving.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic