OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Browning 243

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfljr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Browning 243
    Posted: December/09/2007 at 11:59
My son has a Browning 243 and wants a new scope. He uses this gun in Alabama to hunt deer - longest shot 100 yards usually. What do you recommend for a good medium priced scope?
bfljr
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 12:18
what do you consider medium priced?? to me that $300-500 to you that may be $200-300 i assume its an abolt? i know a lot of people will say a 3x9 is a waste but i carry 3x9 no matter where i hunt no matter how far the shot, inside a 100yds 3x9 is fine, if you dont think he needs 3x9 spend more money and get a 1.5x5 or something like that or even a red dot.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 12:31
For me that would be a 3x9x40 zeiss conquest.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 12:40
Since there is no specific price range, I`ll concentrate on the magnifications! You say that the longest shot (USUALLY) is 100 yards or less! Your son must nevertheless be prepared for the longer shots if needed!.........A 243 certainly has the capability for deer at 300 yards, so I would suggest scoping the rifle for that eventuality and not limiting or assuming that there will never be a 200 or 300 yard shot!..........The perfect variable here for that eventuality is the 3x9. Other choices you can consider are the 2x8`s or the 2x7`s. I wouldn`t use anything less than a 2x7 variable! 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 13:02
Let's back up.  What's his current scope?  What would he liked changed and why? Bolt or lever Browning?  How much time does he spend plinking with the gun besides hunting?  Does your son some have more maturing to do?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

bfljr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfljr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 14:45
It is an A bolt and currently he has a 3x9x40 Nikon scope. He thinks he needs a larger scope (50) so he can get more light in late in the day? What do others think?
bfljr
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 14:48
buckmast pro staff monarch??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 14:52
10mm difference in objective will make little difference for light capability! Besides a 50mm scope is heavier, has a higher profile and not worth the extra money to own one!.........Upgrading your glass is one thing, going from a 40mm to a 50mm is another! Keep the Nikon!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 14:54
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

10mm difference in objective will make little difference for light capability! Besides a 50mm scope is heavier, has a higher profile and not worth the extra money to own one!.........Upgrading your glass is one thing, going from a 40mm to a 50mm is another! Keep the Nikon!

squeeze, is that you?? you feeling ok bud?? if he has a 3x9 prostaff or a buckmaster i could see getting a 4200 or something with better glass, even a monarch would be a huge move if he has a prostaff i cannot believe you didnt say 4200 buy it now!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 15:12
First! He didn`t say what Nikon he has!..... Second, if he already has a good quality Nikon, Monarch or Buckmaster, going from a 40mm to a 50mm is very little improvement, UNLESS there is an upgrade in glass!!!..........If the Nikon is a lower priced Prostaff, then sure, the upgrade is an option!!....................I feel fine Pyro! No straight jacket needed.....YET!!! 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 15:13
well i realize that the 40 to 50 wont much matter but if he's got a pro staff stepping up to a monarch or a 4200 would be a very wise move
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 15:16
we could sure use some more info here
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 15:21
Yep!!! The more details the better!!!!................Looking forward to my new 375 Ruger Alaskan with the Trijeeeeeee!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 15:23
im looking forward to my new rem700 .264winmag with the i dont know what scope yet!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 15:32
Hey Pyro!!!................. Have an idea for you! I`ll sell you my 3x9 Elite for $200+ shipping! I still have the original box and all paperwork from last March or April when I got it! The scope is in the same shape as new. Originally paid $298!..................I will upgrade to the 3x9 Trijicon for my Ruger Frontier!..........That combo will be lightning to the target. When I pig hunt, I sometimes lose the cross hairs in the dark hide! How about that?  
bfljr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfljr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 15:53
I do not know what type Nikon it is - how can I tell? I have looked all over the scope and do not find another name or model.
bfljr
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 15:55
should say just on top of the barrel end of the scope in gold letters
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 16:04
Originally posted by bfljr bfljr wrote:

I do not know what type Nikon it is - how can I tell? I have looked all over the scope and do not find another name or model.

Model number?? Where was it made??
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bfljr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfljr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 20:06
On the bottom of the scope it says:

3x9x40
Japan
bfljr
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 23:11
Originally posted by bfljr bfljr wrote:

On the bottom of the scope it says:

3x9x40
Japan

Then I'm guessing he's got a Monarch.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic