OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are the cold weather issues w/ Super Sniper fixed?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Are the cold weather issues w/ Super Sniper fixed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wangstang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are the cold weather issues w/ Super Sniper fixed?
    Posted: December/09/2007 at 09:22
I am looking at the Super Sniper 10x[The mythical 4.8-20 Variable Super Sniper is what I'd really like but I don't know how long it will be before we see it.], and I was curious to know if the grease application issue is now resolved on the units so that there are no issues in cold weather.  I'll be putting the scope ontop of a long 20" flat top AR for 100-500 yard shooting in all sorts of weather.  I work as an LEO so this will be my long range gun, I have a 14.5" for under 100 yard work.

So, back to my original question, can anyone advise if the cold weather issues are resolved?

Thanks,
Wes

PS:  Which unit was the milspec ordered unit, the unit with the side turent adjustable focus of the unit with the focus at the Ocular?
45.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2007 at 13:16
Nope, at least not with mine. In the warmth of the house the ELE knob is very mushy; no clicks and wiggles betweens index marks, the WND is OK. Shot 2x in the cold and last time it was around 12-14F and I could not get either turret to move without applying great force; knob in the web between thumb and index finger like vice-grips to turn it. ELV knob had no index clicks / stops just rotated and the WND had stops but no clicks but it was so hard to turn both of them, I stopped for fear of breaking something. I have not been out since then since low pressure and high wind prevail right now but when it gets cold here in Jan, have to use hold over for varmints since the knobs probably will not rotate.

Had a stringing issue 2nd time out in a stiff cross wind sort of thinking it was the sight but figured out it was me and the cross wind had more effect than most realized but I admit I am no dimer at 500 yards, just having fun and shoot better than the average at the range comparing targets through spotter and back at the bench chatting, just a bad day.

Yep, removed grease and O rings but nothing really changed. In fact, at the gun shop the Tasco Target has the same knobs with mushy for $129.00, not that impressed for all the hype the SS has received. Its an OK sight but this seems to be an issue that I would think SWFA knows about and would fix or at least use different O rings and grease since this seems to fix most turret problems. Not on a tangent, just blame myself for not using my 28 year old Leupold and saving for something better, my fault, lesson learned.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2007 at 15:12
The grease is a special type called for by the original Navy contract.  It is an intermittent issue that is caused during assembly when too much is applied.  The O-ring is also very specifically specified in the original Navy contract.  Once a product is issued a NSN # it can not be altered easily.

The side focus model received the first contract but more of the rear focus have been sold to the military since the original contract.

We have changed many things about the scopes in cooperation with the DOD but some things they don't want changed.  The new variable are being designed with out any Governmental control and will use an entirely different turret assembly.

If you are having cold weather issues, try removing some of the grease and lap the turrets in by turning them to the end of their range in both directions multiple times.
45.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 14:03

That is exactly what you said to me along with changing out the O ring to an Anco 11/16"OD 1/2" ID but that is a very thick piece of rubber, more like a gasket and nothing inside the turret has rubber that thick, maybe I miss understood you or wrote it down wrong. On recommendations by many, I went to Home Depot and got size 30 O rings. Everyone keeps saying it will lap in / get better but when? I will remove more grease and crank the turrets 25 more times tonight.

Yep, I got the SS because of a friend in Iraq, I google SS and read all the reviews.  I was sold as I trust him and he said his issued Leupold wondered POI.  I remember someone even saying it would retail for $800! Its just now that I have one and one turret has no clicks / stops and wiggles between index marks and both get very stiff in the cold, and as I ask around, this is more the norm than the exception, maybe in 100 degree heat (it was 118 when I was in the kitty litter) but not in Alaska cold. I blame no one but myself for not investigating my purchase further, it will either lap in or will not, my lost, enough said.

I wonder whos brother-in-law owns the O ring and grease DOD contract. Smile

On another note, got word last night close family friend will be coming home, not perfect but alive, thank God at least he is coming home.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 14:12
45.308 welcome to The OT and more importantly, thank you for your service. Godspeed to your friend that's coming home as well.

MANY folks here, including myself have had great things to say about the Super Sniper.
As far as I'm concerned, it has lived up to "the hype", as you say. I'm very sorry your experience differs from mine and several others.

Which model do you have?    
45.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 15:38
SS10x42M. I like the glass its that dang ol ELV turret that just bugs me.

He got double dipped, shot on patrol last year in the foot, he begged to go back and finish out his time so the Army made him a truck driver. Roadside got him last week and he jumped out could not move or fight too well, you know it, then ambushed by small arms. Family got word last night. Not sure how bad yet.

Hunt and fishing bud who recommended the SS (hates Leupold now but not told me the story yet of why other than POI shift) got back last month and has yet to say much other than many dead haji, burning dead aminals and one exploding fire extinguisher shot with M24 that made him smile.

I retired in 2001, dropped my papers Sep 1 2001, 10 days before we got ambushed. 24 days later stop loss went into effect. I waited till Bush got into office so Clinton would not be on my papers, I had to make the choice to PCS or retire, wife said time to go and be home with family so I dropped them. Spent my time in DS & Panama and many not so well known, gathering ELINT. No thanks ever needed, happy to have been there, proud to have served.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 03:53

Have you slipped the dials back to zero?  If you did don't crank down on those set screws in the turrets.  Don't leave them loose but don't tourque em either.  Tighten just until they stop firmly.  After I zeroed the knobs I way overtightened those screws and I just about started jumping up and down on my rifle because those turrets wouldn't budge.  I also made darn sure when I got my SS10x42 3 years ago I worked those turrets.  I must have topped and bottomed out both turrets like 200 times before I mounted it.  Part of the problem was the PX took so damn long to get my rifle that I had the scope about 3 weeks before the rifle and f**king with the scope was the only thing keeping me from going apesh*t. 

Fight Smarter
Not Harder
45.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 12:48
I ran both turrets stop to stop last night until my hands cramped. The WND did feel like it got more crisp, or hands really tired, in the clicks but nothing changed in the ELV. I changed out the O ring to size 30 like I have been told to do, no help. I removed the O ring and nothing changed. I swabbed grease like I was told to do, still mushy and wiggles between index marks. I have repositioned and retightned the knob many times like was said and nothing changed. From day one, the WND has been OK.

To me, the ELV seems like there is something wrong. How can one turret have good clicks with stops and the other faint clicks with mushy stops and wiggles betweens marks? Out in the cold, then there is nothing; clicks or stops but a stiff turret. If the turrets are designed and manufactured the same way, then they should be the same. I have done everything that was recommended to me for a month and nothing so, it must be this way. From all that I can tell and read, this is the norm not the exception.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 13:01
Have you talked to Chris.  I have two of my scopes from SWFA and their customer service is top notch.  If your having this much of a problem see if they'll replace it for you.
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 13:09

I can replace it with one from our current stock if you like.  I'd like to look at yours first hand and possibly send it back to Japan for T&E.

SWFA, Inc.
Att. Chris Farris
420 Century Way, #100
Red Oak, Texas 75154

Include a brief note.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 13:09
We were posting at the same time. lol
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 13:29
See what I mean.  Chris is so on top of things.WOW
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
45.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 13:37
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

I can replace it with one from our current stock if you like.  I'd like to look at yours first hand and possibly send it back to Japan for T&E.

SWFA, Inc.
Att. Chris Farris
420 Century Way, #100
Red Oak, Texas 75154

Include a brief note.

Thanks, it may take a day or two or a couple for me to get it off USPS insured of course.

Once again, thanks!!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 14:39
Thats OUTSTAINDING service right there.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
45.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 12:41
Originally posted by 45.308 45.308 wrote:

Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Include a brief note.

Thanks, it may take a day or two or a couple for me to get it off USPS insured of course.

Once again, thanks!!

Chris, I appreciate your customer service and help. I was already to ship it back last night or this morning actually, I checked with the wife on our money situation and with our income and Christmas here, I cannot ship it back until Jan 7th. In the mean time, if it is OK with you, I will twist the turrets daily to see if anything gets better and let you know when Jan 7th gets here.

Once again
Thanks
acetum View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acetum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2007 at 00:36
that lube that you guys are talking about can you give me the NSN?  Is it common?  Like a dow product?  Just curious...

Also ever think about trying dow55?  For cold weather...
acetum View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acetum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2007 at 00:40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic