OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tough scope decision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linvillegorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tough scope decision
    Posted: December/09/2007 at 04:01
Alright, I'm pretty much narrowed down to three choices, all in 3-9x40:  Nikon Buckmaster BDC, Burris Fullfield II ballistic plex, and Bushnell Elite 4200.

The Burris Fullfield II is at Bass Pro right now in a combo pack with the Fullfield 8x32 binocular for $199.99.
The Buckmaster is $209.99.
I'd grab the 4200 online for $245 shipped.

I really like everything I've heard about the 4200 and I really like the Rainguard feature, but I'd really like to have the ballistic plex.
I really like the Nikon BDC, but I know the glass isn't as good as the 4200.
I really like the value of the Burris combo pack and I like what I've heard about the toughness of the scope, but again, I know I'd be giving up some glass quality and I don't like their ballistic plex as much as the BDC. 

I'm in a pinch here.  I like all three scopes, I just can't decide.  Each has benefits and each has drawbacks.  Such is life.  Given the info, what would you personally choose and why?

The scope will be going on a .308 Remington Model 700 used for elk, mule deer, and whitetails.  Shots up to 300 yards on game, out to 500 on paper.

Top Cat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Top Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 04:57
The 4200 is in another league compared to those others, and not just optically...that means a lot more to me than the reticle in this price range.

First off...there is absolutely no need for a ranging reticle out to 500 yards. With a 250 yard zero, shots out to 300 are within the MPBR...no change of elevation hold is necessary, and range estimation between 300 and 500 can be easily and accurately done with a plex reticle with a little practice.

The current Ballistic Reticles are primarily intended to be used for holdovers...Ok fine...but some means of range estimation has to be performed before they can be used...so it 's still the same problem... targets at the range are conveniently marked, so a few clicks up and presto....you are right on target.

Unfortunately, targets in the field are not... Usually ranging comes by way of an inexpensive LRF, but either way, once you know the range, it is easy enough to hold over out to 500, or dial a few clicks to put the crosshairs right where they need to be. Hold over or clicking is the much simpler method, and no math is involved.

I somewhat question the logic of a Ballistic Reticle...they sound like an interesting concept, but I don't see how they really help solve any real-world problems....if you are smart enough to figure out how to use stadia...you are smart enough to figure out how much higher to hold off on longer shots....

So I would definitely grab the better scope, considering the difference, as that will make a lot more impact on where the bullets will be striking.

There's two kinds of people in this world...those with LRFs...and those who dig... Sorry...just practicing my Clint...

TC
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 07:24
Bushnell 4200  thats not eaven a contest the others are not eaven in the same class.
Balistic reticles only work at the highest power. Back before there were balistic reticles we did something similar using known points on a dual x reticle the center x was zeroed at 200 yds which made the point above the center where the cross hair goes from thin to thick about 100 yds and the point below center where the cross hair goes from thin to thick about 300 yds. Of course there is some variation by caliber and requires that you put in some effort on the range to verify what distance corresponds to these known points.  Note: --- just like balistic reticles this only works at the highest power, unless you are using a FFP (front focal plane scope and most are not).  Hopefully this will give you the option to select the better quality scope without feeling like you are giving up too much by not having the balistic reticle. If you must have the balistic reticle look at the Leupold VXIII scopes.  I have had problems with Burris scopes and while I do have a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 it is no where near the quality of glass that my Bushnell 4200 is.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 11:38
Well you already know the strengths and weaknesses from your opening post. Its now where you want to compromise or alter your goal, I would always err to the side of better optics myself so another vote for the 4200 elite.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 12:15
i have the other two scopes and the 4200 is way better
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 12:21
The 4200 is the hands down winner here.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 12:26
Linville..................Your 1st and primary goal here should be quality in optics!! I use the KISS principle. I have never used a BDC reticle.......If you are shooting a caliber with trajectories equalling a 30-06 or better, sight or zero in your rifle at 300 yards! This will for the most part eliminate any guess work for shots out to 350 to 400 yards! For hunting, regardless of terrain; plains, thick brush or whatever, I always use the 300 yard zero. For closer shots, I aim a little low. But, from 150 yards to 325 yards, distances from which the majority of game is taken, aim dead on and you`ll nail the vitals. Aim a little higher for the 400 yard shots. The BDC is a guide, but not absolute!..........Regardless of reticle choice, you still need to know your MV and your bullet`s BC to determine bullet drop and any hold over or hold under...............Go with the Elite 4200 here! For its price, there is no better scope available!..........I own the 3x9 4200! 
jowens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 01:52
Get the Bushnell Elite 4200 and don't look back. I just bought an elite 4200 4-16X40 about a week ago to replace my Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14X42 on my Remington Model 700P Tactical rifle, and what a difference between the scopes. Bushnell wins hands down. If you need a pair of binoc's, look on ebay for the one's that come with the burris scope, they can be bought for 50 bucks or less most of the time.

I wouldn't bother with a ballistic plex if you're only hunting out to three hundred yards. Either sight your rifle in at 300 or sight it in 3 inches high at 100 and you'll be fine for everything in between 0 and 300 without hold over.
A gun is only as accurate as the person pulling the trigger.
jowens View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 01:55
And might i add that the rainguard on the elite 4200 is very nice. I can't fog it with my breath and with the tests i've put it through it will help greatly on those nasty days in the field. For the money, the elite 4200 cannot be beat, none of the scopes you are considering touch the 4200 imo.
A gun is only as accurate as the person pulling the trigger.
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 07:05
This is not a tough decision, go with better glass.  Elite 4200 is in another world compared to the others.
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic