OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Favorite Brand of Firearms.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Brand of Firearms.....
    Posted: December/08/2007 at 11:24
OK everyone answered as to their favorite chamberings and calibers, now lets hear what are your favorite firearms and action styles. Give some reasons if possible so this can be a learning thread as well as a favorites topic. I'll start......

I started out using a pre 64 model seventy bolt rifle, after one year I switched to a lever action 99 savage, liked the balance and fast second shot on northern whitetail hunting. Carried one for 35 years with good results and it resides in the gun cabinet now with the savage 99 my Dad carried for over 50 years. In 1994 I acquired a savage 110 bolt action, one of the cheap package guns in 243, it started a love affair with savage bolts thats still going strong 13 years later. First I like the ease of working on them and doing your own custom rifles without the custom pricetag, second I like the interchangability factor with simple inexpensive tools, lastly I've come to love the accuracy level available with some simple tweaks. I can change and headspace barrels in 20 minutes right in my gunroom, I can have different caliber barrels for the same gun and change back and forth in no time. I can change bolt faces in a half hour from small to large to magnum calibers. The triggers are easy to change out or tweak in the case of the accutrigger. Ready to screw on barrels,triggers,recoil lugs,and stocks are all available on the aftermarket and easy to install yourself. The floating bolt head eliminates the need for lug lapping and they have the fastest lock time of any bolt action. I set the goal of each gun shooting 1/2" 100yd groups or changing parts until it did, I'm three guns built with goal achieved and three more to build. I even use a smokeless savage ML'er that is a joy to shoot and clean. They are tube style actions so bedding is pretty easy to do around the pillars. The new inline feed with crf cut away bolt face on some magnum and short mag models make feeding the fat cases and AIed;s pretty nice also. If I sound like a savage advertisement its cause I really like these rifles, and being able to do all my own gunsmithing work but barrel crowning. An employee owned company that has really turned around their product and remained very user friendly. Now how about you guys, lets hear about your favorite and most cherished long guns.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 11:47
i'm a pretty simple guy

i'll take a remmy 700, an AR, and a 1911, all or which are easy to work on, and build, the way ya want them to be.

Edited by sinsir - December/08/2007 at 12:01
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 11:49
rem 700 need i say more?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 12:48
i love my 700's no quams with ya there
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 12:54
I am more inclined to go for the rifle concept rather than favor any particular action. With that said, my 1st choice for a rifle is the one I own..........The Ruger M77, MK2 Frontier compact 300 WSM, with its shorter 16.5" barrel. Why?.... It`s lighter, more compact, very easy to carry and pack, quicker handling or to manuever, is extremely quick to shoulder (shorter LOP) and very fast to acquire the target! You can use a conventionally mounted scope or a scout scope (I use both)! When I hunt, I can carry this rifle by the pistol grip, arms at my side with the muzzle pointed to the ground and not even come close to touching the ground!!..........With only a loss of approx. 4.5% in total velocity vs. the 24" 300 WSM`s, as my reload chrono results have shown, this little rifle`s ballistics well exceed the 30-06 from the longer 22" & 24" barrels and is very accurate! Performance loss with the shorter barrel is not enough for any concern. This little package will do anything, on any game, at any range just like the big boys! Long range plains, closer in brush, whatever the terrain condition, whatever the game, this compact will handle it and is ideal for me!.........................................Since I prefer the compacts and not stopping there, my soon to purchase rifle in `08, will be the 375 Ruger Alaskan with its 20" barrel, which  duplicates the 375 H&H ballistics from the longer barrel. The same reasons for ownership that apply to the Ruger 300 WSM Frontier, also applies perfectly to the Alaskan .375; a more compact, a real rough it rifle, for any weather and under any possible conditions type of rifle!...............Those two are my favorites! Great job Ruger!!!   
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 15:49
To me a bolt, is a bolt, is a bolt action, and some are better than others, and not being a caliber whore---but autos, now there is a question. Now take one of the best actions of all time a give it to a bunch of people to make it who take shooting things seriously, and what a gun. Talking about Galils  of course, 1 in groups with iron sites, and thats not just 3 or 5 rd groups. thats strings of 100 rds. But just as the impression of that 2 stage trigger comes into mind,  the world of FN FAL's and all their variants. One of the smoothest actions every built and the machined G3's shiiiiiiiiiiiit. Got a heavy barreled when Century was closing them out 15 years ago and still one of my favorite.
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 19:01

I have had the pleasure to shoot a galils rifle before, (never owned one ) and it was a champ, held good groups, no malfunctions ect ect … but the question that I have is – why is it that every time I watch the news, I see IDF soldiers, carrying m-16’s / m4’s ..? Typically my understanding was that the IDF use what is the best, in the notion that reliability, and function are key factors, not cash or politics. If the latter statement is true, then they have decided that the m-4/m-16 is a better weapon? Or is it a political type decision based on the price per unit?

Personally I love the ergonomics, ease of maintenance, the ability to customize for specific needs, along with the form and function of an AR/m-16/m-4  type rifle system. I love my bolt gun, but as far as auto’s go; I’d be hard pressed to give up the AR platform, call me silly, but i like it more so then an AK, or even dare i say ... an hk91..although i have never had one of those jam,misfeed, or screw up either ...sure the AR has it's quirks, but i still love it.

What do you guys think about the piston type gas systems that I’ve seen on the HK’s and bushmaster’s new lineup? Anyone shoot one yet? It would seem to me that they molded the form and function of an AR type rifle, with the AK’s gas system, which should cause significantly less fouling (and all the related issues that are caused) back into the receiver. Would more moving parts cause the accuracy to diminish any? Cause a higher probability of mechanical failures ect ect ..? Although I’ve never known a gas piston to break or wear out …. Just my thoughts, what are yours ?

Edited by sinsir - December/08/2007 at 20:26
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 19:48
rem700 Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 20:58
Weatherby MKV ,,guaranteed accuracy ,,, Haven't met anyone that has one that doesn't trust  it to perform as advertised
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 11:00

IDF decision is all about politics, it all came about when IMI was banned importation into the US, because the guns were out selling Quality parts-- (later to become known as bushmaster, later to go with remington. orginal company was BFI and if you know anything about organized labor......).

piston guns originated with the FAL's about the time SKS came into existence. and were refined in the Korean Daewoo, which is a better gun than AR's, but agained banned from import. Fal and sks are different in being a falling block lock up rather than a rotating bolt and the headspace is set by the thickness of the cross bolt pressed into the receiver.agree cetmes are a pos what I meant by G3 where a very few FAL that were hand build by Browning in belgium and have the G3 prefix in the serial numbers. Last check they were going for about 8k.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 11:39
I'm an M700 fan, have a bunch.
I would never get rid of my AR, it is an early HBAR A2. Never a jam......ever
Regarding the gas piston on the M16. I have had my HK-91 for over twenty five years and it is recoil operated. The former Mauser engineers saw fit to send spent gasses into the chamber to aid in extraction, witness the burn marks on all the brass where the gas flutes are. Now HK gets all this press for removing gas fouling in the M16 by eliminating gas from the chamber. So, Stoner was a loser if you read some B.S over a AR-15 forums.....yeah, right.
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 17:10
thankx for the info guys, i figured that the IDF switch up must have had politics involved, although i figured it was because of the amount of aid, ie..cheep guns ect ect ect .. i will say though i've never had a prob with my AR, no failures to feed, no jams ect ect ..but then again, i've never used on under combat conditions either, she's no safe queen, but only has range time. so  why does HK get the credit ? because there HK, and they get the press?

i'm with you tahqua, love the 700, wont give up the ar either,

Edited by sinsir - December/09/2007 at 17:35
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2007 at 22:14

Fav's are :

Colt Match Target AR15
Tikka 695 30-06
Win 88 308
Steyr STG 58  ( FAL )
Have lots of others, these just mean the most to me, or give the best service.
Derek
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 05:03
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

Weatherby MKV ,,guaranteed accuracy ,,, Haven't met anyone that has one that doesn't trust  it to perform as advertised
Thats my favorite.  I have taken them down and re-stocked them and the quality of the parts used are fantastic.  The bolt is smooth as silk and the stock trigger is just fine for me.  I have never had a problem with any I have owned.  I posted on another thread, the only problem I have sighting in a pencil barreled model, but that would be the same problem with any pencil barreled magnum.  I love the Rem. 700 and the Savages, especially the Varminter rifles and I have a great affinity for the Ruger 77s.  Pistol, in an auto, you cannot beat a Glock for reliability and for revolvers, what can I say, Ruger all the way.  Cowboy action pistols, Uberti does it right and Taylor for the conversions from the ball and cap models to centerfire.  You know, when it comes to bolt actions rifle, I love Mausers too.  Really, when I think about it, I may love my Wbys., but I love them all, otherwise, I would not have purchased them.  OK, I love bolt action rifles.

Edited by Dolphin - December/10/2007 at 05:04
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 06:56
I don't think I could pick just one favorite, because all actions have 1 or 2 features I really like.  If forced, I would have to acknowledge the Rem M700 is probably the gold standard of simple, timeless, well-designed bolt actions ever created.  It doesn't have the collector value or cache of some other makes/models, but it's simple, cleverly designed, inherently safe and strong, and easy to accessorize and modify.  They are also usually accurate.

Having said that, I also really like Kimber's trim little version of the Mauser style action, and I have a soft spot in my heart for well-executed controlled round feed Mauser style actions in general.  I'm also rather fond of the Sauer 200/202 rifles from a design standpoint, and I love Sako rifles in general, at least those wearing wood stocks.  Then again, I sure do love a beautifully proportioned classic falling block single shot like the Dakota M10, but one of those isn't in the budget for the forseeable future.

I'm kinda in the same boat as Dolphin.  I would hate to be forced to own just one rifle!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 07:30
Ditto with RifleDude.  My favourite depends on what I am using it for.  Love my old ruger carbine when I'm driving deer and need to be able to shoot quickly at a moving target.  My Husqvarna 6.5x55 is probably the most accurate rifle I have and is great for varmints/coyote etc., very smooth bolt.  My M77 in 7 Rem mag is also a great rifle.  Love my levers for the easy carrying they & quick handling they afford.  If absolutely forced to pick one would probably go with the Husqvarna.  It would let me hunt varmints to moose.
God save the Empire!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 08:58
God forbid I ever have to pick just one!  But if I did, I would have to go with the BAR.  They are just a pleasure to shoot.  As I've aged (43) I have developed a little aversion to recoil.  Now this is mostly noticed at the range, not on game.  I absolutely love the 30-06, but was having issues with getting it sighted in.  The BAR took care of that.  So I picked up a .243 and a .308.  As a side note, I don't consider the semi-auto's fast rate of fire a major advantage as far as big game goes.  Most of my kills have come with the first shot.

For the smaller rounds, like a .223, my vote is for the Rem 700 BDL.  I love to just pick that thing up and shoulder it.   I do it as often as I can which is good practice too!

There is also a special place in my heart for the Savage 99.  I have several and they are fun to collect and shoot.  The 300 and the 250 are excellent on deer at moderate ranges.

For shotguns.......... semi-auto...again I prefer Browning, gas operated Gold!  In this case, I do consider the fast rate of fire a major advantage.
take em!
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 12:02
My Remington model 700 mountain rifle (30-06) ! I love you baby!  If you had a *&#%%! I would $%*@ you.Love
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 13:25
Give me a Wby., Rem. 700, Savage Varminter, Ruger 77, Kimber Montana, Ed Brown, Cooper, Marlin 336, Dakota, Ruger 1, Steyr, Husqvarna, Parker Hale, H-S Precision, Wby. Vanguard/Howa, JP Sauer, Blaser, oh never mind, just give me one of each and I would be a happy man even if I owned just one of each.  Oh, I forgot a Mauser 03, etc.

Edited by Dolphin - December/10/2007 at 13:26
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 20:49
Hard to pick just one. I have three, Sako 75 in 6.5X55, Steyr in 6.5X57 and a pre-64 in 300 H&H. Never really been a Remington fan but just bought the wife a model seven in 7mm-08 it is a really nice firearm. A youth model and perfectley porportioned for her.  She got her deer this year with the rifle and could not be happier. Weights about three pounds less than her old Winchester model 70 XTR 243. Never could get that rifle to shoot well. Best about 1.75" even with hand loads. The Steyr will shoot literately anything under 2" less than 1/2" with 4 different powders.  The Sako is an old favorite, loads it likes 1/2" or less. The 300 H&H was willed to me and is the same vintage as I am. With loads it likes under 1".

Ron  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic