OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ZOS LR scopes?????????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 10:40
Hopefully all Chinese troops will be equipped with ZOS scopes and rings on their wonderful new assault rifle - http://www.strategypage.com/military_photos/qbz-95.aspx
panther308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panther308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 11:05
OK, where were we. 

Yeah.  So the scope was now mounted and I had my ammo ready.    Bore sighted it to get myself into the ball park with the shot.

Honestly, before I started shooting, I thought that the scope won't be able to hold up to the recoil of the .308. 
So I started shooting.  Got the thing sighted in.  After some time the thing was dead on (was shooting 100m sighting target).
After I sighted the scope in, I continued to use it.  I did not do a drop shock test to see if it still holds zero, but it did get a decent bump a couple of times.  Each time the zero was just where I left it.    The only adjustments I had to make were to windage at that distance.

I have shot it now for about 8 months.  I have not had any issues with it at all.  The reticle, glass, etc, all hold well.
A friend of mine is a Leupold snob.  I told him about what I obtained.  He laughed it off saying it will break the first time I use it.  Then we went shooting.  I let him shoot with it and he was very pleasantly surprised at what it was for the price.

The scope gathers light well.  This ability decreases somewhat when magnification is maxed out at 40.  The image is not as clear as it should be.  The Leupold Mark IV I compared it with did have a cleared image at max magnification (although the Leupold did not have a x40 magnification on it).  When I use it at x30, or even at x34/36, I still have no issues.  It was only at the x40.

In late December I found out that the same scope mfg has now offered the mil dot version of the scope.  So I ended up selling mine, and I got another one (same but in mil dot style reticle).  After I got it, checked out the reticle, and all the other things I did with the older scope and all was same (still nice and presentable).
Sighted it without issues as well.   With both scopes, I can get a 7 shot string into the size of a dime.  I have had this result pretty consistently now.  So I can say the scope, once sighted it, did serve as desired.

I cant wait to try the mil dot on longer distances.  One thing I noticed is that the mil dot version of scope did come with instructions for the 30/30 reticle.  There are no instructions on what magnification the mil dot should be used at.  There is an elevated thumb push like on the zoom ring (at the x11 magnification).  I assume just as someone else that chimed in here, that this is the mag to do it at...will find out this weekend I think (going to do some 1000m shooting).

So other than the typical lack of good instructions (as pretty much any other China made things are), this thing was working just as I hoped it would.  I was happy to have a use for it, since it did save me quite a bit of money, and my Leupold snob friend wants to try it out sometimes again.

This is what my experience with the ZOS scope has been.  I have not had any issues.  Function was great.  Although I do know the quality is not as perfect at the $1500-2000 scopes, it does the job I want it to (ranging/targeting).  It will ultimately be up to you whether or not you want to try it.  If you do, a set of fings or a mount is a MUST (if you do not believe - the experience someone else relayed about the included rings will happen to you too).

Hope this answers some people's questions. 
Take care.
panther308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panther308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 11:08
lol...

Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Hopefully all Chinese troops will be equipped with ZOS scopes and rings on their wonderful new assault rifle - http://www.strategypage.com/military_photos/qbz-95.aspx
mike4764 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike4764 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 17:57
Cheaper scopes may look and work well for some situations(not many) but for people that use the scopes the way they were designed they most always fail. Take it out and run the elevation all the way up and down a few dozen times and see if it goes back to where it should. Also put a clean paper target and a ruler at 100 yards and see if 1 click is realy 1/8"
Do a box test. Your review is nice but these tests are what count. I could care less how my scope looks as long as it works
1kittom View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1kittom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2009 at 22:24
I was on the firing range today and saw first hand a ZOS scope mounted on a Browning 7mag. Owner was firing remington 7m 175grain core-loc..

I was beside the shooter with the same rifle using the same bullet ($26 a box) but the scope I use is the ZeissConquest  4.5 14x44 rapid-Z 800..

of course we had to do the look and see and then we got down to firing... 100 yards, then 200 yards then at 300 yard.

The shooter (say Ken) had his range card out and made all the adjustments necessary for a sure tight shot group. His 12 year old son was with him. Firing line was clear, son picked up Ken's rifle and it slipped through the youths hands and dropped flat. A big thud was heard.. Ken with out a blimp said no problem son, and layed the rifle back down and we proceeded to check the targets..

At 100yards his shot group was dead center quarter ring; my shot group was dead center 2x2 with one outside black center mark..

Coming back on line with the range hot, Ken reshot at 100yards, results were the same. no change.
At 200 yards, I must say I was very impressed with the optics of his 40x60. the sight picture was clear crips and provided excellant eye relief.. In fact, as hard as it is to say, the over all down range clarity was better than my Zeiss 800z at a mear fraction of the cost.

At 200 yards, Kens shot group was never dead center and was low to the right about the size of a half dollar.. he made several adjustments but could never get it under a half dollar shot group and was consistant low to the right...

At 300 yards this is were the Zeiss took over, the rapid Z held true with the shot group as it did at 100yards with a slight adjustment to the left I compensated for the 100yards shot group and went dead center with an excellant 2x2 and one shot touching black ring.

Ken never made center at 300 yards and had a consistant shot group 5 square low to the right.

All said,
If looking for a scope under $300 that will give a solid preformance under say (shooting- house) conditions, my view is the ZOS 40x60 is a heck of a scope for the up to 250 yard shot.. It maybe as good for the 300 yard shot as well, but it was not my rifle nor scope so I did not fire Ken's rifle.
The optics performance was and is extremely impressive even up against my Burris Blackdiamond and Leop. GoldSeries.
Mounts, Ken did say he purchased Lepo mounts and threw the originals away..
ghce View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 05:11
Originally posted by panther308 panther308 wrote:

I wanted to chime in on this one, since I have had the opportunity to shoot with the ZOS scope.  Please keep in mind these are my opinions. 

Here it is:

Purchased the 10-40x60 SF Tactical IR Scope from ZOS.  It was the 30mm tube scope.  It was about 8 months ago now.  The scope was not available in mil dot, only in the european ranging reticle flavor.  I thought, hey, pay $170 for it, worst you are out 170.

Ordered it from China.  Came within 4 business days (lightning quick). 

Where abouts did you order it from? do you have contact details or a link?

Graeme
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 06:11
Please don't post links to other optics vendors on this site, as directed by Rules Of Engagement #3.

3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.
ghce View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 16:00
oops, thanks for that Smile

Graeme
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 16:18
Originally posted by ghce ghce wrote:

oops, thanks for that Smile

Graeme

No problem.  
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 18:05
I'm in he market for a Howa rifle, some come as a package deal I do not want to spend the extra $100.00 on the scope package. But if I find the caliber I want and it comes that way I will dismount that Nikko take it to the range and put a bullet right down the center of it.  That's how good they are  Shocked      ...IMO ........  don't take this offensively ....Wink

Edited by rifle looney - March/07/2009 at 21:57
nagantino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nagantino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2009 at 06:35
I know this is an old thread but I have just come across it. I am a new member so high everybody.
I own a ZOS 3-32x42 scope. It cost £112 delivered form England. I live in Ireland. What can I tell you? Its mounted onto a CZ550 Varmint Laminate in .308. I bought it about 3 years ago after reading a review in Target rifle magazine. The review was very positive which encouraged me to buy. I still have the review somewhere. The scope performs very well and has been something of a revalation to me and others. Why is it so cheap? How can the Chinese make such an item for this price and still make a profit? Beats me, but I know I got a great item that works.
The clarity of the optics is better at the lower magnifications but I think that goes for most scopes. I usually have it set at 20 and can get by at that. I am very happy with the Zos. Each time I take it to the range I do ask "how come its so cheap",when will it fall apart". 2 weeks ago my kit performed just as well as my partner who was using A Swavrovski.

223rob224 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 223rob224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 16:40
I own one of these too, and it works very well, dont worry about the price, hell i won matches at provincial champion shoots with a tasco go figure, it is not always how much it cost just the good guy behind the rifle
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 21:20
Anyone else notice how its all guys  --- out of country --- who love it  Whistling and the boys from Texas who actually know guns and scopes think its crap.   Guess it all depends on what you compare it too - next to a toilet paper roll core with a piece of celophane it probably looks good, but I wont be buying one so long as there are some 3-9 tascos left.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 22:08

I bought one of these at the beginning of this thread... Bought a ZOS / XD Optics 10-40 with a reticle as shown below... at 10x It is a decent scope at 16 it is a very different picture at 20 and 24 and 30 and 32 and 40 you might as well be looking through fog with tunnel vision in my opinion... Again at 10 to say 14 maybe even 16 it wasn't horrible It looked clean and had decent contrast and the color fringing wasn't horrible... The construction is certainly sturdy but the machine marks were rough and unpolished...

I would argue that I do not see it falling apart... The rings that come with it were the worst things I have ever seen packaged or unpackaged they were so malleable you could twist them with your bare hands the screws were so weak you could take the palm of your hand with a flat blade screwdriver and break them in two the threads you could strip with your index finger and thumb...

With Burris XTR rings and a flat mount the zero held 10x -16x after that the eye relief was not even worth working out I have had many many many hours behind great...good...not so good... designs and I might say this is in the bottom tier...

At 30x+/ it was so narrow and so hard to keep straight I feel that an inexperienced shooter would look like a person listening to a Michael Jackson song... The side to side head and the chin bobs and the shoulder rolls and the such...

I can speak truthfully and say that this scope is a tank and the turrets are positive and repeatable they are 1/8" as they state at the range of 10x-say 15x maybe even 20x (22-24x RETICLE...I believe they could be true all the way to 40X but the is less than 40M... The Parallax adjustment was within +-.02... at the Advertised MIL-Y-TAC system was accurate at the 22x and did perform decently with SS109 62gr as advertised but was painful to look through and I was unable to make out clear holes at the 200 and 300 that I can with my a lesser magnified scope.  The Y-TAC system is interesting and does work in theory and on this scope but It is not as handy as the MIL-DOT system...The etchings were uneven one side was more pronounced than the other and the illumination was very inconsistent in brightness or power factors red/green both seemed to be off the lowest setting was still to bright for me with both the red and green...

I did this just to stop a friend buying one and will not even give it to him...

I am by no means saying that this will find its way on anything I will use except a plinker...

I will put at least a few thousand rounds through this (or will let my friends) before I will even think that it is ok inside...

I think that this glass is not even close to the Nikon or Vortex Middle of the road product... Would be close to a Leupold Rifleman or a base Tasco or base Weaver...

The range of 10-40 is more than obsurd... think of it as a vary large 10x fixed or 12x fixed and variable to at the highest 16-18 with exponential loss after that...

It did hold zero and could shoot the box and the X it tracked decently through 16x so I have to think that it could past that but will not testify to it...

I would like to state that the optics at 20x do not come close to any other scope that I have in my possesion or have ever looked through...at 30x and 40x they are very very very very very diminshed...including an old base Weaver... 

I am very spoiled so to speak... I believe at 10x your picture should only be 1/2 as bad at 20x and 1/2 more at 40x... This scope goes from 10x to 12x and 14x with the same results... for instance MARK IV 8.5-25 leupold the 23/24/25 are the start of this scope at 10x (maybe...) that might sound confusing... I will try to make it simple 10x is the base at 20x this is at least 3 times as darker and diminished. at 30x at least 4 times at 40x at least 5 times as bad...

I will say that if you spend 100-150 as I did you might get a scope that is worth just that but you will in no way have a scope that is worth looking through past 20x and you might as well spend $100 more and get a scope that will be 3 or 4 times as clear and bright and proven...  No real suggestions on what scope that would be.

I had to do this for myself... the idea this scope could be close to a Zeiss was just to unrealistic and as I see it was in no way close to any scope above those mentioned above...

I would never say this is a horrible piece of crap but I will never say it is a in line with anything that I would suggest to a friend- this is perfect for the Manufacturing Company Country...The rings are a clear indication of what they think of US...                                                                             the lowest quality rings that could be produced... they were the ones on the right side...

If you are inquring about a Nikko when you are searching and find this thread PM me and I will share with you my experience.. I endorse the Nikko Stirlings if it is the Night Eater on up to the Diamond...

I will argue with certainty that the reports of 30x plus clarity are pretty skewed if you have looked through top end glass or even anything over say $500-600+....

I am in no way trying to make this personal but 30x is horrible and 40x is ugly...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - May/09/2010 at 23:01
No one
baldur80 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldur80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 15:44
Hello I´m new here

Well got to put a finall end on this discussion,

I have a ZOS 10-40x60 Tactical scope that is working grate for me.

i didd alot of research before i bought it, and I found out that the Chineese army uses it,

i think that says all needs to be said. !!!!!!!!!!!!

baldur80 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldur80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 15:47

but who knows if they still using these Zos ? correct me if i´m wrong. maybe i am but at least to the best of my knowledge i´m right about the chineese army using it

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 16:07
Originally posted by baldur80 baldur80 wrote:

Hello I´m new here

i didd alot of research before i bought it, and I found out that the Chineese army uses it,

I think it is a good thing for our soldiers that Chinese army uses it.

ILya
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 16:17
maybe we should send them some counter snipers tooWink
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 22:28
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by baldur80 baldur80 wrote:

Hello I´m new here

I think it is a good thing for our soldiers that Chinese army uses it.

ILya
Laugh
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
HOLLOWPOINT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLLOWPOINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 12:49
Have mercy with those ice-boys!

They are so broke, they can't afford any real riflescopes.

Really Sad
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. Thomas Paine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic