OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weatherby Vanguard VGL Q&A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 18:28
Quote just to make sure there wasn't some leprechaun wrinkling the paper or something.

OK now I'm starting to chuckle a little....He He Getting desperate are we?

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 18:29
After I get back from the sim, I will take some pics of the crown.  It's worn, yes, but nothing too drastic methinks.  Maybe a lighter bullet?  That 69 is probably a little heavy.  I don't know what the twist is on the rifle, but it's totally factory from weatherby which is to say from Howa. (I understand they made the rifle for wby during that time).  That trade is looking like a bad idea...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 18:31
im sure its going to be a 1:12 twist course ive been wrong before
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 18:32
Naw its a good shooter just probably got a 1 in 12 twist. The bullets are probably too heavy....or maybe he used the barrel for a pry bar with an old screwdriver stuck down the bore for leverage. Sorry, having some fun with ya before you discover its really a good shooter. 1 in 12 usually won't stablize a 69 grain bullet, but it was fun watching ya melt down

Focus

Edited by Focus - December/07/2007 at 18:34

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 18:37
yeah for that duty your looking at something more like a 1:9 or a 1:10
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Skunk View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 18:42
Ahhh.....so the fly spec boy is shooting zee bullets sideways. Take off the gun zee scope and tap crown, won't fix but make lovely divets in scope on end Clap Skunk will teach to shoot and not annoy brother.
Let me give you my two scents worth
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 18:44
I hope yall are right...  I'll pick up a box of 50s or 55s or something similar tomorrow.  i was melting down...  Still might go critical if the lighter bullet doesn't solve it! 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 18:50
rest easy my friend most and i mean most of the gun manufacturers that mass produce guns which wby/howa would be included in this use the 1:12 in a lot of .224 caliber rifles this would include the .223 you are currently fretting about, my 22-250 is a 1:12 too and it wont shoot a 60 gr bullet for sh*t, 55 and less are great
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 18:52
It says 1:12 on the weatherby website, so unless they made them differently 10 years ago, i will assume that it's the same on that rifle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 19:01
i know i was already there to make sure i wasnt telling you bad info cause like i said most .224 cal rifles are going to be 1:12 twist
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 19:02
Actually I believe it will shoot pretty darn good. It didn't shoot the wrong bullets weights half bad. I would look for some tight groups with some 50's or 55's. Good Luck

Focus

flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2007 at 17:27
Problem solved!!!

It's hard to see the writing, but the upper right group of 5 ROUND holes is remington 55 gr. FMJ.  The very nice, if I do say so myself, middle group is a 3-shot, one-hole group of 40 gr hornady AMAX.  I meant to put a dime in the pic for reference for you micrometer types, but one hole is only .223, so pull out a set of dividers if you're so inclined and tell me what that measures! Big%20Smile  Anyhow, long paragraph to say THANKS to you guys for your help.  Glad it worked out.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2007 at 18:32
your welcome i knew we could fix you!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic