OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10X42 vortex vipers or Minox BD10X44 BP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10X42 vortex vipers or Minox BD10X44 BP
    Posted: December/05/2007 at 15:48
Looking for a pair of mid priced hunting binocs. have narrowed it down to either the roof 10X42 vortex vipers or porro Minox  BD10X44 BP's they appear to be within $10 of each other ($489 versus $479) pricewise. I haven't read much about the minox, but I know that for the same $ porro usually beats roof so I am interested. I won't get the chance to look thru these glasses before I purchase.

I live in New Zealand and we have no hunting hour restrictions so low light performance is very important. I am often glassing for deer at considerable distance. At times I am looking for them in brownish greenish shrubbery, they blend in extremely well and sometimes it is only movement that gives them away.

Any other bino choices I should also be considering under US $500?

Thanks in advance

John
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 16:38
Light transmission to your eyes from the Minox BD 10x44 BP porro prism is 94.5%.
The only other porro that is higher is the Fujinon 10x50mm FMT-SX with 95%+ light transmission to your eyes.
The Fujinon is much heavier, more expensive, and has Individual Focus rather than Center Focus.

I almost purchased the Minox BD 8x44 BP, very bright, very clear, and very sharp. 

My only complaint was the "combination" of the focusing wheel and the diopter adjustment.  My finger and thumb was too crowded when trying to make the necessary adjustments, and it also threw the foucs off because there was not enough room to maneuver easily.  However, I believe that once it is set for your eyes you won't have to bother with it after that.  (because I am constantly using my binoculars at different distances, from very far to very close up, I am always  tweaking the focusing wheel and the diopter adjustment for my astigmatisms)

Also, because of the pronounced 3D effect of the Minox, it should be somewhat easier to distinguish the deer among the shrubbery, unless it's too dark. 

A 10x "roof" prism has less depth of focus, and trees and branches have a way of all blending together.

I talked with Vortex about the light transmission on the Viper and was told that the information was not available.

The Nikon Premier SE 10x42mm porro prism is another excellent binocular for low light, but it is much more expensive.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/05/2007 at 21:03
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 16:44
Thank you birdwatcher, have you looked through the vipers and if so what did you think? which of the two would you buy?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 16:52
Not many stores carry the Vortex binocular product line, in any real quantity, in my local area.  I have looked through the Razors, but that was some time ago.  I would have to special order the Vipers to have a look through them.  From other reviews I have seen the Vipers are close, but not as bright as the Razors.

Generally speaking a roof prism of high quality will give you around 90 to 92% light transmission.  The Minox HG 10x43mmBR aspheric offers 92% light transmission to your eyes. 

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/05/2007 at 17:04
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 17:00
To answer your question, I would go with a high quality porro prism because there is less light loss overall.

I also prefer the 3D effect of a porro, which can only be duplicated, to some degree, by going to a lower magnification in a "roof" prism, such as 6x or 7x.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/05/2007 at 21:05
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 17:12
thank you again birdwatcher. One last question, what other binoculars would you consider in this price range (under $US500)?

cheers

John
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 17:20
Not much comes to mind in a porro prism.
Perhaps a Leupold Pinnacles 10x42 roof prism.

The IOR is a very good binocular but it is also Individual Focus

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/05/2007 at 17:27
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 18:41
Five years ago Minox was a part of Leica.  Ten years ago Minox was a part of Leica, ect. Minox has been around since before WWII.  They have been at the higher end of things since formation. 

Who is vortex? How do they hold thier value?  I am not saying anything bad about  them, but there is a lot of stuff on the market from people I've never heard from. YMMV
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 18:58
http://www.vortexoptics.com/
Take a look for yourself.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 08:39
Vortex has only been around a short time, but that's not necessarily good or bad; they just don't have any history.  I've never seen one of the products, but their reputation is good, so far.  Do they offer anything that wasn't availble from another manufacturer?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 12:14
http://www.vortexoptics.com/news_items#

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/06/2007 at 12:16
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 14:54
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/news_items#

Ya, so what? I just spent the last half hour running through the Middleton Wi chamber of commerce directory.  They ain't no Vortex listed...Ouch  Now, from the address listed on the web site there is a competitor who sells binos and this seems to be their house brand.  They have the same address. 

This does not mean that there is anything bad about either one.  Bird watcher it takes a bit more than a website to impress me.  
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 16:01
Quote silver 
Ya, so what?  Bird watcher it takes a bit more than a website to impress me.  

That makes two of us!
If you are "really" interested in looking through the Vortex binoculars, to find out for yourself their level of quality, I'm sure you will do something more than just have an attitude.
I wasn't trying to impress you, just pointing you in a direction where you could do your own browsing/reading.Ouch 

"It takes no more time to see the good side of life than it takes to see the bad".
Jimmy Buffett

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/06/2007 at 16:51
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 14:40

Vortex and the "competitor" are owned bu the same people.  I was at the facility.  Very knowledgable staff and best warranty bar none.  They said simply, you break it, we replace it.  The Viper is very nice.  I did not purchase at that time because I got a pr of Fujinon CDs at close out steal of 209. 

Vortex and better made in Japan, lower models made in China. 

robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 14:43
To correct:

I said Vortex and better made in Japan, Lower made in China.

Meant to say:  The VIPER and better made in Japan.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 23:49
My Viper 10x42  is a superb hunting binocular.  The depth of field is outstanding for a roof of any price.  Once you adjust the diopter you nearly do not have to use the focus.  They are better in that regard than any IF binocular I have used.  I have yet to wish that I had spent more money for a top end alpha brand binocular.  The Vipers are a good fit ergonomically for me and they are light enough to pack around all day.  Unless you really like the different feel of the porro, get the Viper.

Steve
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic