OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My new blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new blog
    Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:02
I was kicking around some ideas about starting a blog pertaining to optics.  I want to do more detailed reviews in the future along with a better organized learning base.  I've been writing a lot of stuff pertaining to sporting optics over the last few years and I am trying to come up with a better way to organize the information, so that it does not get buried in a forum.  I have no interest in running a public forum, so I am still working on the details of what I want to do with it.

In the meantime, I started a blog on more general subjects:

http://www.kitchentabletopics.com

Feel free to comment.  If you want to contribute to the blog, let me know and I can add you as a guest author.

ILya
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:16
Excellent, I favorited it and I'll visit just to see what you're up to. Interesting charicature by the way.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 19:18
Me too.  You proabably noticed.  I am a tea fan myself!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 19:22
Thanks for the comment flyspy.

Tea is probably not going to be a major topic, but I thought I'd make a couple of posts on it.

If you can think of anyone else who may be interested, forward the link along. 

The person who posts as "corkie the dog" did a lot of legal research on the 2nd amendment, and will be posting some interesting (and probably pretty deep) stuff.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - December/04/2007 at 19:22
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 19:39
Whats this?!?!?!?!
The Dark Lord starts a blog and he wants to talk about...TEA?!?!?!?!?

Judas Priest on a bicycle!! No favorite evil potions, bat wing recipes, incantation proceedures??
Wink

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 19:52
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Whats this?!?!?!?!

Judas Priest on a bicycle!! No favorite evil potions, bat wing recipes, incantation proceedures??
Wink

Soon enough.

I am just trying to lure people in with something nice and benign Evil%20Smile

ILya
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 19:52
I agree cheap.  i thought I was going to have to pass some sort of physics problem "entrance exam" or optical theory SAT just to enter, but he's gracious enough to even let us commoners and groundlings in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 20:01
Ah yes, the old "spider and the fly" tactic....Smile

Good looking blog, koshkin.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 20:08
I figured I'll use this blog to learn how to operate one.  If I like it, I'll do something more serious with it.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 07:15
Thanks for the info, your evilness.  I'll be sure to check it out!   You're not planning to launch some evil, subliminal "dark side of the force" mind tricks, causing people to suddenly and inexplicably have the urge to torture bunnies after entering your site, are you?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 07:45
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Whats this?!?!?!?!

Wink

yeah there had better be some russian chanting going on in the background for gods sake otherwise what good is the blog of the dark lord?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 08:54
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Thanks for the info, your evilness.  I'll be sure to check it out!   You're not planning to launch some evil, subliminal "dark side of the force" mind tricks, causing people to suddenly and inexplicably have the urge to torture bunnies after entering your site, are you?

Well, I was originally, but now that I have been figured out, I'll just have to come up with something more subtle.

ILya
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 11:44
naw, We know to expect something, so just go ahead and give it your evil best.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 12:11
Nice blog, I like it, ILya...................bookmarked for sure

Doug
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 12:34
Thank You, gentlemen.  I'll write some stuff myself, and I'll try to drag a few other people into this who have interesting perspectives on things.  If nothing else, I'll learn to write better in the process.  If anyone here is interesting in contributing, let me know.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 09:21
I think Corkie the Dog is right on with his D.C./Supreme Court post todayThumbs%20Up
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 09:29
hey ilya is there anything you need me to talk about??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 09:48
Tahqua, corkie the dog will be digging pretty deep into the DC court case and into the 2nd amendment in general.  I've talked to corkie about this issue quite a bit and I have to admit that corkie knows more about the legal end of it than anyone else I know.  If something does not make sense or you want clarification, or you want more information on something, put it into the comments.  That will help corkie with deciding o what to cover in the next post.

Pyro, it is not about me "needing" anyone to say something.  It is really about whether there is something that you want to say and that you want recorded.  The way I want to run that blog (and really the reason I started it) is more or less in my profile:

About Me

I grew up in Russia. While I am not overly fond of that country, it has certainly left an unmistakable mark on me. One thing that I noticed is that in Russia people would always have these long conversations sitting over a kitchen table with a cup of tea. There is something eminently cozy about kitchens. These conversations went into all sorts of topics: from politics to sports to literature to you-name-it. A lot of my friends have similar backgrounds and I notice that despite having nicely furnished living rooms (we are all middle class professionals now) we still more often than not tend to sit in the kitchen and talk.

What I noticed is that we often have interesting conversations on topics we know something about.  Not just the off-the-wall stuff, but things we have actually looked at and researched to a certain degree.  What I also noticed is that we do not retain all of it in our memories.  When talking to corkie about 2nd amendment, for example.  I retain the gist of it, but not all.  If I want details, I have to search for them again.  If I want a coherent explanation of something, I have to look at a bunch of sources and put the information  together again. 

That is really why I did not make this blog about guns and optics.  I will have something different for that.  Besides, I deal with guns and optics all the time, so I retain that information well.  This blog is about everything else: from tea to 2nd Amendment.  If you have something to add, your contribution is most welcome.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 10:02
Hey Koshkin, (puts bong down) you ever noticed in the center of your "nuke cloud" avatar, that it has what appears to be a mans face in the center?

Kinda looks like Teddy Roosevelt, don't you think??   Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 10:03
Oh....got any more of that California "tea"....Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic