OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hog Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctom54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hog Scope
    Posted: December/04/2007 at 07:53
I need  a scope for my Tikka T3 in .338 Federal.
It will be primarily used for hog hunting in low light conditions.
I want a 1 inch scope with a 4a reticle and objective not greater than 40mm Objective (I have low mounts and like the cheek weld with them).
Something in the $400-$700 range.
Any recommendations?

thanks

Tom
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:13
http://www.swfa.com/pc-4422-227-trijicon-3-9x40-accu-point-rifle-scope.aspx
Trijicon would be my recommendation here. It's not the 4a reticle but it will work very well in this application. WELCOME to the OT.

Edited by cyborg - December/04/2007 at 08:14
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:24
I think cyborg's suggestion of the Trijicon 3-9X40 is an excellent one.  Great uncluttered, fast acquisition low light reticle!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:53
gonna put the hurt on the bacon with that cannon
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 09:00
Cyborg's call is an excellent one IMO.
Zeiss fits your specs, too
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 09:07
Great catch there Tahqua, I had considered IOR but opted to post the Illuminated reticle. Here is the IOR http://www.swfa.com/pc-10175-291-ior-4x32-hunting-rifle-scope.aspx

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 09:09
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

gonna put the hurt on the bacon with that cannon
Skin it, and process it all at the same time. LOL 

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 09:14
hell ya hit right and you wouldnt have to gut it either! bringing home the bacon would be a whole new meaning there
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 09:15
I know you said 4A, but think about the Burris Signature Safari

The taper plex reticle is good for your application
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 09:19
One more vote for Trijicon. Close range only I'd want an Aimpoint dot scope.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 09:21
Don't overlook the Weaver V3. Lot's of hog hunters like 'em. Good dangerous game scope that seems to handle recoil well.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 12:29
You are right in the zeiss conquest spec's and price range. My vote is for the conquest 3x9x40 with the z-plez or #4 reticle. Great value and service and optics that won't be surpassed.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
TLancaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TLancaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 13:42

Bushnell 4200 30mm

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 15:17
Considering you want a 1" scope with good brightness and heavy reticle to use in very low light conditions......along with the 40mm objective to keep it mounted low the conquest is just right there with your wants. We use conquests up north here to shoot coyotes at night with no lights, just moonlight and reflection off the snow. That etched easy to see reticle just makes it easy with very little reflected light.

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 16:36
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

Considering you want a 1" scope with good brightness and heavy reticle to use in very low light conditions......along with the 40mm objective to keep it mounted low the conquest is just right there with your wants. We use conquests up north here to shoot coyotes at night with no lights, just moonlight and reflection off the snow. That etched easy to see reticle just makes it easy with very little reflected light.

Focus

until i moved up here coyote hunting was always done in the day time, now i move up here and its a winter night time event which proves to me that people up here are crazy, they got timber wolves running around and im suppose to sit in the dark with a rabbit call are you kidding me but with the snow on the ground and a full moon with no clouds its actually very bright especially when you sitting in a farm field
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 16:45
Yeah we got bear and bobcats......we aren't admitting to the wolves yet but they've killed and trapped a few by accident. I like the night hunting thing OK except the cold, when its down around zero and the trees are popping like 22"s its hard to sit still long. Smart guys sit in little huts like ice shacks and watch a dead deer or cow, propane heater going and the wind can't hit ya. You really learn what scopes work in low light conditions Stern%20Smile reticles start to get pretty important also.......real fine ones don't show up much at all.

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 16:48
hmm fish house, not a bad idea!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 17:03
Our DNR says we don't have wolves here, that's a crock. Then a friend said that if a number is small enough per square area then they refute the existence. I've seen them here, well one but hey I saw one, and that generally says there are more right? 

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 06:29
Are you sure it wasn't a coyote cyborg?  A large, exceptionally furry coyote sometimes can do an excellent job of imitating a wolf.  I've heard from our game dept. as well that wolves had pretty much been removed from the southern U.S. and are currently only found in the far north.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 11:02
I have seen some big coyotes, this was a wolf, about 90- 100 lbs worth. I got a real close up good look at him, 20 yrds to be exact.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic