OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Too much research.. not enough answers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md-lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too much research.. not enough answers!
    Posted: December/03/2007 at 18:54
I've been working on making a decision now for about 3 weeks.

And I'm not further ahead then where I started!! I have lurked almost all of the major optic sights, and I still don't really know what direction I need to go.

I'm looking for a variable range scope that has an extremely wide range. I would like something as close to 1x as possible on the low end, and 10x+ on the high end.

I'm going to be using the rifle for varmint hunting and target shooting MOSTLY. That is why I want the lower 1x for close range aquisition, and the 10x for longer distances.

I'm hoping to spend around $700-800.

The scope I found that truely meets my needs looks at my budget on the way up, laughs, and continues on up.. On up to over DOUBLE my budget.

What other options are out there? I don't want to go higher then 2x on the low setting, and I want 10x on the high setting. There are a few options out there by burris, nikon, and I think a few more.. But I'm not 100% sold on those scopes.

Any help either suggesting something very similar to the swarovski, or convincing me one way or the other on the burris or nikon?

Thank you VERY much in advance. I've about lost my mind staring at internet page after page.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 18:58
Basically there are few using the new found ability to achieve the 5x magnification, Weaver or redfield one or the other is also doing this. the options are very limited in this area, for now anyways. Oh Welcome to the OT. 

Edited by cyborg - December/03/2007 at 18:59
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:00
so you need something from 2x10 is what your saying
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
md-lucky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md-lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:01
That would be acceptable.

For $700-800.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:04
The only other variable alternative that you have that I can think of is a 2.5 X 10!....That should give you the same capabilities or thereabouts as the 1.7 X 10 Swaro!!..........There are a few quality scopes that variable!!!
md-lucky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md-lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:05
What if I were to compromise the other direction?

1.5/1.75 - 9x?

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:10
Won`t really make that much difference in the field!......A 2.5x10, a 1.5X9, a 1.75 X9. They are all close and will do the same thing. The FOV may vary a little but it wont be a big deal in that dept.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:10
monarch gold sounds good to me
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
md-lucky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md-lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:32
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:33
i like the monarch and the burris but both have issues with there cs dept but for that kind of money you would think they would build a pretty solid scope.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
md-lucky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md-lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:37
Hmm.

Well, they are all the same magnification.

Prices are close enough to be a mute point (at least for me).

Dependability, durability, longetivity, WARRANTY, etc..

Any further thoughts with those variables?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:37
I'll give a vote to the burris.  I have a couple.  A ffII and a Black Diamond.  I really like their scopes.  My black diamond is a heavy scope, but rugged.  Good glass and I like their Bal plex and Bal Mil-dot reticles.  Goods scopes all around.  Nikon would be my second choice.  I think you will like either one.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:40
i have a monarch and a fullfieldII i like both, the nikon has better glass, but its not a huge difference, i dont know about the gold vs black diamond as i havent looked through either, i think either is a solid choice, what kind of hunting are you doing??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
md-lucky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md-lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:44
Thats the problem.

Jack rabbits from 10 yards to 50 yards.

Coyotes from 50 yards to 300 yards.

Really hard to find the right optic for that. I've shot sub moa at 100 yards with a Holosight (think ecotech if your not familiar with them), but I need/want magnification.

Ocassional paper punching duty, distances from 85 yards out to 300 yards again.. Although the local range has targets up to 1000 yards... ;)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:45
but no deer or hogs??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:46
your hunting coyotes and you have to be one of the first people i know of in here to say they wanted a lower power to handle close up coyotes congrats!! it can be scarry when they just appear at 25yds
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
md-lucky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md-lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:50
Not many hogs up here in Ey-D-A-Ho.

Deer? Not likely. If I had a tag and was holding the rifle at that time? Maybe then.

Ground chucks and picketpens will also be game.

I really (and have grown somewhat accustomed to) the quick target aquisition of a 1x optical. Don't get me wrong.. If I wanted to keep the tacti-cool factor high, I would keep the holosight.. But I'm more interested in accuracy.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:52
where at in idaho?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
md-lucky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md-lucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:54
North Idaho - Moscow area.

Originally from Salmon.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 19:56
i went to a basketball camp in moscow the kibby dome is cool, i like that area of idaho, i have a friend of mine who grew up in sugar city
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic