OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.308 in an AR platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .308 in an AR platform
    Posted: December/03/2007 at 16:20

i've been eyeing a .308 in the AR platform. any thoughts on the matter ? how about brands ? the original ar-10 , the fulton armory or dpms versions, an older bushmaster ?

thanks guys
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 17:07
depends on what you going for, serious target shooter, military surplus blaster , fill out your military collections???
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 21:25
Ditto to what dale said.  Depends on what you're going to use it for.  I have the DPMS LR-308 and use it for hunting.  Using FGMM 168gr I get about 3/4" groups at 100yds.  Not bad for an automatic (at least the ones I have shot)!  It throws 150gr SST into about an inch.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 07:43
there is probably more differences between models in a brand than between brands, carbines are easier to carry, some have target triggers etc.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:01
try to get the picture to work
5 shots AR-10T target trigger 650 yds, 168 gr. SMK

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:10
program has got some real quirks

5 head shots other holes are from spray, actuall I was trying to richochet a bullet of the steel and............

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:13
where were you when you were shooting dale?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 17:13

Well guys, it’s a long story so I’ll do my best to keep it short. Mostly I’m a target / range shooter, 2-300 yards depending on the range that I’m at. I do a little bit of hunting, but am only concerned with filling the freezer, and not so much for the sport of it or for how big a buck I can say that I shot.. that being said …. A buddy of mine who owns a nice size farm had a bit of a problem with some Ferrell dogs tearing up some livestock … nuff said.

I figured that the bushmaster .223  (55gr jhp’s) was up to the job of whacking those vile critters, well it did ….kinda… as with any hunting, shot placement is critical,  but after the first shot when the pack scattered 7 ways from Sunday, it was more about “hits” then good shot placement if ya know what I mean … ones I know that I hit ran away, one dragging it’s guts behind it, to be graphically vivid.  So I started to wonder about the effectiveness of my little .223, my solution – punch a bigger hole, with a bit more oomph behind it .. And then the epiphany hit me …. My favorite round .. the little ole .308.

Don’t get me wrong I love my light recoil rock-n-roller bushmaster .223, and won’t give it up.. but I have another  that is modeled after the SPR, in .223 that I was thinking about trading for an ar-10, and wanted to hit ya’ll up for some good advise before leaping off the bridge and giving up a nice piece of equipment.

Mostly the rifle will be used for target shooting, out to the 300 yard mark, I’m not looking for a tack driver, that’s what the bolt gun is for, but I’m thinking that it should hold at least a 3 inch group at that distance, the tighter the better as they say…. Ok, mind out of the gutter guys, I was talking about shooting, not that cute co-eds sweater…lol …  On occasion it may be used for critter killing if they dare come back around, and lastly, it’s my favorite type rifle chambered for my favorite round. So I guess what I’m saying is that I want the same rifle but with a little more punch.

Ok, now throw this into the mix – what about re-barreling the spr type ar to the 6.8 rem ? it’s my understanding that the ballistics are better and that with a barrel change everything else in the .223 AR platform will work without any issues, including the mags, which would save a lot of hard earned cash, that I can spend on a nice piece of glass.  Ya’ll have any thoughts on that ?

Again, thankx

sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 17:19
btw - how do ya post a pic here again ?
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:00
ar10 shoot different than ar15, second shot and more recovery are much slower, 308 much more than 6.8 caliber--- a standard ar eagle will easily hit pop bottles at 300 yds. with no work on the gun, as I'm sure a DPMS. the shorter 20" barrels are much easier to manuever, one thing the lower end guns might need (up to you) new trigger jewel and rra make good replacements, but they run about 120.  If you really like the ar type guns- go 308 you won't go wrong with armalite or DPMS
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:04
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:08

nice rig, this the one you want to keep (I can see why) or change. no ar10 will be as fast or efficient as that set up.

sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:10
this is the one that i want to trade or re-barrel to 6.8 ... honestly i don't want to get rid of it, but there is not enough room in the safe, and it's the only way to afford an ar-10
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:12
Nice rig.  Maybe you should be telling us about AR's. Tongue
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:14
This is the one that I have. (File photo)  I'll post a pic of the actual rifle tomorrow.
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:16
details on this piece - i built it from the lower reciever up.. did all the work myself ..and she shoots like a champ ...double star lower, bushmaster hbar fluted barrel, chip mc cormic drop in trigger, pri front end (carbon fiber) yankee hill bi-pod adapter, badger ordanace tacital latch, NM bolt and carrier, troy industries front sight, arms rear flip up, harris bi-pod, magpul prs rear stock, houge pistol grip, pri full length top rail, milled the front sight to a low profile gas block, phantom 2

Edited by sinsir - December/04/2007 at 18:21
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:17
if you kept this lower and went to 6.8, the upper would run about 700, with the same scope,  while a new ar10 would run about 1200, and you could probably get 700-800 throwing in the BUIS. --- so your wondering if the going to 308 and comining up with about 500 for it -- is worth the trouble????----- yes.
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:43
trust me flyspy1 - i am NO ar master,optics master, expert shooter, or a qualified gunsmith ... lol ... i only do what i can with what i have ... but i do ok for an under educated smart a$$ , who seems to ask way to many questons
what do ya'll think about the 6.8 anyhow ?

so what your saying dale is that the ar10 is worth trading this one for, or would you go with a $300 6.8 barrel ? and keep everything else the same ? i'm not sure i understood what you were saying ... sorry

Edited by sinsir - December/04/2007 at 18:50
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 18:52
Personally, i think you'd be better off with the 308.  It's tried and true.  I know that the 6.8 is all the rage right now, especially among the uber-tactical, but you can do ANYTHING with the 308 right now today!  I'm pretty sure that after however many years of the .308 being around, we've worked out most of the bugs.  Just my $.02
sinsir View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinsir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 19:56
ya, after looking into it i would need a bolt head,barrel,and modified mags ... i do believe your right flyspy, the .308 is looking better. i'm guessing that i'll be able to make a good trade on that dpms i've been eyeballing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic