OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Boat tail or flat base

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat tail or flat base
    Posted: December/03/2007 at 09:47
I was a gun show the other dya and over heard to guys arguing. The question was.

Dose a boat tail bullet burn out a barrel faster than a flat base bullet?

What is ya'll thoughts on this?

BGig
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 10:14
this old wives tail has been around since the first Speer reloading man. based on the supposition that the flame front is shaped like a wedge at the base of the bullet on a bt. Even if it did-- so what the advantages outweight the loses. Either are going to cause their toll if pushed at the upper limits, and describing a case using an all things being equal would be difficult.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 13:00
It makes something good to argue about in the off season........I've never subscribed to the theory myself. I believe heat burns out a barrel throat faster than any other cause.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 13:04
really unless your shooting bullets made of an extremely hard substance i dont see how one bullet design would cause more erosion than another.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 13:44
I honestly don't see how one would be different than the other.I have read about a wedge effect with boattail bullets.But i have found no true data on it.I guess it's like looking for big foot

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 20:25
This is a good one here!!! If there is a difference in would be minimal IMO........A boat tail bullet because of its taper towards the tail or base will have less surface of the bullet riding down the bore!!! On the other hand, a flat based spitzer will have more ass area for the gas to push against!!!................Only way to know for sure is to chronograph them both in many different rifles, group them by the same cartridges, then take the average velocities for each bullet, then divide into the amount of rifles tested to get the average velocity.....A good research project for others, but not for me!!!!!  
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 05:54
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I guess it's like looking for big foot

I like that and probably just as true. The marketing war between Speer and Sierra thirty years ago was pretty aggressive and the boat tail/barrel damage was B.S. In my years of reloading I can say that the advantages to a boat tail have out weighed any negatives. I have seen my best accuracy with them and no undue barrel wear over countless rounds of 30.06 and .308. 
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 07:17
I thought it was funny how they just keep on and on and on about it.It is amazing how a marketing schem can still be argued over after so many years.Anyways just thought i would ask some of you with more knowledge than i have in that field.
Thanks again

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 07:56
You can also debate how crown effects both bullet styles also. Especially an 11 degree vs a recessed 90 degree. For some reason so far all my rifles have preferred boat tail designs over flat bases in the accuracy department.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:45
mine are the exact opposite, i only have one that prefers a boat tail desing the rest shoot flat bases better.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 11:26
another very real advantage of bt, is in the reloading process, where they tend to "shave" less on tight necks. (particularly in bb, bevel base cast bullets for pistol reloading).
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 11:32
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

another very real advantage of bt, is in the reloading process, where they tend to "shave" less on tight necks. (particularly in bb, bevel base cast bullets for pistol reloading).

Good point, Dale
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 11:40
I have shot both.I like the boat tails myself.I can get them to group better than a flat base.I know the next gun load build up might not work the same but so far all has been good.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 11:46
I'm curious, I wonder if the twist rate will determine whether or not a barrel likes one more than the other?  
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 11:50
It might have a little.But i think more of the way gas is displaced at the end of the tube is the major factor.If it is even or say 25% on top side and 25% on the bottom 30% on right and 20% on the right.This will make the base of the bulet yaw to the left and fly like it is tracking.
I look at it as if i twitch my hand while shooting a bow.the back of the arrow will be pushed out the way your hand gose.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 11:54
pushed out the way your hand gose
pushed out the way your hand gooses
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 11:56
Antlers in the tree top Who goosed the Moose?

Cyborg
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 11:57

I can't do anything but sit here and laugh now.I'm stupid lol

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 11:59
We are a strange lot aren't we? Or are we just seriously funny?

Cyborg
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 12:01
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

We are a strange lot aren't we? Or are we just seriously funny?

ALL THE ABOVE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic