OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treeshepherd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III
    Posted: December/02/2007 at 22:19
I was considering this scope for my next rifle, but like many believe they are a bit overpriced at $469.    I will probably go with the Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 for $399.  Anyone think the Leupold is worth the extra $70.00 ? 
VINCE IN BONO MALUM
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2007 at 22:40
As a former member of the "cult of the golden ring" I can honestly say that after switching from a VX3 to a Conquest 3x9x40 I could not be happier. Well, I could but not for the same price! The conquest is crisper, clearer, and brighter. The etched reticle on the conquest is second to none. That baby is ultra- sharp and black as coal! You will not be disappointed!, Bricat
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 01:29
I have the Leupold 3,5-10x40 and are very happy with it. It is bright, clear and holds it zero.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 09:20
can't go wrong either way,,,but my dinero on the Zeiss or find a 4200 Elite for even a little less
treeshepherd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treeshepherd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 09:34
I just recently bought the 4200 elite 3-9x40 and I'm very pleased with it.   In fact I might buy another, but was wanting to go up to the Zeiss or the discussed Leupold.  
VINCE IN BONO MALUM
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 09:41
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

As a former member of the "cult of the golden ring" I can honestly say that after switching from a VX3 to a Conquest 3x9x40 I could not be happier. Well, I could but not for the same price! The conquest is crisper, clearer, and brighter. The etched reticle on the conquest is second to none. That baby is ultra- sharp and black as coal! You will not be disappointed!, Bricat

Was gonna post but bricat has said exactly what I was going to say so the quote function is easier. Nothing wrong with the leupold vari or vx lll's they were fine scopes..........but just one look through a conquest changed my perceptions quite a few years ago....I was an early convert before it was even cool yet. I remember posting over on AR and getting ripped and flamed so bad that I quit posting there........now a lot of them same guys are singing conquests praise. Just one look and you will see the light.....and the best darn reticle in the class too.....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 09:56
Don't shoot the messenger, but I had both, and preferred the Leupold.  In fact, bought the leupy to replace my Conquest that had broken.  In my humble "grasshopper" opinion the leupy was a little brighter than the zeiss, but then again I did have a bum scope (which they replaced for free, so don't flame me.)  I've heard stories about vexations with the zeiss customer service but I didn't have any problems (other than waiting for it to return).  Worth the extra $?  I don't know, but the Leupy was in my particular case.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treeshepherd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 22:02
Well, I guess at the very least the Leupy is 2 oz lighter and about an inch shorter, not that this is a big deal to me, but it doesn't hurt either.  I will probably go with the Zeiss for the additional savings.  I think from the responses and other posts that they are so close in comparison that on any given day it would be hard to tell the difference. I think Leupold would be even more competitive if their prices reflected the level of performance in relation to other similar products priced somewhat lower........or maybe I will just flip a coin.
VINCE IN BONO MALUM
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 22:25
TRUST THE BRICAT !!!Thumbs%20Up
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 07:51
Set a leupold and a conquest both together on a scope comparator and use your eyes to decide, no need to flip a coin. See which is brighter or clearer......see which has the better reticle for you.......see which has the features you like better. Any larger scope retailer will have a stock with mounts to hold two scopes to compare. You don't have to trust us....trust your eyes!

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 13:25
conquest is a wonderful scope w/ wonderful eye relief - and #4 reticle choice.
and i have treated mine with NO respect and it has performed flawlessly. the ONLY setup
i have had that i would feel perfectly fine NOT checking the zero from season to season.

lots of folks love the leupy's > and there has to be something to that.

but i know from years of mistreating them, that the conquests are the real deal.

good luck.

whichever one fits your eye better (eye relief and eye box) you'll be fine.

J

Edited by jonbravado - December/07/2007 at 13:25
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 13:52
treesheperd,

go to a store and compare the two.  I do not recommend this method of comparing scopes, but in this case it will be clear to you which scope is better.  I did this several months ago.  The conquest is hands down a better scope than the leupy. 
Robert
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treeshepherd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 19:02
I'm going with the Zeiss w/ the #4 reticle.   Thanks guys for all the replies.  
VINCE IN BONO MALUM
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 19:04
Good choice and good shooting.

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 19:06
ive got a better idea buy a kahles ah off the samplelist and fix the problem for good
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 01:17
Great advice.  Kahles is easily better than a conquest.  You will be happy with the conquest though....
Robert
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 05:59
Get the Leupold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Angry

This scope way out performs the "Zoos Cornfest" Sleepy and the B&C reticle is in my professional, all knowing opinion, simply GREAT!!

Lifetime, no jack around warranty...IF you will ever need it, which you probably won't.

Leo is All American too.....And THAT, is the name of that tune.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 06:09
Way out performs the "Zoos Confest" are you kidding me? So please explain the Leupy has what better image, resolution, brightness, holding zero ??  Every VXIII I've seen is NOT as bright and clear as a Conquest.
As for "all American" do a little research Leupold even states that the glass in their scopes is purchased from various glass companies around the world and the majority of it comes from Japan. 
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 06:17
Originally posted by Optimus Prime Optimus Prime wrote:

Get the Leupold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Angry

This scope way out performs the "Zoos Cornfest" Sleepy and the B&C reticle is in my professional, all knowing opinion, simply GREAT!!

Lifetime, no jack around warranty...IF you will ever need it, which you probably won't.

Leo is All American too.....And THAT, is the name of that tune.

dude you are on crack if you think the vxiii is better than a kahles
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 07:25
Poor leupy. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic