OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

keep it or get rid of it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 07:37
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

What cartoon character said,,," I will pay you Tuesday for hamburger today?"..............Pyro! Keep your Browning, use a lead sled and load it down a little!......You would absolutely love the recoil of my 300 WSM Ruger compact, especially when I use max. loads!!!!.Lamp.....Exclamation   

im shooting a pretty hefty load of r-19 as it is, but im shooting more yet out of my 300 win and theres no comparison in felt recoil between the two, i enjoy shooting i dont enjoy an ass kicking, and i know after about 3-5 rounds i start to flinch some.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 07:41
Have you tried a PAST recoil shield for your bench shooting?  We use the Magnum shield on the 450, 375 and with a good butt pad and ear protection helps keep the recoil at a manageable level.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 07:44
nope never heard of it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 07:53
Here's a link to a site with some info
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 07:59
so you think that would help, i have a limbsaver pad that i installed on the rifle, it helped some but the thing with the 300wsm is that its a sharp kick, not a rolling effect that you would get with the 444 and the 450, but it could be my perception as well.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 08:08
Pretty sure it would help.  Spreads the recoil over a much larger area on the shoulder as well as having some absorbing material.  Without it I could only get about 5 shots out of my son's 375 RUM before I had to call it a day.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 08:17
and now i suppose those same 5 shots are bareable now?? i like the browning rifle, i dont like the recoil, it shoots good carries well and it feels good to shoulder it just sucks to shoot off the bench, and another thing i dont really need it to shoot whitetail, but i have, and actually now that i think of it i havent had  that gun in the woods for 4 yrs now, i have been taking other new guns out instead.

Edited by pyro6999 - December/01/2007 at 08:22
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 08:25
You can always trade it in for a 270 WSM!!!!!!!WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedThumbs%20Up............Where`s the laughing emoticon when you need him???????????
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 08:26
a 7 wsm or a 7mm mag maybe but im thinking a .257wby or an old 788 in a 7-08
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 08:32
Bearable is a good way of putting it.  Still not a rifle I'd shoot for fun on a bench but can check sight in now without a visit to a chiropractor or dentist.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 08:37

i like to shoot but i dont like to shoot it, but im thinking i will probably get rid of it, anybody wanna buy it?

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 11:26
Well pyro6999 my good friend.  Forget DC's advice all together, especially his thoughts on Wby. calibers, as he has some inherent bias against them despite their longevity and the fact that they are what they are advertised to be, flat shooting and hard hitting.  The .257 is especially nice, recoil is easily tolerable and the available rifles and stocks are numerable.  Just check them all out and see which one feels best to you.  I would not waste money on a McMillan stock, too much money for what you get.  The higher end Vanguards employ aluminum bedding blocks and the Mark Vs use steel rods that extend into the forearm and butt for stabilization and strength, for their wooden models and their custom shop will do anything you want from glass bedding to aluminum bedding blocks for the wooden rifles.  I know you like synthetic stocks and if you go with a Mark V, you will have everything, i.e., an aluminum bedding block.  The Vanguard action has proven itself all over the world and if you want to replace the trigger, which I find quite reasonable, go for it, its not that expensive.

The question is, should you give up the rifle that you have had so long and is so accurate.  I am not so sure.  You really like that rifle and it is a damn fine firearm.  All of the suggestions made above of how to keep it make sense.  The two things that I would do, is to have a mercury recoil reducer installed and shoot from a rest when working up loads.  A muzzle break is nice, but the report is obnoxious.  My 30-378 has one on it and it sounds like a Howitzer.  It does reduce recoil effectively, but when I hunt with it, it comes off.  Personally, I would keep the rifle, do the above and save money to buy a 257 Wby. in the future.  I am sort of like the fellow above said.  I am against selling guns, buying wholeheartedly for buy guns.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Dolphin - December/01/2007 at 11:32
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 11:27
Pyro!.................. I already have a 300 WSM, so that leaves me out! Do you happen to have a .375 laying around you want to dump? That would be waaaaaay tooooooo much recoil for you!!! I would put a rifle like that to good use!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 11:31
i dont think i need anything bigger than a .338,

where do i get a mercury recoil reducer?? are you talking about a caldwell lead sled when you say a rest??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 11:37
Any local gunsmith can install one and they can be purchased from any of the big sellers, i.e. all of SWFA competitors.  They are installed into the buttstock of the rifle.  A friend of mine had one put in his Browning BAR 300 Win. Mag. with a Kahles scope.  It really did not need it, but he had to have it.  Yeah, and a Caldwell lead sled or any of the other less expensive rests that are available at the big sellers.  I have two, one I bought from Cabelas and the other from Sportsmans Guide.  I use them as rests and to work on my rifles.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 11:43
ive got a limbsaver pad on it already is this something different from a pad?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 11:51
okay i found what you are talking about intresting little device, not sure if it would work on my composite stock , but i guess now that i think about it, i dont see why it wouldnt, but then im putting more money into a gun and no guarrantee it will work enough to help me.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 11:54
hey dogger i cant pm you, it says i can only do ten an hour so yeah he was using the leverevolutions.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 12:01
Yeah,  kinda thought so from what I've heard.  Too bad about his deer.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 12:08
it didnt get away though
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic