OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

keep it or get rid of it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: keep it or get rid of it
    Posted: November/30/2007 at 17:38
here is my issue, i have a 300wsm in a browning a-boltII composite stock black finish it has a 3x9 ffII on it and it shoots very well ive posted target pics in here before, now i really like browning rifles and this one isnt any different except i dont care for the recoil after about 3-5 shots, in the field of course you dont notice it, but off the bench its somewhat annoying, my dad shot it once and vowed never again my brother in law did the same, i put a limbsaver on it and that helped some, but after about 5 shots i noticed i start to flinch, and i really like to shot my guns, and 3-5 times isnt near the amount of shots i wanna shoot, so should i trade it off and buy something else or should i keep it cause i like the rifle and bear through the recoil, there is a big gun show coming up in the first weekend of jan for me and i could look at trading for something or take it to the big box store thats in this town and trade it off there, any thoughts guys??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 17:58
Get a suppressor, any gunsmith can send it off, and some can do it in house. There are several available, You can get the BOSS for your Browning. Yes they do work very well. You could also have it ported.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 18:02
i have a boss on my 300 win mag in the exact same browning abolt and until i bought the cr attachment i hated the excessively loud report it gave when it was shot, but that 300win mag was a sweetheart to shoot, i cant wait till i get it back from my dad, so i really dont wanna put a break on another rifle being deaf once in the woods for an hour sucked.

i am looking at either trading on a .257wby at the box store, or finding a rem 788 in a 7-08 at the gun show and still have enough money to buy a 4200 from chris.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 18:08
I use the Game Ears in the field they noise cancel, yeah the report is loud but the break does increase accuracy and lets you shoot more. The recoil has never been an issue with me, but it is with alot of folks. I'd hate for you to get rid of a gun you love because of recoil. spend the dough on the break, and get some game ears. you really have no idea what you don't hear until you use them. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 18:10
i havent ever shot anything that kicked as bad as this one does .338 is mild compared to my 300wsm. i dont know how much i would gain with a game ear, since i hunt in hardwood forest if the winds blowing at all, all you would hear would be the leaves in the oak trees that are still stuck to the branches.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 19:16
You handload don't you?  Lighter bullet. Less propellent. Simple Physics...
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 19:23
I had a 300WSM, never considered myself a recoil wimp either.......but that sucker kicked harder than any other gun I owned. I never could really get the accuracy I wanted and found it would start to get to me after a spell at the bench. I traded it off and never looked back, wished many a time I had bought the (hold your ears Pyro) 270WSM instead and put a good stock with a good pad on it. Course I coulda waited and rebarreled it at some point but seems like as I get older the little 308 family of cartridges just are fun to shoot and work up loads for. Something to be said for a pleasant day at the range shooting 40-50 rounds in a tee shirt and having fun. I decided a while back to custom build and tune savages for my purposes and if I couldn't get a particular gun under a 1/2" to send the barrel down the road and refit it till it would. Got three now and the 260 will hopefully be my forth.........don't know if I could hold them accuracy standards if I got into hard kicking calibers. Not saying any of you guys couldn't but speaking for myself the lighter they recoil the more relaxed and better I can shoot.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 19:31
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

You handload don't you?  Lighter bullet. Less propellent. Simple Physics...

the only i time im not shooting the same setup shot after shot, is when i am load testing and so no i wouldnt ever load down, even to make the recoil bearable, i like to practice like i would hunt so whatever load is going in the woods is the load i practice with.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 19:35
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

I had a 300WSM, never considered myself a recoil wimp either.......but that sucker kicked harder than any other gun I owned. I never could really get the accuracy I wanted and found it would start to get to me after a spell at the bench. I traded it off and never looked back, wished many a time I had bought the (hold your ears Pyro) 270WSM instead and put a good stock with a good pad on it. Course I coulda waited and rebarreled it at some point but seems like as I get older the little 308 family of cartridges just are fun to shoot and work up loads for. Something to be said for a pleasant day at the range shooting 40-50 rounds in a tee shirt and having fun. I decided a while back to custom build and tune savages for my purposes and if I couldn't get a particular gun under a 1/2" to send the barrel down the road and refit it till it would. Got three now and the 260 will hopefully be my forth.........don't know if I could hold them accuracy standards if I got into hard kicking calibers. Not saying any of you guys couldn't but speaking for myself the lighter they recoil the more relaxed and better I can shoot.

Focus

i talked to rifledude about it and he recommened if i wanted another wsm to buy a 7wsm he said his is a pleasure to shoot and im sure it is, but im thinking either a new .257 wby or an old remington 788 in a 7-08,

focus i agree with you i like to shoot and i shoot for hours at a time and there isnt anything worse than me knowing that, that damn kicker is the next gun i gotta shoot. i have posted pictures of the target and if i can find it in here again i will post it, cause its an accurate rifle especially for a 30 cal mag.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 19:44
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 19:48
depends on how welll you like the action and the caliber. the comb on the a bolts have always been to sharp for me, and the base of the recoil pad doesn't allow the shot to "roll off". If you really like the basic package, consider a manners, or mcmillian stock with a wider rear pad area, and either straight thru the comb or with drop (like a trap gun) and again as wide in the comb diameter. (not getting started on the 257 wby).
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 19:52
dont like the .257?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 20:00
Yea I see by the target it shoots......and I'm not trying to talk you into getting rid of it either. Just was telling you the path I followed, I could have rebarreled it to either 7mm or 270 and would probably have been happy. But sometimes you got other projects happening and just don't do it like you would have in retrospect. I'm not really a large game hunter like a lot of you guys either......for me its whitetails, moose, and a black bear if I want to shoot one. Theres just so many neat fun to shoot cartridges I haven't built and played with yet.......257Bob, 6mm, 22-243, 6.5-284, 358, and several others that I won't be shooting long enough to get to all these. I do admit I still consider a 7mm or 270 WSM at times and may get one of them new centerfeed CRF savages yet.....who knows.

Focus

Edited by Focus - November/30/2007 at 20:03
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Native View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Native Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 20:02
I am morally opposed to gun sales. I only buy!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 20:43
Why not just buy a rest (like the lead sled) and shoot from that?  You wouldn't notice the recoil that way and you could still shoot and hunt with the gun.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 21:05
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Why not just buy a rest (like the lead sled) and shoot from that?  You wouldn't notice the recoil that way and you could still shoot and hunt with the gun.
you know thats not a bad idea right there
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 21:28
What about a recoil reducer in the stock? Is there any other adjustment that you could make to the stock, say a bit of shorting and an oversized recoil pad?  
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 21:47
The way a specific gun fits you personally has a lot to do with felt recoil.  I can shoot my Remington .30-06 all afternoon, for example, but a regular old Winchester .30-.30 just plain beats me up.

Shooting is supposed to be fun!  It's a shame this rifle doesn't work for you, but obviously it doesn't.  Unless you have other Browning rifles just like it that do work for you, you should probably trade it off or restock it as Dale Clifford suggests.  Otherwise, you will be an unhappy shooter (and maybe even develop a flinch).
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 21:50
What cartoon character said,,," I will pay you Tuesday for hamburger today?"..............Pyro! Keep your Browning, use a lead sled and load it down a little!......You would absolutely love the recoil of my 300 WSM Ruger compact, especially when I use max. loads!!!!.Lamp.....Exclamation   
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2007 at 07:35
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

The way a specific gun fits you personally has a lot to do with felt recoil.  I can shoot my Remington .30-06 all afternoon, for example, but a regular old Winchester .30-.30 just plain beats me up.

Shooting is supposed to be fun!  It's a shame this rifle doesn't work for you, but obviously it doesn't.  Unless you have other Browning rifles just like it that do work for you, you should probably trade it off or restock it as Dale Clifford suggests.  Otherwise, you will be an unhappy shooter (and maybe even develop a flinch).

i have a browning abolt in a 300 win mag other than the stainless steel finish and a slightly longer barrel the stocks are the same and that rifle is very pleasant to shoot.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic