OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite 4200 rainguard problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite 4200 rainguard problem
    Posted: November/28/2007 at 20:12
Well...My first hunt with the Elite 4200 and it's pouring buckets of rain. The rain lets up just before dark and I see a deer in the treeline 50 yards out. I pull up the scope and can't see squat. The lenses are condensated over on the outside. I cleaned them off just in time to see the deer go out of sight. I thought that was the whole purpose of Rainguard. I called Bushnell and asked how to clean the lenses and they said I had to send it to them or my warranty would be voided! I asked what about getting dirt on the lenses and they said a dry cloth only. Yeah...right!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 21:59
Your experience to say the least has been totally different or the opposite from not only me but many other 4200 owners. How long had the rain been stopped prior to your attempted shot? The water when contacting the lenses is suppose to turn into droplets and then glide off; kinda like what water droplets do on a freshly waxed car as you are driving down the road!!.......If the lenses fogged up and or had condensation, then you return that scope and get another. Nothing man made is without a defect once in awhile!....If you acquired your scope through a gun dealer, have the dealer get you another. The dealer will send it back as defective. If you got it through SWFA or another distributor, the same should apply and you should contact the distributor. Upon receipt of your defective scope, they should send another!..........Highly unusual for the 4200 to do that!! But as I stated before, it is man made!  
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 06:26
I have been unable to make my scope do what yours did, how interesting. To clean coated lenses blow off any dirt or debris and than use zeiss or birchwood casey lens cleaner that won't harm or degrade coatings. Second use a lens cloth or cotton ball. zeiss makes handy wipes already moistened with lens cleaner, usually available at an eye glass or camera shop. This will clean and bring your lenses back to clear.........the fact that the rainguard isn't working however would have to be addressed by the factory. Wonder if your lenses somehow didn't get the rainguard coating? Since the condensation was external it would indicate the problem was with the rainguard or lack of it not an internal degassing issue.

Focus

Edited by Focus - November/29/2007 at 06:27
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 10:02
Some details I failed to mention. I was in a pop up blind so humidity was really up there. After cleaning off the ocular lense I breathed on it. Same problem. One breath and I can't see. I have another 4200 so I'll try a comparrison. I'm in the middle of gun season so I can't send it back, wait three weeks, then sight in again. I'll just have to deal with this after season. The Bushnell customer service rep seemed to know nothing about scopes. Friendly but useless.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 11:36
I've been though two different sessions with bushnell customer service....in my opinion its one of their weakest areas, 4200 elite is a good scope but the people they have fielding calls are clueless. They need to take a hard look at how leupold and zeiss deal with the customer and apply it to their own company. Sounds like your rainguard simply doesn't work or isn't there. I can't fog mine with going from below zero temps to a wood heated room of 80+ every brand I owned fogged but the elites. I've tried blowing hot humid breath on a cold scope outside and again nothing that I can't see thru well.  Something is amiss with yours from all experience I've had. Try to be patient with them.......the women I talked to were nice but knew less than me....and I had the questions Ermm

Focus

Focus 

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Diana View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 14:23
Focus, PM me. I will help you with your issue.

Edited by Chris Farris - November/30/2007 at 16:05
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 15:00
Diana....you were one of three different reps I spoke to, I always write down names of who I talk to Wink. In that case after six weeks my problem was resolved (should have taken couple days, but you guys stay pretty busy with returns and problems I guess)..........shame it took so long but thats the way it worked with bushnell customer service.
The second problem was never resolved and the scope was traded off a junker on a used rifle....so much for the lifetime warranty. When you guys bought the Bauch and Lomb name to make a jump into the quality scope field (best you offered back then was the Trophy) you were right there with the lifetime warranty for them........when you stopped paying to use the Baush and Lomb monicker and switched to your own name the warranty for any Baush and Lomb products went four wheels up, and suddenly wasn't lifetime anymore.

Like I said  the elites are good scopes but your service and being able to offer any real knowledge over the phone is light years behind leupold and zeiss. Don't take it personal.....you just work for them, you don't set company policy. I'm just bluntly honest when I evaluate a companies service abilities. Been around the track too many times.....

If you want to help someone..........give the post starter some help figuring out why his rainguard don't rainguard Wink
   Focus

Edited by Focus - November/29/2007 at 15:05

Diana View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 16:05
Not all B & L's  had lifetime.  They ranged anywhere from 1 year to Lifetime unlimited. Depending on the manuf. date.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 16:21
Mine was a full lifetime unlimited original Balvar eight......the company warrantied the first one when they were still paying to use the B&L name........ than a few years later when another failed I was told that the name was no longer being used for the scopes...only binos and so the original B&L's were no longer going to be warrantied. End of story.......lifetime unlimited warranty was no longer lifetime....first it was and I get a new scope than it isn't and the next one is ready for the can.  Its over..... nothing to do........  my memory just lasts longer than the scopes lifetime warranty did. I take scope service after the fact pretty serious.......lot of other scope buyers do too. Still say bushnell needs to take a page out of the leupold and zeiss lifetime warranty books.  As you can see by my posts I never fail to honestly recommend your 4200 elite scopes on their merits of being some of the best optics in their class........but I'm also honest about their shortcomings in the service area.

Now why don't you help the guy that started this thread and is apparently really having trouble with his rainguard.......rainguarding?

Focus

Edited by Focus - November/29/2007 at 16:25

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 16:59
Love the Bushnell Elites, but I never make a choice of one of these over another scope based on their Rainguard claim.  May work, may not.  Plus, I try not to hunt in the pouring rain.  Good luck.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 17:44
well im thinking next month im going to take a plunge off the deep end and try the 4200 for myself!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 17:53
The rainguard has always worked flawlessly for me, I've always felt it was a real plus and impossible to fog to the point of not being able to see well enough to shoot. I still believe its a winner and simply not working on the posters scope. I just got mine out and tried to fog it and couldn't with water or hot to cold change.

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 17:55
for me the rainguard isnt going to be the selling point, the glass quality will, so if it isnt everything all you guys have been preaching for the last 6 mo im gonna be pissed. but since i trust most of you i dont think it will be an issue.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 18:02
I have two 4200's and one 3200 with rain guard. I have never had any trouble seeing during a rainy day. Infact when it rains I sit in my climber all day. Now you cant stand your rifle up and let the water lay there. also I have flip up covers mainly to keep the dirt off the lens. But other then that I have always had good field of view.

I even had to send one back that I droped and told them what happen. they sent me a new scope. turn around time was about two weeeks.I sent it over night,and they sent it back same way.

The only trouble I have had with bushnell is there range finders. Bought two one about three years ago. never did work right. Batteries would go dead in one day,They wouldnt stand behind it. Next one is the new elite 1500. just about the same trouble,and I got the same thing fromthem.... Why would it be so hard to put a on/off switch on them????
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 18:10
Pyro the glass is their strongest feature, they are within a whisker of my conquests and the color correction and resolution is excellant. You will not be disappointed in that respect, they track real well also, you don't hear many talk about that but I can square shoot - six down - six right - six up - six left and its right back on target, very repeatable. I'm just puzzled that this fella is having trouble seeing with the rainguard, I think you're gonna like that also.

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 18:49
well i sure do appriciate the good words focus thanks for the insight
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 10:26
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

for me the rainguard isnt going to be the selling point, the glass quality will, so if it isnt everything all you guys have been preaching for the last 6 mo im gonna be pissed. but since i trust most of you i dont think it will be an issue.

Hey Pyro,I think you'll love the 4200......But if you dont you can always buy a 270 and stick the 4200 on it.Evil%20Smile  Big%20smile
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 13:07
pyro6999 really has a closet full of 270s he only brings out for special guests!Clap
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 13:13
yeah, you got a dud - mine works wonderfully.

J
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 14:14

like i said i will take what you guys say about it and believe it until the scope proves otherwise, i trust you guys, and if i dont like it  i will try something else.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic