OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope I Want Doesn't Exist ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 12:11
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Burris Signature Select LRS 4-16x44 has 1" tube, adjustable objective and illuminated reticle.

ILya

...and 3.5" - 4" of eye relief, which is decent.  Good call, Koshkin! 

I didn't look among the Burris offerings because Deadeye seemed down on Burris in general.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
DeadeyeJack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadeyeJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 14:35
Excellent suggestions - thanks so much for all your research.

I agree with the other posters that 3.5" inches of eye relief is satisfactory for most hunting rifles and hunting situations.

But, I was disappointed to see the Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Rifle Scope 200185 has only 3.1" (14X) whereas the Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III Riflescope LEU81110 has a much bett 3.7" (at 14X) - both have 1" tubes.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadeyeJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 14:40
Possible solution - thanks for the research.

It has 3.5" eye relief at max power, which is acceptable.

24 ounce weight is a tad heavy - but acceptable given the other parameters.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 14:41
I would eliminate the illuminated reticle and AO.  I've been hunting a lot of years and have never missed a shot because I didn't have either.  Then you've got more selections than you need, in a lot of price ranges.  Get a good quality scope that will hold its zero, in a power you're comfortable with.  Spend the rest of your on some good binoculars if you don't already have some.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadeyeJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 14:43
I don't need all the 5" of eye relief the Leupold offers, but at 14X the 3.1" offered by the Burris is just inadequate - I agree with most other posters that 3.5" is acceptable.
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 14:47
If you get hit by a scope offering 3.1" of eye relief, you are going to get hit by a 3.5" eye relief scope as well.
Robert
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadeyeJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 14:54
Yes - I'm a skeptic; but my mind is not closed on the matter.

While I believe the eye relief of the Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II 200185 (3.1"@14X) is totally inadequate; the 3.5"@16X offered by the Burris 4-16x44 Signature Select 200772 makes it worth a look.

Generally, I agree Burris makes a decent piece of glass. As always, the old adage caveat emptor (buyer beware) applies. It is up to the consumer to assure a particular scope satisfies their needs.

I think this particular Burris deserves at least a look.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 19:07
what are you putting this scope on, caliber wise? i have a 3x9 ffII on my light weight 300wsm and i dont smacked around
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic