OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite 3200 or 4200?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MMasters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite 3200 or 4200?
    Posted: November/27/2007 at 02:32
I want to scope my Marlin 1895 .45-70. I doubt if I'll ever take a shot past 100 yards, given my terrain.
So I'm thinkin a shotgun scope. 1.5-6 or so. Should I get the 4200 or would the 3200 work OK?

Thanks
Living without Liberty in Kalifornia.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 02:48

Both would certainly do the job. But the better optics are with the 4200, and worth the extra money!

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 03:23
I think both will work.  The 4200 as stated above is better glass and worth the extra money.

Are you using standard loads for the .45/70?  The hot magnum stuff from Buffalo Bore or Garretts rock pretty good and if you use those loads I would want the longest possible eye relief.  

One that I was thinking about for my Guide Gun is the Sightron.
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 06:40
4200 You won't be sorry. It's a nice step up from the 3200.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
MMasters View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MMasters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 08:03
Ya know, I originally was thinking of the Sightron and partly because of the eye relief, but started looking at the Elites after reading some of the posts on this site. I do wear glasses and 3+ inches of eye relief isn't much! Mabe I should reconcider.
Living without Liberty in Kalifornia.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 08:16
I would definitley opt for more eye relief than the 4200 offers - that is the ONLY bad thing about those scopes. they have great glass/construction.

maybe the new monarchs? they have the constant 4" like the conquests do, apparently.

good luck. and welcome to the OT.

J
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 08:42
The new Monarchs have good eye relief, price is pretty steep.

Also you might want to consider the Burris Safari series
They also have decent eye relief.   I've also thought of doing a Scout scope set up on mine that might be another option for you.

AC
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 09:04
MMasters,

Here is another scope you might want to consider.  I know for a fact it works very well on a Marlin 45-70.

Here is a review by koshkin:

Hope this helps,

Steve
Diana View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 15:32
They are both great pieces of glass. The 4200 has 95% light trans, the 3200 has about 90%. The 4200's has titanium, this gives the scope 30% more strenth than a typical scope. 
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 16:04

4200 worth the extra money definately! Both would work though.

One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 15:41
Sightron Big Sky has 4" eye relief........so does the 3x9 conquest.........new monarchs are 4" also. I'd want a good 4" eye relief scope on a 45/70. Any of these scopes have good warranties if things ever go bad. My buddie is using a 3x9 conquest on a 366DGW (416 necked down to .366) and a 450WSM both guns are kickers but no problems.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic