OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone with opinions about Vortex Diamondbacks??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone with opinions about Vortex Diamondbacks??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouthcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone with opinions about Vortex Diamondbacks??
    Posted: November/26/2007 at 17:33

I really enjoy these forums and thanks in advance for any helpful comments

My son and I hunt quite a bit together (deer, waterfowl, and turkey).  He is 11 now and needs some binos of his own.  He's been a pretty good boy in '07 so Santa may just come through.

He really likes the view from my Pentax 8X43 DCF-SPs, but until he demonstrates that he can keep up with something for longer than 10 minutes I am unwilling to spend that much jack.  I want to spend about $200.00 to $250.00 tops for these Christmas binoculars.  They will be 8 power and "full size" and must be optically decent (can't expect great for this price), completely water- and fogproof, nitrogen purged, fully multicoated, phase corrected and carry a lifetime warrenty.

I have become really interested in the Vortex Diamondback in 8X42, which at about $200.00 is well within my target price.  Does anyone have any experience with this glass?  I spoke with the rep from Vortex today who said they were exactly what I was looking for  (go figure that :-).  ).  I have read glowing comments about Vortex and the warrenty is impressive, assuming the company will be around long enough to honor the warrenty.

Others in this price range include the Pentax DCF HS and Nikon Monarchs (pushing $250.00 + in 8X36, however, and may be out of my price range).  He doesn't want poro-prism binos which I suggested might be better optically (he thinks they look dorky and Dad's DCF-SPs have spoiled him).

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Mouthcaller

Edited by mouthcaller - November/26/2007 at 17:41
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 18:33
At age 11 you just need to make sure that the binocular you purchase him has a narrow enough IPD, so that his eye pupils line up with the exit pupils of the binocular.

The easiest thing to do is  have a measurement taken at an eye doctor, that way you will know, prior to buying, just what his size is.  

Edited by Bird Watcher - November/26/2007 at 18:38
mouthcaller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouthcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 18:39
Bird Watcher

He uses my Pentax DCF SPs without a problem, so I presume he can utilize the Diamondbacks also.   Am I wrong?  He is a pretty good size kid. 

Thanks

Mouthcaller
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 18:42
As long as he does not experience any eye discomfort, or strain, (headaches) he might be developed enough for adult binoculars.

Edited by Bird Watcher - November/26/2007 at 19:38
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic