OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica 1200, Bushnell 1500, Leupold RXIV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojavemax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica 1200, Bushnell 1500, Leupold RXIV
    Posted: November/26/2007 at 09:23
Please help, I am trying to buy my boyfriend for Christmas a laser rangefinder.  I have been trying to do my research, but I just can't figure out the best one to get.  He doesn't use it for hunting or golfing, he needs it for all the sniper schools he goes too.  I know the Marine Corps is using the Leica 1200 and it has outstanding optics, but doesn't have ARC.  The bushnell has ARC, but not good for all lighting and the display can be hard to read at times, Leupold RXIV I think has ARC and obviously by name brand I am believing in good to read display and optics.  I was just going to purchase the Leupold, but now after reading all the discussion topics I just don't know.  Okay, so I don't know too much about guns or sniper training schools, heck I don't even know what he is shooting at, but I want to get the best.  Mind you, I am only a 26 yr old woman, so I'm definitely not rich, but I would rather spend a little extra money on getting a better product.  Suggestions, comments, concerns, or even a better rangefinder over all that I didn't list above please advise.  I need all the help I can get.  Thank you!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 13:51
pretty much budget dependant-the swaro is the best if distancing range is the main priority then the Leica, the leos have a lot of built in features that are fun to play with, but your lucking to 800 yds out them.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 17:16
It's probably just me...

I tried the Leupold rx-iv. It appeared to be the one to get with it's TBR system for hunting. I couldn't get that thing to range find anything over 500+ hundred yards. I worked with their customer service, which is very good, but with the same results even when we turned off all the extra features. Yes, I tried a second unit thinking the original device was bad.

I ended up getting the Leica crf1200 and couldn't be happier.

Edited by mike650 - November/27/2007 at 00:07
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 17:17
I disagree.
Leica is far better than swarovski when it comes to measurement, both speed and accuracy.
But the optics of the Swarovski is far better than any other rangefinder on the market.

My chois is easy, I need the rangefinder to determine the range, then I use a good binocular to find the animal.
So go for Leica.

Regards Technika
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 23:06
I just went through the same issue. Looked at the Bushnells, Leupold, Leica and Swarovski. Ended up buying the Leica CRF 1200. The Bushnell elite was not that bad, but very large and cumbersome. The Leupold was very dark, and the view was very busy, hard to operate in field conditions too many options and menus to go through. The Swarovski had the best view, larger than the Leica but was slow to range too much of a delay to get a reading. The large aiming spot is not as precise as the Leica, easy to miss the target at longer range.  The Leica was quick and easy to use, look aim and press to range. IMHO the best of the current available rangefinders clear optics and eyeglass friendly. Only issue is the CRF is rather small and hard to remain still aiming at longer distance. Works well to at least 900 yards on game aminals that I hard ranged in the field. Large reflective objects to over 1200 yards.

HTH
Ron   
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 12:15

My first post in a long while and I'm going to open-up sounding like an idiot, but my mind is just blank.

I can't recall what the difference is between a reflective and non-reflective target is?

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 13:12
stud duck-- good to hear from you, been a long time . klingon anti cloaking device.
nickelstick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 21:38
So what did you get that marine of yours?................please say leica 1200.
mojavemax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojavemax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 15:23
I did get the Leica 1200.  He loves it.  Thanks.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 20:32
Will the Leica 900 range a deer out to 900 yds?  I got a Bushnell  Yardage Pro 450 for Christmas, but its only good to about 200 yds on deer, which isn't far enough for where I hunt.
take em!
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 16:52
I highly doubt that the Leica 900 will range a deer at 900 yards.  I am not sure if the 1200 will do it, and I have the CRF 1200.  I have ranged broadside cows (not black ones though) at over 800 yards, but a cow is a much larger target than a deer.  I can range a pine tree (which is not very reflective) at over 1300 yards.  I can tell you that a deer is a very small target at 900 yards.  You will find that just keeping the target in the window (even with a steady rest) is quite hard.  Combine that with the fact that you can't guarantee that the deer will be standing broadside, and you have a very challenging target.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 17:33
Usually your not seeing a deer in a wide open area with no kind of cover around. So... it's really easy to range a large rock, tree, bush, what ever else the deer is standing or resting next to and get the range distance, that is if your having troubles. That's what I would do if I couldn't get a proper reading of the animal I'm range finding.

I ranged a small bush next to where my cousin's stand is at 1,316 yards with no troubles, just keep you aim steady.  

Edited by mike650 - February/22/2008 at 22:13
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 12:44
Yep, messing with a rangefinder to get a reading on the deer may cost you the deer.......i.e. it takes extra time.  I find that it is usually best to take some sample readings when you get in the stand then commit them to memory for when the deer walks out.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 15:04
Originally posted by CWPINST CWPINST wrote:

Yep, messing with a rangefinder to get a reading on the deer may cost you the deer.......i.e. it takes extra time.  I find that it is usually best to take some sample readings when you get in the stand then commit them to memory for when the deer walks out.

You got it!!  Cheers

Edited by mike650 - February/23/2008 at 19:30
ssf467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssf467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 23:21
Leica 1200
niles coyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niles coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 00:21
Interesting read... Ok so which is better leica 1200 compact or standard? For genneral hunting/ target work?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 08:35
Originally posted by niles coyote niles coyote wrote:

Interesting read... Ok so which is better leica 1200 compact or standard? For genneral hunting/ target work?

I've only used the crf1200 which I guess would be the compact. I'm so happy with it I wouldn't even consider anything else but that same model if I had to do it all over again.
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 22:16
I think that the LRF is a little easier to hold, but the CRF is easier to pack.  The CRF is also waterPROOF, the LRF is waterRESISTANT.  The battery lasts twice as long on the CRF.  Both are great.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 17:38
The crf has very good glass also. My only complaint is if there is a lot of haze it is hard to get a range.. If any thing ever happens to it, it will be replaced with another Leica.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic