OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-2 1-4x20 or MR/T 1.15-5x20?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoJAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-2 1-4x20 or MR/T 1.15-5x20?
    Posted: November/25/2007 at 20:45
The Leupold VX-2 1-4x20 and the MR/T 1.5-5x20 with the illuminated reticle appear to be two similar scopes, except in price. The VX-2 1-4 costs around $300 while the MR/T 1.5-5 costs around $850. I've narrowed down my choice for a scope on a Sig 556 rifle to these two models. My purpose will be to target shoot at the range (50-200 yards) and for possible SHTF use, if the need arises.

I already have two semi-auto, magazine fed rifles with red-dot optics on them (VEPR with a PK-AS-V and Tromix Saiga with Bushnell 1x32 red/green dot), so I don't really need another red dot scope.  I considered a Leupold CQ/T but when I read that the eye relief was only about an inch at 3X magnification, that pretty much killed it for me.

Which of these two would you buy for this purpose? What are their differences or pros/cons for this purpose?  One is almost 3 times as expensive as the other. Is the real-world benefit of the MR/T 1.5-5 three times better than the VX-2 1-4? One of the primary reasons why I chose these two scopes, is that they seem to be particularly durable. Are they of equal durability? Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by GeoJAP
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 22:19

mk4 is 4 times better also look at the IOR with the CQR. -- 1x4 has been around along time, used one on a heavy for a while about  10 years ago, the mk4 SPR is much better than than the duplex types. the mk also has m2 turrets which allows you to dial in hold over or use the reticle, 10 moa of the circle gives you about 400 yds.

GeoJAP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoJAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 20:41
After reading all the opinions of similar scopes, I've actually decided to go with a Sightron SII Big Sky  1.5-5x20 scope.  It sounds like this scope is a real winner with great clarity and very stout durability.  It also seems like it offers a lot of scope for the money, which is another reason to purchase it for a semi-auto (versus some long range tack driver).  Thanks again for the recommendations, much appreciated.

Edited by GeoJAP - November/27/2007 at 20:41
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 04:47
Nice wep Dale.
Guess its up to you and me will have to love the Leupolds around this forum huh.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 08:03
i have a web address where all disowned, disfigured and cast aside leos may be sent. they will receive a proper home with care, heavy use, and counseling after years of verbal abuse.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 08:27
There isn't anyone here who doesn't love Leupold, nobody bashes Leupold, contrary to the it's a Leupold or nothing crowds beliefs. I happen to love mine, I had two now only one due to a thief. I'd love to have that one back but I'll not be buying one to replace it, quite simply I can buy another IOR, for the same money and it's better. If Leupold were to drop their prices about 25% they'd be the best bargain period, I doubt anyone in their right mind would argue otherwise.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 08:50
the main reason I don't get too many orphans
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic