OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My low light observations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My low light observations
    Posted: November/25/2007 at 19:34
  I have 2 Burris Fullfield II scopes a 3-9 and a 4.5-14, and a SS 10X.  I took them all out on my back patio and looked a various things out to 400 yards until dark.  I couldn't tell much difference at first, but as it got darker the SS got better with every minute.  Right at full dark I couldn't make out anything with either Burris, but could still make out metal fence posts with the SS.  I was very surprised I thought the Burris would be better.  Well anyway just thought I would share.  Has anyone else done any non-scientific testing?  catt
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 21:42

My brother-in-law and myself once did our own test by comparing our older B&L elite 3000 3-9x50's against a Leupold vari-x III 3.5-10x50 , and those against various sizes of Seeadler's. The results were that the B&L and the Leupold both lasted to the same time when it got dark ( about 6:50p.m.). (only stars- no moon) Surprisingly, the Seeadler 50, 56 , and 60mm scopes performed well into the night and provided a good enough detail to identify and shoot a target right up until we finished around 8:00 in the evening. (Dec. last year) 

Derek

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 02:18
catt-tracker, what magnification did you have the Burris scopes set to?  Generally, Super Snper has better glass than FFII, so your results are not surprising. 

ILya
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 08:55
The Burris FFII is made poorly and you should compare with a Nikon Buckmaster which are made in the same country.The SS is better and you should compare to a Sightron II or Bushnell Elite 4200.
catt_tracker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 12:42
I had the 3-9 on 9 power and the 4.5-14 on 10 power.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic